October 2014 Moms

Major Daycare Guilt :(

DS has now been in full day daycare for a few days (9hrs per day) and it's killing me. The center is top notch and he seems to be happy and relaxed while I'm gone (eating and sleeping etc) but I'm having such a hard time knowing that he's only with me for roughly 5 waking hours per day, 5 days a week! The guilt is starting to feel heavy and overwhelming.

Anyone else feeling this way? Any advice on how to get past the working mom guilt?

Re: Major Daycare Guilt :(

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't focus on the quantity of time but on the quality of time instead. It might also help to make a list of the benefits of working, not just financially but socially as well. Give it some time as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am so sorry you're going through that. I go back to work next week and fear that it will be rough. I think the mornings will be the hardest. Find someone you can talk to about this that won't get annoyed. I'm planning on talking to my mom on the phone from drop off till I get to work so I have some emotional support as I transition to work mode. Hope it gets better for you! Day care babies turn out wonderful. It's just hard on us moms.
    January siggy contest - Snow Fail
  • I feel no guilt about leaving my kid in capable hands while I go to work to be able to provide for her. But, then again, I have no soul. I miss her. But I have no guilt.
    Same here. I pondered writing that but felt a little heartless so I didn't. Thanks for taking the plunge and doing it first.
    No problem! I'm the resident Grinch. My heart is two sizes too small...
  • I'll add that I love my daughter. But it's easier to love her when I get a break from her. That sounds awful, but it is what it is. I was not meant to be a stay-at-home parent. When I was with her all the time, I wasn't "present." Now that I only get a few hours a day during the week, I shut down the outside world when I AM with her. I get my 30 minutes in the morning to read to her, feed her and dress her, then I get the evenings with her. Sure, right now the evenings suck because she's a hot mess from 7-8, but I will really value that time when she's older and it's "bath night" and there are bedtime stories. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"