Baby Showers

Is It Worth the Drive?

Hey Ladies, 

I searched and perused the board and couldn't find any posts similar to this, so if there is one please link to it and we'll let this thread die.

My situation: My SIL just offered to throw it my baby shower and while she needs to figure out an exact location for it, we know it would be in my hometown in So-Cal.The majority of the friends I would invite are about an hour and a half away in LA where I'd been living for the past 9 years until my husband and I moved way up north at the end of this past summer.

So the question is would you drive an hour and a half to attend the baby shower? I feel like it's worth it mainly for two reasons: 1) The minimum drive time in LA anywhere is 30-45 minutes, so an hour and a half is not a drastically long drive compared to what most living in LA are used to. 2) I haven't seen these girls, with the exception of a few who have visited us up north, since end of July, baby shower would be in March, so this would also be like a mini-reunion party too. But these are my opinions, I wouldn't be the one doing the drive and I don't want to assume everyone would want to do it just for a baby shower and/or to see me.
GBCB - Gone to the Dark Side

Re: Is It Worth the Drive?

• I would definitely drive for a good friend or family member. I've driven 2 hours for visits less portant before. It's different when you live in the city, it takes forever to get anywhere lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies! This reassures me I'm not being presumptuous about the shower being worth the drive. I'd only consider inviting close friends anyway for it, keep it small, intimate, and fun.
  • If my friend lived in my town , but chose to have her shower in a different town that I had to drive to , no, no I would not go... I have two guests to mine that live near my home town which is an hour away , you know what I spend every Christmas and other family event driving that way for the sake of them. I'm not making my friends drive that way for my shower when I can have a perfectly good one here at home in comfort and only two people out of 20 are inconvenienced .. ( my mother and sis in law) ... I think it's only fair. But that's my opinion..
  • VORVOR member
    nomesy said:
    If my friend lived in my town , but chose to have her shower in a different town that I had to drive to , no, no I would not go...
    She no longer lives in LA.  She and her DH moved.

OP - as others said, for a GOOD friend, yes, I'd make the drive.  Especially for the fact that you moved and I wouldn't see you as much.  I'd be excited about this. 
  • dufferoo said:
    I'd drive it for someone I was close with.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I'd absolutely make the trip for a close friend!
    I personally don't find an hour and a half all that long a trip anyway but I drive an hour to work daily.
  • Yes and especially if the invitations gave me plenty of time to plan the day and the drive :)
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Definitely! Especially for close friends, I'm sure they will be thrilled for an excuse to come visit.
  • To me, that is a commute to work on a snowy day. Of course I would drive with a smile on my face and wouldn't think twice about it!
  • Yes and especially if the invitations gave me plenty of time to plan the day and the drive :)

My husband is really close with some of the girls' husbands so I was thinking about having him send a little text invite to the guys to see if they wanted to come up too and hang out with him while we're all at the shower. My hometown is a romantic, beachy town so I was thinking maybe the couples would be able to make a full day out of it or something if they wanted to make the drive a little more worthwhile.

Thank you again ladies! I'll definitely be inviting my LA friends and won't feel like it's a "gift invite". I.e. "I know you won't make this drive but I'm sending you this invite in the hopes you'll send me a gift."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"