August 2014 Moms
Options

Grandparent names?

I was wondering what kind of names your LO's grandparents are going by/want to go by. I'm currently a little annoyed because my MIL calls herself "mum mum" and says that to DD all the time. I feel like "mum mum" is way to close to "mom." I don't know... Maybe I'm being irrational? Do any of your grandparents go by this?

Re: Grandparent names?

• Options
    I don't know if it would necessarily bother me. I've only really heard kids refer to their parent as "mum" in the UK. If it bothers you I would just make a point of calling her "grandma" or whatever you would like to LO. Like, if you hand her over just say, "you are going to sit with grandma!"

Also, I'm PW of the week I guess.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My step dad is "Pa," which is another name for dad, but we don't really mind because DH is going by dad or daddy, so there won't be any confusion. 

We have Nani and Pa, Grandpa and Grandma, and Mimi and Pap.
    August 2014 Siggy Challenge: Motivational Speaking for Moms
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jamjoyful said:

I don't know if it would necessarily bother me. I've only really heard kids refer to their parent as "mum" in the UK. If it bothers you I would just make a point of calling her "grandma" or whatever you would like to LO. Like, if you hand her over just say, "you are going to sit with grandma!"

I've actually done this- and she will correct me! I'm probably being a little ridiculous but it just rubs me the wrong way.
  • Options

jamjoyful said:

I've actually done this- and she will correct me! I'm probably being a little ridiculous but it just rubs me the wrong way.
    That's a little strange. Does she have other grandkids??
  • Options

No, DH is an only child and DD is the first baby. She's extremely possessive of DH and is always in competition with me. She calls around dinner time almost every day asking what I'm cooking for DH. She wants to make sure he's "properly fed." Seriously? It drives me nuts. I think this is why the "mum mum" irritates me so much. Sorry for the rant.
  • Options
    My parents are Papa and Nana. The other grandkids call her Grammy but DS1 refused to call her that. The ILs are Grandpa and Grandma but DS1 sometimes calls her Grammy. But it usually sounds like "Dranpa and Drammy".
  • Options

I was wondering what kind of names your LO's grandparents are going by/want to go by. I'm currently a little annoyed because my MIL calls herself "mum mum" and says that to DD all the time. I feel like "mum mum" is way to close to "mom." I don't know... Maybe I'm being irrational? Do any of your grandparents go by this?

I am in a slightly similar situation. Grandma in French is mami and pronounced very similar to mommy. I was really uncomfortable with this and had to subtly voice my opinion. My MIL was nice about it and now goes by mamina, although she forgets sometimes.

Have you had a conversation about how you feel?

• Options

No, DH is an only child and DD is the first baby. She's extremely possessive of DH and is always in competition with me. She calls around dinner time almost every day asking what I'm cooking for DH. She wants to make sure he's "properly fed." Seriously? It drives me nuts. I think this is why the "mum mum" irritates me so much. Sorry for the rant.

WTF?! She calls to make sure your husband is eating?

Have you tried discussing it with you H? Maybe he could talk to her!
  • Options
    arcarpe2 said:

I am in a slightly similar situation. Grandma in French is mami and pronounced very similar to mommy. I was really uncomfortable with this and had to subtly voice my opinion. My MIL was nice about it and now goes by mamina, although she forgets sometimes.

Have you had a conversation about how you feel?

I haven't come right out and said I didn't like it, but I've always been obviously uncomfortable with it. I will call her "grandma" and when she corrects me I say "I like grandma better" and she will get all pouty and hurt. She acts like a child. And then she goes back to calling herself "mum mum"
  • Options
    jamjoyful said:

WTF?! She calls to make sure your husband is eating?

Have you tried discussing it with you H? Maybe he could talk to her!

Yeah, H had lost about 15 pounds when he started running again and she got all mad at me for not feeding him. It was ridiculous. She, of course, acts all nice and sweet around H but he knows what she does/says to me. He confronted her about it a couple times and she just cries and says we hate her. So we always end up trying to patch things up with her so she doesn't get all hysterical.
  • Options
    My parents are Mammi & Pappi.
    Mil and Fil are Bubbie & Zaidie.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options

My parents are Mammi & Pappi.
    Mil and Fil are Bubbie & Zaidie.

I really like all of those!
  • Options
    cdseno said:

My parents are Papa and Nana. The other grandkids call her Grammy but DS1 refused to call her that. The ILs are Grandpa and Grandma but DS1 sometimes calls her Grammy. But it usually sounds like "Dranpa and Drammy".

So cute!!
  • Options
    Kandreas1 said:

Haven't heard mum mum before. I don't think I would like that.

We have

Nana & Papa
    Nanny & Grampie
    Grandpa & Grandpa
    My parents go by nanny and grampie too :)
  • Options
    My parents are Grandma & Grandpa. ILs and their spouses are Grandma & Grandpa with first names. My MIL refers to herself as Crazy Grandma....not sure if that will stick, especially since SMIL is actually the looney one.
  • Options
    I really want her to call my parents Memere and Pepere, but we'll see if she can pronounce it since we don't actually speak French (my grandmother was from Paris).  I even bought an "I love my memere" onesie for her.

ILs are just grandpap and grandma.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Joycomesinthemorning‌ my MIL goes by Mama with her other 3 grandkids, not sure how it started or when because they were born before I met my husband. When we had our baby my husband made a big deal (just to me) about calling his mom mama! I absolutely won't and I hate it and I will do everything so Max doesn't call her that! I have cried about it. I actually never refer to my MIL now by any name (except her first name). On a plus side she is a weak person (I love her though) so she won't make a fuss and at Christmas gave max a book and signed it grandma. So I have that little hope.

I'm his mama

Anyways my mom is called Baba (which is what we called her mom).
  • Options
    DS has:
    Grandma and Grandpa (MIL and stepFIL)
    Grandma and Pepere (stepMIL and FIL)
    Zsa Zsa and Pa (my stepmom and my dad)

But he's the first grandchild for my dad and MIL (and his only cousin so far on FIL's side is only six months older than him), so those could turn into something completely different once he's talking. My aunt was a Grandma until my cousin's oldest started talking and called her Gigi, which later evolved into Geegs.
  • Options
    My parents are Grandma and Papa. MIL refers to herself as Granny which is fine. I figure LO may come up with his own version of all that anyway :)
  • Options
    We have

Grammie and Papa (my mom/stepdad)
    Grammie Vegas and Blu (MIL and SO)
    Grandpa (my dad)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

We have a whole cast of characters because DH's parents are divorced and remarried. My parents are divorced but not remarried.....

Grandma & Papa (DH's mother and step father)
    Nanny & Papa (DH's step mother and father)
    Grandma (My Mom)
    Grandpa (My Dad)

I have one living grandmother who goes by "GG"

Aww LO has a GG also. I really love that name.

• Options
    We have a 

Grammy, Pappy Mike (my parents)
    NeNe, Pappy Turk (DH's parents)
    Grandma and Papap (my grandparents)
     Pop pop (DH's grandfather)
     Meem (babysitter)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• Options
    Mum mum would annoy me. I would call her grandma or maybe grandma mum mum. Mil and fil are grammie and papa. I thought it was weird to have the special grandparent names unless it was and established tradition, but now I know a ton of people who choose these so I guess it's common. I wanted DH to be papa so I was bummed when they decided this when our nephew was born, but dh just goes by dada/daddy.
    I'll add another piece of drama to the mix. My mom started calling her so grandpa when dd1 was born. I couldn't believe it. They are now married, but it still drives me crazy. I call him by his name and just avoid referring to him through the kids point of view. When they are older I will talk to them about it and they can decide...or avoid like me, healthy right?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Mum mum would make me furious. I guess if it was me I would make DH have it out with her about that because it sounds to me like she is going to be overly possessive of your child the way she is of her own. She should not be trying to be a substitute mommy.

This might sound a little harsh because I have MIL issues of my own and if she did this I would have a cow. I am just all for boundaries.

FTR, ours are all just Grandma and Grandpa.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it annoying. Ugh now I want to seriously say something but I know she will act childish. :(
  • Options
    I actually hate when grandparents decide on their own nickname. I don't know why it bugs me so much.

My MIL insists on being called Nana. I call her grandma usually. If the kids have their own nickname for her, that's fine.
  • Options
    My parents are Nana and Pops. My IL's are YaYa and Grandpa.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    jenniferursjenniferurs member
    edited January 2015
    Grandma (stepmother-in-law), Grandpa (father-in-law), Grandma (mother-in-law), and Grandma (mom).

I don't like anything else, so their wishes were vetoed.
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Options
    I get bent out of shape over plenty of other things but this is one battle I choose not to fight with the grandparents. Since at the end of the day the kids will pick their own names for them. If I hated one of the grandparent names, I would just frequently refer to that grandparent by my chosen name for them when talking to my child. If the grandparent were likely to correct me, then I'd do it when they weren't around. Chances are your child will either make up their own name or use yours.

My parents are Grandma and Granddaddy. ILs are Lola and Lolo (Filipino). My nephew calls ILs Wowa and Wowo since he learned their names before he could pronounce "L"s.
  • Options
    My mom is granny his mom is ganny
    He also has a stepmom she will be Aunty cause that's what we call her and her grandad will be grandad I guess.
  • Options
    My daughter calls her one grandmother - Grandmommy. My daughter came up with it in her own. Her grandmother wanted to be called Grandmother but loved what my daughter came up with.

She calls her other grandmother - Nana

I called both my grandparents mom mom and pop pop growing up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    We have Grampie and Gram-moose for my in laws (my DH calls his mom the moose because she is clumsy, and she loves it. Lol). My parents went by Meme and Unky to the kiddos that my mom babysat so I thought my mom would definitely be Meme, and despite my best efforts my dad would be unky because that is what their "unofficial first grandkids" called them. My mom passed in May, so they don't have the kids everyday anymore. This made it easier to not call dad Unky, and usually he gets called Gramps. We also call my Aunt Diane Grammy Maude to LO because she is the grandmother or great grandmother to all the other young kids in the family (my dad has always called her Maude. No one is called their real name in my family. haha).

Also, I would say to talk to you mil about being Mum Mum, but she sounds like she isn't super cooperative. Maybe your DH can discuss with her why it is an issue (especially for when LO starts babbling and saying mama! She sounds like the kind of woman who would insist she is talking about "mum mum" instead.) and ask her to choose another name. Maybe her choosing a new name herself would make her a little less miserable about it.
  • Options
    We've got a..
    Nana
    Grandpa
    Papa
    Popi
    Grandma
    Yaya
    Nai Nai (Chinese for grandma)
  • Options
    My son calls my parents meema and beepa, lol! We are using grandma and grandpa, he just can't say them yet . but if my mom just wanted to be called meemaw or mama or something? Nope. Not gonna fly. I'm the only mama in these kiddos lives.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    We have Gigi & crazy old man (my step dad, what my mom calls him because he really hasn't said anything)
    Nana & grandpa.

We also have my dad and step mom but they haven't said anything.

• Options
    lynds002 said:

My step dad is "Pa," which is another name for dad, but we don't really mind because DH is going by dad or daddy, so there won't be any confusion. 

We have Nani and Pa, Grandpa and Grandma, and Mimi and Pap.

My grandparents, LOs great grandparents are Nonnie and Pa

Mil and FIL are deaf so grandma and grandpa because we can teach the signs that go along with it

My mom is Grammy Kimmy
  • Options
    You are not being irrational. When we announced our pregnancy, my overbearing MIL immediately said she couldn't wait to be Mama Kay. I replied, absolutely not! My child won't call anyone mama except me! Then months later she tried to force the issue of my quiet FIL (who I love dearly) being called "Big Daddy". That's super creepy to me and not at all fitting for him. I again explained to her that NO ONE would be called anything like mama or daddy except me & DH. Now she's going by KayKay & he's Gpaw. I've given up on that one. She thinks they're too young and trendy to be "grandma and grandpa"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"