November 2013 Moms

How Do You Adapt?

Well, de-lurking for the first time to post a thing, so here we go.

I'm pregnant at about 11 weeks now, with baby #2. Our daughter is currently 13 months and we are nervous for a second child but definitely happy.

My question is: how do you handle the stress? What things work that you've tried to cope with frustration and feeling ridiculously exhausted all the time?

I'm generally a really patient and relaxed parent, but I'm sitting here feeling like a big failure because DD's yelling at me from her crib and refusing to nap - yet again, and I'm out here trying not to blow a gasket because this is getting ridiculous. She has been so stubborn this week, between teething and just being too alert to go down for a nap. I dunno if it's gonna last or if she'll go back to her regular daily nap, but yesterday I spent almost 4 hours off and on trying to get her down so I could do something and she never went. I do not believe in cry it out but I have tried everything I can and it gets too frustrating for me these days.

I'm just feeling overwhelmed with the disaster we call our apartment and I feel unable to get anywhere with the cleaning and managing of anything. Add in some pretty fierce nursing aversion (and impatience this week), and I am starting to feel so stressed and annoyed. Hormones don't help either! I wish I had three me's so I could maybe live in a clean house and not feel so bogged down by everything. Baby's not even here til July and I already feel I'm buried in all the tasks. I don't know if I should be trying to put DD down differently because she still nurses to sleep, or if that's the problem, or if I'm just stressing out about everything WAY too much. Sigh.

Re: How Do You Adapt?

• Loading the player...
  • Great advice above, I also am pregnant with #2. It was difficult but I let a lot go in the first months of this pregnancy in regards to cleaning and cooking and focused on what had to be done to preserve my energy. Your energy will return!

In regards to nursing, at about that point in my pregnancy my milk started to drop off, my LO noticed before I did and became very unhappy with the amount of milk she was getting. We weaned gradually at that point. It was a natural process for me and it worked for her and I, neither of us was happy with our nursing relationship anymore. I know other ladies here have had similar experiences with their pregnancies too and their milk supply.

Wishing you the best of luck and I hope you come out of lurking more often, we don't bite! Promise!
  • EaldwicEaldwic member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, guys. I felt pretty beat down when I posted this. Still doesn't resolve the ongoing issues but the short-term ones feel less huge. Haha.

As for the nursing aversion, I'm actually the one getting it. DD is nursing happily away almost 5 times per day and 1-2 per night, still. It's me that's encountering the sore nipples/tender breasts and the toe-curling irritation and crawly feeling I read about awhile back. I get this creeping feeling, especially when I'm fighting her on her nap time, and it's all I can do not to just quit nursing, ungh. I know it's common with a lot of moms, especially when they're also preggo, but still. Definitely hard to handle sometimes!

I've never heard of a glow worm. I'll look into it and see if it exists here! (We live in Canada, so I don't think I've ever seen/heard of it but it sounds worth the look up)

Well, CIO to me is leaving them for a lengthy time and not going in to console or check in on them... I suppose I mean unsupported crying, then. I leave her for 10 minutes and she just gets worse. I can hear her wailing away and she never calms down and goes to sleep. The only time I've done a real CIO was when she was about 7 months and teething like MAD one night, and I could not do anything more and was growing so exhausted trying to get her to bed. I left her for 45 minutes of hard crying and she cried herself out. I felt awful. I haven't done it since, but I will go 20 or 30 minutes sometimes when I just don't know what else to try. Yesterday was better, but today is the same. She just won't stay asleep. I had her down and then ten minutes later she abruptly woke up and didn't go back down. I nurse her to sleep but she'll just sit up and squirm and try to leave the room when she's like this. It's so tiringgg.

But yeah, she just has the one nap per day, usually 2-3 hours tops, and she sleeps decently at night. She'll wake up for a feed around 4 AM and then back out til almost 9 AM sometimes. It's just this day thing that's not working anymore, lol. I wish I could stay up all night and get things done but I'd probably die. :b

Well, my fiance gives me help when he's home. I don't get a break, but I get the support... It's really complicated though and would be a longwinded thing to get into but yeah, having a partner that can take over is always a nice treat.
  • Yeah, I've been wanting to invest in a toddler Hawk. They're amazing. My two carriers are too flimsy for her now, lol. I have a stretchy wrap and a ring sling, and even though the ring sling is good up to 50 lbs, it does a number on my back and neck! So painful. I'm hoping to get a good one soon.

She's pretty good with helping me, I will say that. I think I'm just really feeling the pressure to be supermom because of the pregnancy and my endless issues with living in a cluttered house.
  • Oh yes, I've tried everything. I have two shifted vertibrae in my neck from a fall as a child and chronic knots, so not much solves that area's issues, lol. It's just not a good match for my messed up shoulders!

Yeah, de cluttering would be beautiful. We have so much stuff it eats this tiny apartment and then some.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"