January 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding woes?

It thought it might be helpful to have a breastfeeding thread to bounce ideas off each other and support one another. It has been much more difficult than I thought and I have heard the same from a lot of new moms.

Feel free to post tips, questions, and situations. Hopefully this can be flame free!

Re: Breastfeeding woes?

• My LO was recently readmitted to the NICU for jaundice and severe dehydration. They had to give her IV fluid, formula and had me pumping along with breastfeeding as my milk hadn't come in. My LO is now 7 days old and my supply came in yesterday and I am tempted to stop pumping.

My routine has been to wake up and pump about a half hour prior to breastfeeding (recommended by hospital nurses/LC). This means that I am awake to pump and feed for at least and hour and a half and LO feeds every 2.5ish hours. Rough... So, I guess I am looking for feedback on stopping the pumping now that my supply is up. Thoughts? We are still supplimenting one nighttime feed with formula as per LC. TIA!
  • I'm sorry, I know that has to be rough. I wish I had advice but I'm just as lost!
  • Loading the player...
  • I breast fed my son until he was 14 months, but I pumped exclusively for the first 2 weeks because of latch issues. My daughter is latching well this time around, but it is a totally different experience since it is all on me this time. Pumping was not fun, but it was nice that DH could take a 3 hour shift while I slept. I keep debating about pumping some, but I'm nervous about oversupply and don't want DD to prefer bottle over the breast. So most likely I will just stick with it.

Also maybe this was dumb of me, but I didn't realize my nipples would be so tender again after having BF for so long previously. I know it is just a phase that will soon be behind us though.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Haha! I find myself googling random things at least three times a night. Babies are hard! Good luck @BookitBoo‌!
  • Over supply isn't even something I had considered @BackseatDriver‌. Are you going to be going back to work? I am also curious when to working on a supply for that, but I guess there's plenty of time...
  • DD is a pretty laid back baby. we had to take her to the LC for a weight check today (we were discharged yesterdsay and she's lost 11% body weight as of today). We're supplementing 15-20 ml after she eats and I have to pump 15 minutes after I finish feeding her, and we're supposed to feed her every 3 hours. It's very time consuming but I think she's getting the hang of latching down pat.

My issue is that I feel dizzy and drained 90% of the time, and I'm not sure if t has anything to do with breastfeeding or the fact that I had a RCS 3 days ago. I'm not sure what to do other than call the OB on Monday?
  • @soon2bejp how much volume had you been pumping? If you weren't getting much I don't know if there is harm in just stopping and letting your LO nurse.

Are you going to be building a supply of milk to bottle feed? If so you might want to continue pumping some.

What advice did the LC give? Can you supplement with pumped milk now instead of formula?

Dec '12 & Jan '15
  • @amy good point about the he formula/pump supplement. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the advice, it is conservative and makes me less nervous than just cutting pumping all together.
  • @bookitboo Make sure you are drinking a ton. BFing can really dehydrate you along with just healing in general!

@BackseatDriver‌ I am going only pumping about 45 ml, but I know the baby is able to suck more than the pump can.
  • My only issue right now is that my right breast keeps getting blocked. I just hop in the shower or hot compress it and that gets things flowing. Is there anything I can do to prevent the blockage?

• My pediatrician recommended I keep a huge bottle or glass of ice water next to me while pumping and nursing so I wouldn't forget to keep hydrated....breastfeeding is hard work and usually as a mom the last person you take care of is yourself. Hope that's helpful to everyone :-)
  • @AmyG*‌

Please stay! Thank you for your advice!

I fall behind on the pain meds occasionally (usually the middle of the night) but my body reminds me I need them, but u usually don't eat with them.
  • My only issue right now is that my right breast keeps getting blocked. I just hop in the shower or hot compress it and that gets things flowing. Is there anything I can do to prevent the blockage?

Can you massage it while nursing?

Dec '12 & Jan '15
  • Loving this thread and the advice! @BookitBoo my situation is very similar to yours. Im day 3 post RCS and baby boy lost 11% of his body weight (started at 9lbs). We just came home today and they don't have me supplementing yet since my milk came in yesterday they're trying to give that a chance. I'm trying to nurse often but it's SO hard to keep him awake. I do all the tricks that worked with DD (strip him naked, tickle feet, wipe down with diaper wipe, etc) but sometimes he just can't be bothered.

When he does want to eat he has a really strong latch and sometimes latches too shallow so my nipples are killing me. I was given a nipple shield to use with DD but really don't want to be dependent on that again and haven't used it yet. My other issue is I'm still feeling full after he eats at times and am concerned about that. My goal now is to just get through tonight and tomorrow. We go for a ped check on Monday (and I get my staples out which will help with my comfort) and I may go meet with the LC at the hospital if I'm still not feeling good about his latch.

I'm thankful for the support and insight here. Hopefully we can all get through this together ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @amyg* You are like a BFing angel! Thank you for your responses, they have been so helpful!
  • @AmyG*‌
    Concerning milk blisters -- can you breast feed/pump while you have one? Or should you wait until it goes away to use the milk/feed from that side?
  • @AmyG*‌

I'm not sure? It looks like two clear blisters on the tip of my nip.

• A nurse today introduced me to a breast shield, which has already been a lifesaver!  I was producing milk, but my little guy just wasn't latching very well.  After using the breast shield, he is eating like a champ!  I was a little bit nervous about using anything that was not straight breast, but I was told that once my milk comes in and my little guy gets used to feeding, I shouldn't have to use it anymore.  My milk began to come in tonight, so we will see... but so far the shield has prevented me from having a break down while trying to feed.
  • My milk came in but DD was having trouble with the flow. She was gulping it down and getting really gassy/throwing it up. So feeding ended up being 3-4 minutes, stop for 10, and she would constantly want more. I just tried pumping before her feeding session to take the edge off and it went much better. Hope this won't cause an oversupply issue later but at least I'll get a head start on my freezer stash!

She also has a shallow latch, she's just so tiny and her mouth is so small. I just have to watch carefully her positioning when she latches on or it hurts like hell. Hopefully she grows out of it soon.

Pro tip: stick your pinky in their mouth to break a latch seal
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a first timer and due tomorrow (looks like she'll be late though). I've been reading this and other BF discussions lately, because I plan to BF but I'm nervous about it and really feel like I have no idea what to expect. Even though I've done the research and classes, it still seems mystifying somehow! Anyhow, it seems more and more to me like most of the new moms pose similar questions or problems (e.g., about latching, having to supplement, etc.), and hardly anyone reports smooth sailing, or close to it. Are those issues just to be expected at first, or is it also common for some FTMs to NOT have setbacks? As of now I'm just bracing myself for weeks of agony and self doubt lol (plan for the worst, hope for the best, right?). Is that a reasonable expectation?? (And how did moms do this before the Internet and LCs??!)
  • akenned4 said:

I'm a first timer and due tomorrow (looks like she'll be late though). I've been reading this and other BF discussions lately, because I plan to BF but I'm nervous about it and really feel like I have no idea what to expect. Even though I've done the research and classes, it still seems mystifying somehow!

Anyhow, it seems more and more to me like most of the new moms pose similar questions or problems (e.g., about latching, having to supplement, etc.), and hardly anyone reports smooth sailing, or close to it. Are those issues just to be expected at first, or is it also common for some FTMs to NOT have setbacks? As of now I'm just bracing myself for weeks of agony and self doubt lol (plan for the worst, hope for the best, right?). Is that a reasonable expectation?? (And how did moms do this before the Internet and LCs??!)

From what I've read any my experience, day 1 and 2 are easiest then 3/4/5 can be extremely difficult due to milk production. Once your milk is in it becomes easier, you just have to get through those though days!
  • I am so, so glad this thread was started!!

I went to see the lactation consultant on Thursday for my extremely cracked nipples (what she referred to as the Grand Canyon of cracks). She helped me find different positions to use, putting pressure on different areas of the nipple while the cracks heal. She also prescribed Jack Newman's nipple ointment, which is a compounded ointment (anti fungal to prevent thrush, anti inflammatory and a pain reliever). Within 2 days of using I have noticed a huge difference in pain when I nurse. She did say that it will take a few weeks for the actual crack to heal because of the size but the pain when nursing is no longer "toe curling!"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @akenned4‌ it's a totally different experience for each mom. I think you're just less likely to see someone posting in here that was not having problems.

But FTM smooth sailing does happen. My LO came out and latched for 30 minutes with basically no assistance and had already gained 5oz at her two day check-up.

Just keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask for help. :smile:
  • CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited January 2015
    MLC1990 said:

@akenned4‌ it's a totally different experience for each mom. I think you're just less likely to see someone posting in here that was not having problems.

But FTM smooth sailing does happen. My LO came out and latched for 30 minutes with basically no assistance and had already gained 5oz at her two day check-up.

Just keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask for help. :smile:

Its also going to be different for every baby. I had zero issues with DS1, not so much as a sore nipple. This time around things are going well with only a little bit of a sore nipple, and minor shallow latch. Things are already improving as the days go by.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @VioletGjoni‌ Have you tried baby wearing? You've got to stay hydrated!
  • @VioletGjoni‌ Someone posted a great idea earlier about keeping water by where you nurse. If you nurse on your couch can you maybe keep bottled water and some granola bars (or other snackies) on a side table within reach?

This is something I struggle with as well!
  • How are you ladies who have dealt with growth spurts already been with eating yourself? My son is 4 weeks and he had his 3 week growth spurt but MAN, he will NOT let me put him down since midnight last night, literally. My lips are bleeding because of the dehydration I think and I'm hungry. My husband isn't home to get me anything from the kitchen or anything. How can I eat?! Does it matter if I skip a meal or two? Will it affect my supply? I'm home from 3am-7pm daily so it's super hard for me now that my moms not here to help me anymore.

It's ok to put him down for a few minutes so you can toss something to eat in the microwave, even if he cries. You have to take care of yourself! Soon enough you'll master doing things one handed and/or while nursing, but it's hard when they're so floppy and when you're both still getting good at it.

I agree with stashing snacks and water bottles all over the house-- I used to keep granola bars in my nightstand. Certain carriers are ok for newborn baby wearing, but some require a newborn insert for babies under a certain weight. Check the manuals and above all, don't feel guilty for taking care of your own needs, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not excited about the first few weeks of bf-ing, but it sounds like you guys are all doing great. In case you need some encouragement, this video is an oldie, but a goodie: https://youtu.be/SZ3QO-7h4YA

I've never seen this before! I'm not sure I learned anything new except the fact that I have really tiny ta-tas!!

@VioletGjoni‌ It's definitely challenging with three but I think I was just as overwhelmed with one! With one it's all so brand new and you and baby are trying to figure it all out together. With three, I think I know what I'm doing but then I'm thrown a curveball!
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice on this topic, everyone!
  • So I pumped about 2 hours after the last time I BF. I only got 30 ml. My DD is 10 days old. I thought I'd be producing more?

I only pumped today because she seemed insatiable all last night. I recently stopped pumping between feeds and supplimenting (was doing this until my milk came on as per NICU staff). Thoughts?
  • >:D< @amyg* you have been an absolute life saver. Thank you for your responses and support!
  • I have a hard time burping my LO. I sit her on my leg and support under her chin with my hand then pat pretty vigorously. Any other techniques?
  • @VioletGjoni‌ that's crazy about the on call doctor. Sorry you had such a rough night! Does it seem like a witching hour type of thing? My daughter started that around 3 weeks and it lasted until just over 10 weeks. She had periods of 4-5 hours of inconsolable crying starting at roughly the same time every evening. Constant nursing would help, but it wouldn't stop it completely. The 5 S's as described in The Happiest Baby on the Block (if you haven't read it, just watch the video on Amazon Prime, the book is too long) were also helpful, as were going for walks and drives, but the only thing that truly solved it was time. It was definitely the most challenging period for us and I'm steeling myself for the possibility that DD2 will be colicky as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm completely confused.

LO was born at almost 11pm on Friday. I had a csection followed by a hemorrhage. For the most part LO and I were not together for almost an entire day. During that time, he was being given 20cc of formula every 3 hours in the NICU. He was brought back to me with the instructions to offer each breast for as long as he wants at each feeding and then supplement with 20cc of formula until my milk comes in.

The problem is, LO seems less and less interested in the breast when formula still seems to be more satisfying. I can get him to usually latch on one side for 15-20 minutes and the other for 5-10 before he loses interest.

My milk is still not in yet. The hospital LC brought me a pump. But I'm just so confused as to when to use it. I tried once at a feeding when he refused both breasts and got nothing more than a couple drops (clear liquid). But if he takes both at a feeding am I still supposed to pump?

I know it's only a matter of time before my milk comes in, but I feel like the whole process has already been "messed up" for us. I would really like for this to work and I just feel like I'm getting too much conflicting information (especially from the two hospital LCs.

Any thoughts, ideas, tips, etc would welcome!

dx:  Unexplained IF
     TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP
    C.J. born 01/09/15

• How do you know if your rock hard boob is a blocked duct or just day three engorgement?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"