C-sections

C-Sections closed by glue only

If you didn't have stitches or staples, could you tell me how your recovery went? I can't get either due to a condition I have, so the Dr will only be using glue. What was involved in taking care of the incision? I had a vaginal delivery with my first so I have no idea how to manage a c-section. I'm sure they'll give me instructions in the hospital, but if there are supplies that would be helpful, I'd like to make sure I already have them at home. The only after care we've discussed so far is that I will have an abdominal binder and my OB isn't releasing me for activities for 3 months because my condition impairs healing. Thank you!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C-Sections closed by glue only

• edited December 2014
    I have under skin stitching and glue on top. So nothing on the outside except for the glue (dermabond). Are you SURE they are planning not to use ANYTHING? What about your uterus inside?? They have to close the incisions SOMEHOW... Skin is just one of the layers. As far as care on the surface, nothing special is involved. You don't use soap on that area when showering, just let water run over top, and then pat it dry with a towel. Nothing else. When I was being discharged the doc told me I should start peeling off the glue in a week or so (which is now, I am exactly 2 weeks post surgery). It is definitely coming off but I am too chicken to rip it off. So far only peeled off small chunks on the ends and the incision underneath is completely healed and grown together solid. With my first I had staples, they covered that with a waterproof band-aid type pad. That healed fine too.
  • I too was wondering how they'll stitch up the uterus. Anywho, I did have the glue with my first. It wasn't really a big deal. The nurses did keep asking me where my stitches were, and I just thought it was weird they'd never seen the glue before. I remember it took a really long time to come off. I don't remember having to do anything special to the incision. With my second I had staples, which I actually preferred, but since that's not an option it's a null point.
  • Loading the player...
  • 2000cougar2000cougar member
    edited December 2014
    The only place that he's going to stitch up is where he's going to be separating the muscle. It's already separated slightly so he's going to put in a few just to bring it back together. I've had other surgeries and they've just used glue, but the incisions were only about 3". For those, I had the area braced for 2 weeks so I never had to take care of them. This time around, he's using something that doesn't dissolve as quickly as dermabond. I can't remember the name of the product at the moment. It will take a full 3 months for it to heal, though. It sounds like the glue is really easy to take care of and almost easier than stitches. Thank you for your help! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I also had the glue. Same instructions as PPs, but it took forever to come off! I think inwas still scraping it off at 6w pp
  • econmama said:

I had only glue on the outside and didn't have any special instructions other than to keep it dry. I was to pat dry after a shower and that's it.

The steri strips could be removed after two weeks.

This, and they healed up great!
  • ashaw512 ashaw512 member
    edited December 2014
    I had glue but it never came off? There was nothing to scratch or peel.

Eta: I didn't have steri strips either
  • I had dermabond with my second (staples with my first). Nothing to do. My doctor told me I could remove the steri-strips once they started to peel off on their own.

For your postpartum recovery, you will leave the hospital with a prescription for pain meds. You may want to also pick up some OTC ibuprofen and stool softeners. Some doctors write a prescription for a stronger ibuprofen, so even that may be unnecessary (mine just tells me to take otc). Stool softeners are a good idea as long as you are taking the prescription meds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2014
    I had dissolving internal stitches, dermabond outside. The Steri strips were removed after 24 hours at the hospital. No problems healing.
  • My OB used dissolving internal stitches and external glue for my section 2 years ago. I thought it was great! Once I got over the fear that my incision would pop open (they explained the strength of the glue to me which was helpful), I realized it made recovery pretty easy. No stitches or staples to remove. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had dissolving internal stitches, dermabond outside. The Steri strips were removed after 24 hours at the hospital. No problems healing.

this. It started to get red and itchy around day 2 (in the hospital) so they prescribed some hydrocortizone cream and that helped. i did have one spot that didn't seem to want to "heal" it was just a spot, but I woul dlay on my bed and let it air out and that helped a lot.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• nbateman5nbateman5 member
    edited December 2014
    You will not want to wear regular underwear because they will hurt your incision site and you'll be bleeding for a while so I picked up some of the always depends style underwear and they've been amazing for my csection recovery! I'm on my second pack, 18 days PP.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • No stitches or staples i had glue for both of my c sections i have 2kids a 2yr old and a 7mnth old the glue was alot better. it began to peel off a few wks after giving birth and my cut healed up just fine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had dermabond which seals the the skin layer nicely and of course had dissolving stitches just under skin.

When it comes to no stitches, there are many different types of suture. The uterus has to be stitched or you would hemorrhage so that's always stitched. Then they also typically close the fascia and the muscle. If the fascia isn't closed properly that's when a hernia would form. I'm obviously not sure of your condition, but I imagine there will be some aspect of deep tissue suturing. Lucky with no staples though! Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"