Cloth Diapering
Options

cloth on registry

Hi,

Did anyone put cloth diapers on their registry? Did people buy them for you at your shower?

Would we be better off asking for gift certificates to GMD and amazon?
image image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: cloth on registry

• Options
    I had a few diapers, CD safe cream, and wet bags on my registry and people did buy them! 

It was also nice because whatever people didn't buy, I used my completion discount to get. I had some on Amazon and diapers.com. My shower hosts put a note the shower invites that we were planning to CD, so no one bought us sposies.

I did buy the majority of my stash on my own though. I didn't ask for gift certificates because I kind of think that is tacky. 
  • Options
    You can register for cloth, but know it's unlikely that you will receive any. Most likely people will say no way she will stick with it or something else negative then but a box of sposies. You know because "she will NEED them". I would plan to buy your own stash. Return sposies to buy cloth and register at places that at least sell cloth online like target.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People didn't buy them off of my registry. I think the idea was too foreign to my family/family friends so they chose other things. I had an Amazon registry but maybe registering with GMD specifically would help? I'd suggest writing something basic about your CD plans if the registry has space for it. Not everyone gets as excited about cotton as we do but would hopefully jump on board if they knew you'd be thrilled to get them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes. I got 2 multi-packs of Bum Genius 4.0 diapers from my registry (the only diapers I had listed there).
  • Options
    No one bought the cloth off my registry. Actually, one person bought one BG Freetime lol.
    It doesn't hurt to put it on there though, because once people realize you are sticking with it, your registry will always be there and they will know what kind of diapers you use.
    And you can always return them.

But for us, gift cards were more useful for buying our stash.

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
    **Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
    "Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks.... we do plan to have a special note about CD in our invite. Also noting no disposables. . As I am allergic.
  • Options
    I got a few Best Bottom covers that I registered for, but the bulk of my diapers I purchased from other moms via Craigslist. Although both families know I wanted to stick with cloth, my husband's grandmother gave him a big pack of disposables for Christmas. (Baby was born December 1.) He wasn't particularly happy, even though he refuses to use anything but disposables anyway. 
  • Options
    I registered for CD. I got 0 CD, and made fun of for it at my showers. Whatevs. My Little Grr rocks the cloth.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I got a few things and now I will use our completion discount on Amazon to get other stuff on my list. It definitely can't hurt to register.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had quite a few friends buy us diapers and diaper stuff from our registry and even one special non registry diaper. I was going to flaunt it today, but I forgot..maybe later. 

Anywho, I think you know your friends and family and know if they will buy you stuff or not? Most of the friends who got us stuff I guessed would. We did get one pack of disposables, I think they are still in our closet... Oh and those lovely plastic pants, pins and super old prefolds/burp cloths that I mentioned in another thread yesterday. 

• Options
    No one bought us any cloth diaper stuff from our registry and both my mom and sister bought me disposables. I kept one pack of newborn on hand (which I'm glad I did because we needed them for unforeseen reasons). It doesn't hurt to have them on your registry, but people don't see it as a "fun" gift so they tend to skip them. Unless they are awesome cloth diaper people and understand nothing is more fun than cloth diapers.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    I put some cloth diapers on my registry more so people would know NOT to get me disposables than that I actually thought anyone would get me any cloth (and no one did, but I only got 2 packs of disposables given to me).  Amazon is nice in that you can do the universal registry and list items from other websites (so you can list individual diapers from online cloth diaper retailers that you really want).  More of the big stores are starting to carry cloth (online, but if you put them on your registry people can order from instore)...Babies R US online carries some of the popular brands like BG/Flips, Thirsties and KangaCare(Rumparooz & Lil Joeys), and even Osocosy prefolds.  Target carries also carries Thirsties & Bumgenius/Flip and Kohls recently starting carrying KangaCare online.  Even if you don't get any given to you you can use your registry completion discount and any giftcards (or credits for returns).

• Options
    I put cloth on my registry. My shower is tomorrow and I know no cds have been bought off my registry, but the host also forgot to put my registry on the invite. So we shall see.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Geez what a bummer to read everyone's responses. I was really hoping to build up our CD stash at our shower!

• Options
    I had a few cloth diapers and covers on my registry and got a couple at two of my three baby showers. The guests were FASCINATED by the diapers and covers. DH's step-grandmother marveled at how much cloth diapers had changed since she'd had her kids in the 1940s and '50s. At my other shower, one cousin (who'd cloth diapered her son) talked about her experiences with it and I showed everyone the Flip diaper and the GroVia cover plus the flat diapers my mom had made for us. The only negative reaction I got at either shower was from my MIL, who was very skeptical of how it would all work and wanted to know if she could use disposables.

The only disposables I got were at my work shower, only b/c no one knew I was going to use cloth. Those disposables came in really handy in the first two months.
  • Options
    We bought all our diapers ahead of time but we will be registering for extra inserts. All our diapers are gender-neutral and now that we are having a girl I thought about putting some pink or purple ones on there but will probably just get them myself.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't expect to get any CD at my baby shower, which is why I started slowly buying some really early (or so that's what I tell the husband). No one in my family but me really shops online - my sister even uses my Amazon account so she doesn't have to have her own. I do plan on putting a few on my BRU registry just so people see we're planning to use them and to deter from sposies.

However, I've talked to one of my work friends about CD a lot and shown her cute pictures (and she has found cute wool covers to show me since) so maybe if I have a work shower she will enjoy picking something out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Great feedback.... thank you.

My shower isn't until April so if we slowly buy something will just take it off registry.

Hoping that family and friends knowing my allergies they will go for the cloth we have up ... or at least not get me disposables. Even if I wanted to use them I couldn't use them.

Nice to know BRU is doing rumparooz.... that is the cover we picked. Will look at prefolds they sell.
  • Options
    We registered on Amazon where you can link items from other websites. We registered for a couple items this way. One friend bought me 3 thirsties covers but that's it, which is fine bc I bought the majority of our stash on Black Friday. But I think it let people know that we were planning on using cloth and received less disposables bc of it, which was nice.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Options

We registered on Amazon where you can link items from other websites.

o

I did the same, there were a bunch of etsy items that no one bought at the bottom of the Amazon items but they could see I wanted cloth wipes, extra inserts, and the like.

• Options
    I put cloth on my registry and a note saying. "We are going to use cloth diapers. No disposables needed. Thank you for thinking of us and our son." Or something like that.

My mom was the only one who got any. Most of my family and my DH's family has been very negative about us wanting to cloth diaper. My mom made a basket of diapers and accessories to show her support of our decision. She also had a Price is Right game at the shower and one of the items was a pocket diaper. People were able to look at it and see how different it is than what they were picturing. I think it helped get some of our family to think more positively about it!

In the bad note, still had to buy most of my stash myself!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Update - my shower was today and I got 6 osocozy prefolds, but that's it. I'm sure they assume that ill use them as burp rags. However, I only got one package of newborn swaddlers, and one package of size one sposies. I did get a bunch of baby wash, which I'll probably use, but never buy again.

My aunt did buy all of our grovias though (12 NB aios, 12 hybrids with 28 inserts), a wet bag, and a diaper sprayer. She is like a mother to me though (no children of her own). She just didn't give them as a shower gift.

I'd add them to your registry if only for the completion discount!
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"