November 2014 Moms
Options

Snack feeders?/nurse to sleep

hey all! My baby's now 9 weeks old. First month she was great about eating every 3 hours during the daytime, but lately she's been snacking-- shell have a big meal about 20 minutes, then an awake time but always needs an extra little snack to go to sleep. I make sure I pull her off before completely asleep though to not get used to my nipple. Anyone experience this and have any tips?

Night time she'll cluster feed every hour till she sleeps a long stretch (also wish she would eat in one go). Overnight she'll eat large meals and go to sleep immediately, thank goodness!

Do your babies need these cap offs or what'd you do to ease out of this?

Re: Snack feeders?/nurse to sleep

• Options
    I'm sure some will hate my response as I don't feed on demand. However - snack feedings lead to more snack feedings, it's just common sense, if they aren't getting a full feeding each time they are going to be hungry sooner. So by encouraging or allowing cluster feeds you are setting yourself up for more cluster feeds down the road. Our LO eats every 2.5-3 hours or 4 if she takes a long nap, and that encourages her to take a full feeding each time. She was sleeping 7-8 hours through the night at 4 weeks old. So take it how you will. This is how my pediatrician advised us to feed and it's worked great for us.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son (11 wks) is doing the same...cluster feeds from about 9-11 or 12....it's exhausting since that's the time I'd like to be going to bed myself....he will go about 3-4 hours typically after that, maybe 2 on a really bad night....
    ~Jen
    Married since 8.17.03
    Mom to Richard 7.24.05, Ava 3.27.08, Isabella 5.19.09 & Timothy 10.22.14

• Options
    fyreandbloodfyreandblood member
    edited February 2015
    About BFing on a schedule: i EFF and schedules were made for formula fed babies because with bottles, it's possible to overfeed. Some pediatricians rec schedules with BF babies and that's just wrong! You cant even calculate how much baby is getting at certain points! Feed them as they wish; it's impossible to overfeed unless you have a huge letdown! I wish nursing had worked out for me so i could be that for my daughter. The bond is beautiful.

With my baby, food is still part of bed. I dont feed her to sleep because no matter what she's eaten (i EPed for the first 6-7 weeks), she spits up horribly and i want to watch her, so it's bottle (that takes 30 mins), lights off/projector on, book, lullaby/prayer time (we're jewish, so we say night blessings) and then swaddling and down. That gives me enough time to watch her. Routine really works for us but routine depends on the baby and parents: some routines are time based like ours, others are loose, etc. Find your own routine and it will help baby differentiate between times of day, etc and comfort them/give them something familiar every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"