Birth Plans!!

2»

Re: Birth Plans!!

• In order of priority, the goals are: 
    1)safe 
    2)vaginal 
    3)intact perineum 
    4)med-free  
    Oh, I like this. Maybe I will steal this and use it =)

Most things I want are standard practice either at the hospital I'm delivering at or with my MW group, so I don't feel the need to put them in writing. I will probably discuss some other things with my H and doula- please don't offer meds, please wait a while for the hep b/eye goop, some other little things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i've got a good list going in my head but still need to get it all down in writing. i agree with PPs that my midwives are really on the same page as i am regarding the natural birth and my DH has been pretty involved to this point so we share alot of the same goals regarding the BP.

I had not looked into the post delivery stuff like the eye goop, vitamin K shot, and hep shot...wonder what the deal is with that stuff...aparently i need more research. if any of you ladies have good resources on some good info to direct me to that would be great

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• drudolph11drudolph11 member
    edited January 2015
    @ruemorgan‌ to bold on mobile you just do this: < b > text that you want bolded < / b > but without the spaces (if i didn't put the spaces it would have bolded my words lol).
    Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
    photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
    For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms
  • I find it hard to believe that some women truly don't have ANY wishes at all for their labor and delivery and the time after.  Do you want skin to skin?  Do you plan to breastfeed?  Do you want the nurses to keep your nosy MIL out?  Do you have any religious desires/preferences?  Do you care about pacifier use with your newborn?  

All of these things are part of a birth plan.  It seems like you could just state your desires during labor, but sometimes that's not possible.  For instance, one big thing that was extremely important to me was that in the case of life and death I requested for them to contact my priest and my desires were for my child to be Baptized immediately if there was even the remote chance he wouldn't survive.  I also wanted Last Rights.  This was a big deal to me, but there's no way I could tell anyone this if I wasn't conscious.  Obviously this is extreme, but probably the most important thing I put in my birth plan.  I also put that in the extreme case that my MIL randomly showed up she was not to be allowed in.  I'd call that the second most important thing I put in there!  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• i've got a good list going in my head but still need to get it all down in writing. i agree with PPs that my midwives are really on the same page as i am regarding the natural birth and my DH has been pretty involved to this point so we share alot of the same goals regarding the BP.

I had not looked into the post delivery stuff like the eye goop, vitamin K shot, and hep shot...wonder what the deal is with that stuff...aparently i need more research. if any of you ladies have good resources on some good info to direct me to that would be great

Definitely do your research!  There are pros and cons to all three and it's good to have an opinion going in if you decide to pass on something.  We had to delay vaccines for medical reasons so the Hep B was a big no-no.  We decided to pass on the eye goop and get the Vitamin K shot after doing a lot of research.  Like most things a lot of it is personal preference.  

(But to add, your child should get the Hep B shot at some point!  Just whether or not they get it at birth is a personal preference.  I think it's given at 2 months if you pass on it at birth.)

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• My Ob had some interesting input on birth plans today. I have a few clear preferences, but a pretty open mind and a willingness to get advice from my care team as things progress. She recommended thinking about if we want our care team to guide or support us - who should be in the lead. I think I'm leaning towards seeking guidance, but it's an interesting perspective to think about.
  • Honestly maybe I lived under a rock when I was pregnant for the first time 5 years ago but I'd had never heard of a birth plan. I went into my induction with a go with the flow attitude and has a pretty good birth experience.

I learned from my first birth what I want and don't want from this birth. I'm pretty much going to have the go with the flow attitude again with a few thing's I really want this time. I want skin to skin contact asap, I wasn't even given the option when I had my son. I want my fiancé to cut the cord. I want to start breastfeeding asap, and I don't want my baby girl to have any bottles, formula, sugar water or pacis whatsoever unless I give consent. The hospital gave my son all of these things without asking my permission first ans in addition to him being tongue tied I think it really messed with our breastfeeding too. I told my fiancé all these things too and he knows that if I can't speak for myself he better make sure it's all known.
  • ClobertClobert member
    edited January 2015
    These are my preferences for birth, barring any medical concerns or emergencies that make these impossible:
    Please, no residents or students attending my birth
    I prefer the birthing suite with the bathtub.
    vaginal exams - I would like vaginal exams to be limited and to ask my permission before sweeping or breaking membranes.  
    induction - I would like to go into labor naturally.  I would like to wait 12 hours before inducing.   
    I would like to be able to move around freely during labor.intermittent monitoringno IV or a heparin lock if absolutely necessary
    I do not want to be offered pain medication or epidural.
    I would like access to the squatting bar, birthing stool/chair and bathtub.   
    I would like the option of birthing in various positions (not on my back - I have previous SI joint pain and cannot lie inclined on my back).  
    I would like to give birth without an episiotomy
    Please delay clamping of umbilical cord until it has stopped pulsating.  
    After birth:I would like baby to room in with me and have all procedures done in the room.  
    If baby has any problems I would like my husband to be with the baby at possible times.  
    Immediate birth procedures performed with babe on mom’s chest
    Delay of birth procedures until bonding and breastfeeding have occurred
    Please wait to administer Vitamin K and erythromycin (eye ointment) until after breastfeeding and bonding.  Please wait to give Hep B vaccine until the next day.
    I plan to breastfeed exclusively, please do not give my baby a bottle or pacifier.  
    I would like to see the lactation consultant at the earliest convenience.  

In case of Emergency C- Section:Please have my partner in the room with me at all times.  
    I would like a low  transverse incision on my abdomen and uterus.  
    I prefer to be awake for the birth.
    If my baby is healthy I would like to have skin to skin and nurse it immediately on recovery.
    If I am incapacitated and baby is healthy,  I would like my baby to be held by my husband while procedures are performed.  
    If my baby has problems I would like my partner to accompany my baby when possible.  
    Please discuss post-op pain relief options with me.  
    This is a rough draft of what I will take to the hospital.  Many of these things are choices that are technically available but not standard, such as birthing suite, intermittent monitoring, no iv, etc.  I think phrasing it as birth preferences rather than plan and leaving out things that they don't need to know like what kind of music I like will help me have a smoother birth.  The less I have to answer questions and constantly ask for things during labor the better.  I also think knowing your priorities ahead of time will help when someone is trying to explain some procedure during a contraction.   I have educated myself a lot about various contingencies and I have a good sense of what situations I'm willing to change some of these priorities and when procedures and interventions will be inevitable and when I still have a choice.  
  • Mine is go with the flow. I think birth plans are retarded. Birth usually doesn't go exactly as planned and I get annoyed at those women who think their plan is really going to go as they wish and get all bent out of shape when it doesn't. If it's safer for me to have a c section due to whatever issue arises, then you better believe I'm not going to argue and say, "boo hoo that's not in my birth plan." Or whatever the case may be. I have a few things that I'd like to tell my doctor, but they are little things. Sure I have my perfect scenario in mind, but if that doesn't work out, which chances are it won't, I'm going with the flow. Just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"