September 2014 Moms
Options

FFFC?

Re: FFFC?

• Options
    Mine is that I read Sleep Sense at a friend's recommendation and tried it yesterday.  Basically, you don't let LO fall asleep in your arms/rocking/nursing, they have to go down drowsy but awake.  I tried leaving him for 10 minutes and the first few times he just screamed for naps but at bedtime he only cried for 5 min and then fell asleep and went back to sleep after a little crying at 11, fed him at 3, and he slept until 6:45!  He had been waking up at 5 ready for the day for the last 2 weeks!  I feel bad that the system has some crying, but it is really working and you can go pick them up and soothe them at any time although we tried to wait 10 minutes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tomorrow is Dh's work's holiday party and since there will be drinking involved, I plan on POAS.

FFFC- I am not sure what I'm hoping it will say.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm also so confused about starting solids. I'm clueless. I know his pedi will tell me what to do. But it's intimidating for some reason. I just don't know what to do and when

TTC since 2.11
    BFP #1: 3.15.11- c/p
    MTHFR Dx 6.13-Rx- folate and B12
    BFP #2: 11.9.13 -m/c Trisomy 4
    BFP #3 1.18.14 EDD 9.27.2014

• Options
    Ohh! I have TWO today.

1) Building off of a thread from earlier today.  I had no idea that you could put a car-seat in a car with out a base.  On a few occasions, I've declined carpooling because of this.  WTF?

2) I got a little nauseated nursing LO yesterday. I had ready somewhere that nursing while pregnant can cause nausea.  I've also been starving and exhausted lately (and lately probably realistically means "ever-since-third-tri!").  Anyway, I took a HPT. Thank GOD it was negative. But my confession is that for a split second I was really disappointed. WHAT? There's no way in hell I could have another baby anytime soon. Why was I disappointed? I am crazypants.
    ahhh you ARE crazypants. i actually had a mini heart attack reading that, wondering if you would reveal that you were indeed pregnant. don't do that to me, yo.

<3 you LB
    :P

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @anewadventure - I have told my husband that I'm not ready to even consider discussing more bebes for a long long time. Like, long long time.  Our little peanut gave me a run for my money those first two months.  I can't imagine caring for a newborn and Lucy.  I have TONS of respects for moms and dads of multiples, and 2U2s!!!!

Also, you and @bethybeach will probably know if/when I'm knocked up before the pee dries.
    amen. to be fair, we come at this from opposite directions - i had a terrible time with my pregnancy but a newborn that was on the easier end of the spectrum. fingers crossed that he doesn't hear me say that and spitefully turn into a monster disguised as a baby.

he'd be a darn cute monster though.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    cpj7 said:
    I know I need to lose some of this baby weight but I'm having blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Well, there's some fruit at least..... Edit: sp
    This! I eat ice cream every night and I keep buying bags of chocolate. I don't know why I don't stop!!
  • Options
    1. I've had baby fever since DS was just a few weeks old. I want another one so badly. But we need a bigger house before we add a third.

2. Funny enough, ds just turned 3 months last weekend and we still have not had successful sex. We've tried, but it hurts so badly. I have so much scarring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pbeckaroo35pbeckaroo35 member
    edited January 2015
    I called CPS yesterday. I sold some of DDs old clothes bc I'm running out of storage and now need space for DSs old clothes, and the girl that bought them had her three week old baby in the backseat (thank God she was in a car seat) but not buckled in. I didn't realize until they drove off bc the car seat was turned sideways. At first I just wanted to cry, how can she neglect the safety of her newborn?! Then I decided it was best for me to report her rather them getting into an accident and the baby girl not make it.
    Hadn't you just met and had contact information for the girl? Could you have contacted her first in the event that it was a fluke before contacting CPS? 

I know in this day and age we assume that people are and should be properly educated on car seat safety, but what if she wasn't? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    amom2fouramom2four member
    edited January 2015

I called CPS yesterday. I sold some of DDs old clothes bc I'm running out of storage and now need space for DSs old clothes, and the girl that bought them had her three week old baby in the backseat (thank God she was in a car seat) but not buckled in. I didn't realize until they drove off bc the car seat was turned sideways. At first I just wanted to cry, how can she neglect the safety of her newborn?! Then I decided it was best for me to report her rather them getting into an accident and the baby girl not make it.

Hadn't you just met and had contact information for the girl? Could you have contacted her first in the event that it was a fluke before contacting CPS? 

I know in this day and age we assume that people are and should be properly educated on car seat safety, but what if she wasn't? 

~~~~~stupid quote box fail~~~~~~

No. @ashaw512 did the right thing going to the authorities be it CPS or the local police. People don't always respond well to strangers offering advice on their kids and it can turn ugly fast. Hopefully she will take the advice and education that will be provided and do better. Totally a sad situation though.
  • Options

No I couldn't have. And since her mother was driving, that I didn't mention in op, she was in the backseat with the baby, it was both of their faults. How would you feel if you had a stranger tell you what to do with your three week old? I know I did the right thing, I don't need you to tell me otherwise.

Now that I sit here and think about what you said wtf?! The hospital here checks to make sure you leave with the baby in the carseat and strapped in properly. And it common sense to strap in a car seat so you don't get in a wreck and have you or your baby hurt.
  • Options

No I couldn't have. And since her mother was driving, that I didn't mention in op, she was in the backseat with the baby, it was both of their faults. How would you feel if you had a stranger tell you what to do with your three week old? I know I did the right thing, I don't need you to tell me otherwise. Now that I sit here and think about what you said wtf?! The hospital here checks to make sure you leave with the baby in the carseat and strapped in properly. And it common sense to strap in a car seat so you don't get in a wreck and have you or your baby hurt.

I think you did the right thing but I did want to point out that our hospital did not check our car or carseat at all - we had the hardest time getting the straps to adjust and it was awful. A few weeks later we saw a newborn at the pediatrician in the same carrier we had and their straps were also wrong. I did let them know but we didn't sit and talk bc we got called back.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

No I couldn't have. And since her mother was driving, that I didn't mention in op, she was in the backseat with the baby, it was both of their faults. How would you feel if you had a stranger tell you what to do with your three week old? I know I did the right thing, I don't need you to tell me otherwise.

Now that I sit here and think about what you said wtf?! The hospital here checks to make sure you leave with the baby in the carseat and strapped in properly. And it common sense to strap in a car seat so you don't get in a wreck and have you or your baby hurt.

I think you did the right thing but I did want to point out that our hospital did not check our car or carseat at all - we had the hardest time getting the straps to adjust and it was awful. A few weeks later we saw a newborn at the pediatrician in the same carrier we had and their straps were also wrong. I did let them know but we didn't sit and talk bc we got called back.

Ours didn't check at all either. I was kind of upset. It's the one chance they have to help parents who can be overwhelmed and tired adequately protect their child. We put her in the car seat in the room. They could have easily checked. And nobody made sure the base was in properly. Such a shame.
  • Options
    Just like a couple other posters, our hospital didn't check our seat either. I wish they had. It wasn't until I got it checked by the fire department that I found out it wasn't tight enough. Not everyone has them checked by someone trained and even then I felt horrible that I hadn't done it before the baby was born.

So I think the assumption of blatant disregard could be wrong. Rules and standards with baby related items are changing constantly. 

I always try to think of how I would feel as a parent in these types of situations. Sure, I might get touchy and maybe outwardly upset if another parent pointed a safety issue to me. However, I'm positive as a parent I'd stop and think about it and try to find out if I am in fact doing something wrong. 

It's all about how you approach it. Just last week I was in target and there was a woman with a baby in her car seat attached to the top of the cart. I stopped and said "Hi, just wanted to tell you that even though you can attach the car seat up there they don't recommend it anymore because it can cause the cart to tip". She smirked at me, told me to "mind my own business". I walked away. I saw her from across the store a bit later and the baby seat had been moved to the main part of the cart.

I wish we lived in a world where if someone thinks I'm  putting my child in danger they are more apt to point it out to me before they report me to authorities.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My point exactly @wingardiumleviosa‌

Also @pbeckaroo35‌ I wasn't saying all hospital do it. But I know for a fact the on in my city and the 6 surrounding hospitals do. It's not the hospitals job to teach car seat saftey but they do want to make sure the car seats are strapped the proper way, to avoid a lawsuit. It's happened before and will continue to happen. And If someone ever questioned anything I did with MY child such as putting the car seat in top of a buggy, I'd say a lot more than mind your own business. It may have been a safety hazard for the child but I think you were out of line, not everyone may agree with that.
  • Options
    wingardiumleviosa Ok, so it's illegal. Where do we draw the line? I see many a child unbuckled, sitting in the front seat, etc. Those are all illegal, should people be calling CPS on all of those parents too? Is it different because it's a baby?

My point/problem with this is trying to understand where the decency to just talk to someone face to face or text or phone has gone? When did it become acceptable to just circumnavigate someone and go straight to authorities? 

I also agree it is not the hospital's responsibility to teach car seat safety. However, I venture to guess there are many people who have come to trust the check that they do to find any large error. Let me clarify also - they checked the baby in the carseat while we were packing up, but didn't come outside to see how the carseat was secured in the car.

@ambershaw512 It's a shame you would get so defensive of someone nicely pointing out something you may not know. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

wingardiumleviosa Ok, so it's illegal. Where do we draw the line? I see many a child unbuckled, sitting in the front seat, etc. Those are all illegal, should people be calling CPS on all of those parents too? Is it different because it's a baby?

My point/problem with this is trying to understand where the decency to just talk to someone face to face or text or phone has gone? When did it become acceptable to just circumnavigate someone and go straight to authorities? 

I also agree it is not the hospital's responsibility to teach car seat safety. However, I venture to guess there are many people who have come to trust the check that they do to find any large error. Let me clarify also - they checked the baby in the carseat while we were packing up, but didn't come outside to see how the carseat was secured in the car.

@ambershaw512 It's a shame you would get so defensive of someone nicely pointing out something you may not know. 
    Unfortunately, @pbeckaroo35‌, we live in a society where it is not unheard of for a person to pull a knife or gun out and injure or kill another person who may have been the kind hearted person trying to help educate a new parent. People are especially touchy over advice from strangers and especially when it is a life altering action that is being addressed such as the car seat being unbuckled.

In all reality, had I been approached about the car seat and shopping cart (I do know better) I would have been defensive about a stranger telling me that I am doing wrong.

I have not and will not approach someone with criticism on their parenting. I have and will only ever talk to parents having a difficult time and doing the right thing with their kids. My son is asd and you always feel like you are at the end of your rope, you need that reinforcement. And it usually goes much better than saying you're doing something wrong.

@ashaw512 you still did the right thing.
  • Options
    @pbeckaroo35‌ the only reason I would get defensive is because someone tells me what I should do with my child. Guess what, with my DD every time I went to the store I put the seat on top of the buggy instead of the bottom. Her seat also had a feature where it would lock on to the buggy. Did I know or think it was a safety hazard then, no I didn't and I would have been really upset for someone to tell me otherwise. I know now it's a safety hazard and why and I would never put my child on the top of the buggy like I use to.

The point is, she did something illegal and I called her in. Look at it this way, let's say I text her after her and her mother drive away and say, "hey, I noticed you had your baby with you and the car seat wasn't buckled in properly. I would hate for you to get into an accident." Then it can go two ways, she says thank you or something nice, or be a bitch and tell me off. Then the next time she gets in the car and blows off what I tell her, gets in an accident, and the baby was hurt. If you were the person who hit them you would be 1.) upset about the accident, 2.) upset the baby was hurt bc the mother didn't have the baby secured. I don't know about you but I'd be pissed at the mother for simply not having her child secured. Now if CPS were to handle it, I don't know if she was contacted or not, then it may stick in her head the next time she puts her baby in the car, or when she goes to pay the fat ass ticket she got for child endangerment. So with that being said, stop trying to flame me for doing the right thing when I may have possibly saved a child's life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"