July 2014 Moms
Options

How many ounces of BM per feeding?

So DS1 never took 8 ounces of BM in a feeding. the most he took at a time was 6 ounces, he just ate often. When he transitioned to formula at 10 months he started taking 7-8 ounces per feeding. I remember reading online that the caloric value of BM changes, as LO gets older, to coincide with his/her growing needs. I strictly nurse at home but send pumped milk to with DS2 to my mom's. She says he is taking 6-8 ounces now (at 6 months) and he's just growing. She also states that most babies will take more like 8-10 ounces as they get older. I tried explaining that BM can be different than formula. Either way I don't think he's necesarily overfed, he eats about 17 ounces during the day plus what ever I nurse in the evening and sleeps through the night. I was just wonder what other little ones may be taking in 1 sitting.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: How many ounces of BM per feeding?

• Options
    My DCP said that she is eating around 6-7 oz during a feeding session, but her eating habits vary.  She might eat that one day and then only eat 4 oz the next.  I certainly don't pump 6-7oz each pump session (more like 4-5 oz and sometimes only 3 oz).  I was always in total SHOCK when I saw that FF babies were putting down like 10oz of formula.  Whhhuuutt?  That seams like SO much for a tiny tummy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I send 6oz to daycare with LO or whenever I leave him and he seems fine with that.  I nurse in the morning and evening as well.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

yeah I know it has to be different when DS2 nurses, because I am the same way when I pump, about 4-6 ounces sometimes 3. I was off of work quite a bit over the holidays and nursed more. I totally noticed the difference when I came back to work and was pumping again. I got more ounces then usual but it is all balancing out now.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    @mcvgal‌ how is your mother determining your LO needs the 6-8 ounces? Does she prepare the bottles or do you? If she's (over)filling them, you may want to just send the bottles with the amount you want your LO to eat and direct your mother to information on paced feedings.
    I send bags with 3-4 ounces each. She serves 4 ounces and then goes off of his cues for more. She did clarify that she will give him more in 2 ounce increments.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    I just started pumping today and have only pumped 3 oz each session and that's what we are giving dd. I'm nervous it won't be enough but we will see. So far so good.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This must really vary a lot because my son has never taken more than 4 ounces in a single bottle.
    Same with my DD! She gets four 4 oz bottles at the sitter and that's exactly what I've pumped for a while now so I know my body is meeting her needs. I nurse her in the morning and evening/night and on the weekends. And I'm just fine with it because she just had her 6 month check up and she's growing and developing beautifully. Every baby is different!

• Options
    DD usually takes about 10-15 oz. while I'm at work.  I nurse her in the morning, when I pick her up and before bed. She's still waking for one night time feed, too.  I usually send about 12-15 oz. to daycare (I pump about 6 oz. max per session, usually 3-5oz.).  My DCP has three bags of frozen for back-up, but DD doesn't usually get too angry when she runs out of fresh early.

I've noticed that my BM has a lot more fat on the top of it now than it did when she was little.

• Options
    I believe I read on kellymom that a good estimate for a 6 month baby is 25-30 oz of breastmilk a day divided by how many feedings will give you a starting point of how much to leave for bottle.

We do 5 feedings a day. Weekdays I can nurse 2 feedings and leave 3 5 oz bottles. Weekends I nurse. She also eats 3 oz twice a day of fruit or veggie with cereal. I was thinking of increasing the solids in a month to include protein and 3 solid feedings. I have 10 5oz freezer bags and I pump exactly the amount I need. My mom watches DD and she has one extra bag at her place.

But she definitely is nursing differently. She's getting more and more distracted and I now nurse from both sides. I get about 8 min on each side if I'm lucky before she's too distracted to continue.
  • Options
    alohababy14alohababy14 member
    edited January 2015

This must really vary a lot because my son has never taken more than 4 ounces in a single bottle.

Same with my DD! She gets four 4 oz bottles at the sitter and that's exactly what I've pumped for a while now so I know my body is meeting her needs. I nurse her in the morning and evening/night and on the weekends. And I'm just fine with it because she just had her 6 month check up and she's growing and developing beautifully. Every baby is different!

Quote fail---
    I was thinking the same! I give DS a 4 oz bottle before bed. I tried giving him 5 oz once and he projectile vomited everywhere.
  • Options
    argonne said:
    DD usually takes about 10-15 oz. while I'm at work.  I nurse her in the morning, when I pick her up and before bed. She's still waking for one night time feed, too.  I usually send about 12-15 oz. to daycare (I pump about 6 oz. max per session, usually 3-5oz.).  My DCP has three bags of frozen for back-up, but DD doesn't usually get too angry when she runs out of fresh early.

I've noticed that my BM has a lot more fat on the top of it now than it did when she was little.
    This.  It seems like what I pump looks really thick and creamy compared to sometimes watery like it had been in the past.  
  • Options
    DS2 is eating 2-3 5.5-6 oz bottles a day at 6 months old. I nurse am, pm and throughout the night (usually once but sometimes twice a night.) I pump around 16-18 oz a day at work.

DS 1 was on formula by about 8-9 months old and he never ate more then 6 oz of BM for formula at time.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    DD eats around 9-13 oz of BM while I'm at work. I hate days when she is on the lower end because that means more nursing at night even though I've pumped enough during the day to cover what she should eat. She usually doesn't take more than 4 oz of a bottle at a time, usually closer to 3.
  • Options
    bullybutt said:
    My DCP said that she is eating around 6-7 oz during a feeding session, but her eating habits vary.  She might eat that one day and then only eat 4 oz the next.  I certainly don't pump 6-7oz each pump session (more like 4-5 oz and sometimes only 3 oz).  I was always in total SHOCK when I saw that FF babies were putting down like 10oz of formula.  Whhhuuutt?  That seams like SO much for a tiny tummy. 
    Yeah, pretty much this.
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"