January 2015 Moms

WWYD: Prolonged early labor

Trying to see what perspective others may have... It's hard to pull my head out of my own discomfort to really think clearly about my options.

Background: I have been having occasional painful contractions and tons of Braxton Hicks for several weeks now. I have been dilating since my 36w appointment, and as of yesterday at 39w1d, I am at 2+ cm dilated, 90% effaced, -1 station, soft cervix which is still posterior. Given all that, my Bishop score is an 8, which is very favorable for induction.

Since Monday night, I have been having regular contractions, ranging from 5-12 minutes apart (speeds up and slows down, repeat) and varying intensity (start getting harder and harder and harder to deal with, then ebb back to just very uncomfortable). I have managed to sleep some but wake several times a night with painful contractions.

Seriously, there's only so much a girl can take before going insane!

I ended up going to L&D last night as they were less than 5 mins apart for several hours, very uncomfortable to moderately painful, and lasting 1.5 mins each. Things are progressing, but slowly at this point. The nurse told me it was likely going to be pointless to admit me as it seems like it might still take awhile to progress, unless I wanted to get pitocin to push things along. Figuring I am still only at 39w1d, I chose to go home.

However, it seems my Mom had a nearly identical labor when she had me, and after 3 days ended up getting pitocin and things progressed quickly and easily from there. I was born at 38w3d. I am tempted, honestly.

My current thinking is ride this wave through the weekend - if I get to my appointment on Monday morning (39w6d) and it isn't any easier or hadn't landed me in L&D again with more progress, I think I may ask for pitocin to get things moving. I mean, at that point, I will have been laboring a freaking week! And I know there is zero chance my due date is wrong as we had infertility treatment, so we know for a fact this baby is already full term.

I know pitocin raises chances of other interventions, but I was already planning an epidural, and considering my cervix is so favorable, it feels more like augmenting labor rather than inducing from scratch. I feel guilty thinking about induction, but I can't imagine going on like this indefinitely.

So.... WWYD? Ask to be admitted and given pitocin if I reach my 40w appointment? Or keep toughing it out indefinitely? Why?
************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
Unexplained Infertility
BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

Re: WWYD: Prolonged early labor

• Honestly, I wouldn't try to ride it out over the weekend. I'm a big weanie like that.
    But of your two options, that would be the one I would choose -- wait until your Monday morning appointment and ask for pit then
  • I'd steer clear of any inductions, but that's just me. I've never needed any interventions, and I've had three all natural labors. I let my body decide when it's time...
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a ftm and was just given an induction date of next Thursday because dd is now measuring almost 2 weeks ahead. I'm really hoping that she comes on her own naturally but if she doesn't, then I get induced. If getting induced doesn't work, then I will have a c-section... Only time will tell and I'm not going to beat myself up because she will come when/how she wants to and no matter what, I get my baby girl in my arms at the end!! = ) Do whatever feels right for you and your lo mama!
    .image

• Instead of pitocin maybe try Stripping membranes first. I've had success in that twice and will be asking for it again if I make it that far.
  • I would get the pitocin, but I didn't have contractions with DS until I was actually in real active labor, and that was only 6 hours of labor before he was born. I can't imagine dealing with that for days. Good luck with whatever you decide and whatever ends up happening!
  • I would probably go for the induction, but I've also been successfully induced twice before. Pitocin isn't necessarily the worst (I had it without any pain meds last week), and it will definitely move your labor along. If you're worried, maybe you could ask for a super low dose to see if it gets things going without having to up it? Other options could be stripping membranes or having your water broken early.

Good luck with your decision, and hope your LO is born soon! :)
  • Last pregnancy I had cervidil, then wicked fast dilation+effacement with painful contractions, then an epidural, then pitocin...but I was 41+2. The whole process was unpleasant.

This time I've been going the membrane sweeping route. I had it done last Friday (37w5d) and started "real" contractions for the first time. They stopped after 24 hours and I've been getting BH contractions every night since (so I hear you on the crappy sleep). I have another appointment tomorrow and hopefully my Dr will sweep again, which will hopefully lead to labour.

Can you wait? Sure. Will you be miserable? Yup. If your dr is willing, I'd trust they're judgement (they did go to school for it and all).
  • I think it's totally up to you if your doctor is willing! Pitocin can be crazy painful though. I've said it before, it hits you like a hammer. But you might not need that much augmentation.

Just think it over. I don't think either is a bad choice.
  • I personally would suck it up and wait it out because if you aren't in active labour yet, your body is not ready to have the baby/the baby is not ready to come out! Why rush things? But I guess I would rather things happen naturally then force interventions because I'm uncomfortable. I live/grew up on a farm and I have seen the birth process thousands of times from various mammals (cows are VERY similar to humans) and when animals are induced there are often complications that arise (bleeding/retained placenta etc) that likely would have been avoided if things happened at their own pace. Also it is common to be extremely uncomfortable during the last few weeks so find a distraction to take your mind off of every small ache and pain and you will eventually go into labour all on your own.

Sorry if I sound blunt, but I'm sick of all the impatient people posting about how uncomfortable they are...its pregnancy, and the wait and pain is worth it!
  • ugh, that sounds miserable.  :(  i'd probably ask for the pit, or at least stripping of membranes.  if you've dilated enough, they may be able to just admit you and break your water to see if that's enough to get things rolling.  just a thought.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • That sounds miserable! I am sorry you are in that position! If it were me, I would get the pitocin. It sounds like things are ready to go but you body may just need a push. I have had pitocin involved in both of my labors and it worked very well. I was induced with my daughter because of low fluid. I started at 1 cm. The pitocin worked quickly and got me around 4 cm in 3-4 hours, got an epi and went from 4 to 10 in about 2 hours. With my son, my water broke at home on Monday, went in, they checked and I was at 1 cm. they admitted me around 3:30 and have two rounds of a suppository, at 7:30 I was at 1.5 cm, they started pitocin then. I started having contractions and let them go until 10:30 when they got too painful to continue being comfortable. Got the epi and the nurse had me turn on my side and rest, they checked a half an hour later, I was feeling a ton of pressure and I was at 9. They rushed and got the equipment around as I got to 10 quickly. I pushed 4 times. Both labors were nice and easy for me and I seem to respond well to pitocin. You may very well be the same, especially considering how progressed you already are. You know your baby is full term, I don't think you should feel bad at all.
  • I feel like I am going through something similar. You have definitely been dealing with it longer though, so I really do feel for you. I also have never got them down to 5 mins apart yet, so if I did that and then stalled out, I think I would be going nuts. I just had my membranes swept for a second time, and have been contracting ever since, but definitely not close enough together to be anywhere near heading in to the hospital.

I would ask this, if you do decide to go in for an induction, would they be willing to just break your water first, before trying the pit? We actually went ahead and scheduled an induction for me, in the event that labor does not pick up on its own over the weekend. I am really trying to avoid pit, and I know with my first, when they broke my water, things definitely picked up. Anyway, the plan this time, if I make it to induction day, is to break m my water and see what that does. If it kicks things into gear, then awesome. If it doesn't, then we will try the pit. Good luck with whatever you decide! I totally understand that you are miserable at this point!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I totally understand you on the prolonged early labor. I would try and make it to your appt then ask for the Pitocin. It really helped move my labor along. (I was having timeable contractions just like you).

I wouldn't let them break your water though until you were sure you were progressing since you have a limited window of time to deliver once broken.

Best of Luck in whatever you decide!
  • I would do what I did, wait until I'm having painful contractions and do the moves on Spinning Babies to help the baby engage- particularly the Walchers's position. It can't hurt to try it. I had success and progress within two contractions after doing it

I forgot about that one! I will try it when they pick up again. Any tips on knowing if baby is in the right position? Or will these not hurt if he is already facing correctly?

Thanks all. You've made me feel a bit better about all this, calmed some Mommy guilt that others would make similar choices. I was really anti-induction before 41 weeks for myself, but I think giving myself a week of early labor up to my due date is enough for me right now. I would hesitate to break my water before I am seeing some progress because of the time pressure it gives us, but I will talk to my doctors on Monday at my appt if I make it that long.

I know they'd give me pitocin - they told me they would. I am just stubbornly hoping things will pick up.

Unexplained Infertility

imageimage

• If it were me I'll just wait till Monday. I knw it is really hard with all the weird contractions and being uncomfortable but ill try to wait.

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • I think that I would try to wait it out, but I really can't say since I'm not in your shoes. I've made a lot of progress, but I don't feel anything (other than the tightness) so it's not bothering me at all.

My second choice would be to wait until the appointment on Monday and see what your doctor has to say/see how you're feeling. Obviously I'm not an expert since I've never done this, but from what I understand being effaced and dilated before active labor is a good indicator that an induction would progress well. I probably won't worry so much about an induction/pitocin since things are already moving along, even if it is slow.

I hope that things either settle down so you can get some rest before it's time or that baby decided he's ready to come out soon!
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Any tips on knowing if baby is in the right position?

There's a "baby mapping" handout on Spinning Babies that I found helpful. You basically draw where you feel the baby's hands (little movements), legs (big kicks), and butt. I don't think doing the positions will hurt if the baby's position is fine, but maybe if you know there's a reason for the lack of progress it'll make it easier to cope!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not sure how to know if it worked other than contractions picking up. It's really uncomfortable to do the position, I cried. But two contractions later everything picked up quickly. The time between contractions was cut in half. It was nuts

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• I would wait and see what happens over the weekend. If it's still going on come monday, I would ask for an induction to move things along.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry you're going through this, I can't imagine contracting for that long and then having it just stall.  Personally, since I'm against any interventions without trying everything else first, I would try different positions and the spinning baby thing first, then at the appointment I would see about getting my membranes stripped and if that didn't work by wednesday I'd go with a low dose of pit. 

Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Could you try a chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy? They might be able to make sure your pelvis is aligned correctly.

Good luck! Hope all goes well this weekend!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh I don't think I was clear - I am definitely hanging in there until Monday (39w6d) unless it becomes obviously active labor or my water breaks. By Monday, I will have had a full week of labor pains and very little sleep, assuming this keeps up. Today is worse but not enough so that I am super hopeful there's an end in sight.

We also have the consideration that my Mom already flew into town during my false alarm on Wednesday, and I really don't want to waste so much of the two weeks she can spend down here. It seems petty and selfish, but it's a very real consideration for me. Waiting until Monday seems like more than long enough to give this ongoing labor time to kick into gear on its own.

Unexplained Infertility

imageimage

• It sounds like you've already made a decision, but I just wanted to say that I would probably be making the exact same one. If nothing has kicked off by your appointment on Monday I'd be asking to start some low dose pit on Tuesday.

Heck, I'm over here getting an induction on Sunday because I'm getting too close to the midwives cut off of 42w. Maybe talk to them about how the induction will go (if you get there). My midwives explained that they try to make the induction mimic natural labor as much as possible by taking things VERY slow. They also said they would back off if it seemed like my body was starting to do what it should. Maybe some very low doses of pit are all you'll need to tip things over the edge and really get your body working.

Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• I'm in the same boat as you. I've called off of work a couple times thinking it was progressing only to stop. It doesn't help that I have an irritable uterus. Really sucks and most people look at me like I'm making it up. Oh well....good luck in whatever you do. I know how miserable it is. I am asking for an induction if I don't deliver by next Friday 40w4d. I'm exhausted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds like you've already made a decision, but I just wanted to say that I would probably be making the exact same one. If nothing has kicked off by your appointment on Monday I'd be asking to start some low dose pit on Tuesday.

Heck, I'm over here getting an induction on Sunday because I'm getting too close to the midwives cut off of 42w. Maybe talk to them about how the induction will go (if you get there). My midwives explained that they try to make the induction mimic natural labor as much as possible by taking things VERY slow. They also said they would back off if it seemed like my body was starting to do what it should. Maybe some very low doses of pit are all you'll need to tip things over the edge and really get your body working.

That kind of "kick start" is exactly what I am hoping for! I think they'll be amenable. I hope yours works very easily! I imagine being over 41w is dreadful for mindgames.

Unexplained Infertility

imageimage

• WillCMyInkWillCMyInk member
    edited January 2015

@southernyankeegirl - Oddly enough being over 41w for me isn't really much of a mind game, but that's probably because I have had very very few contractions and no other indications of labor at all. I apparently just have a genetic predisposition to gestate longer than most women.

I really hope that a little time this weekend is all you need and that you don't have to go the induction route!

Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• TXUltraRunnerTXUltraRunner member
    edited January 2015
    I don't think sex will help in this situation except to jumpstart contractions. My contractions started right up after sex just like clockwork after 2-3 weeks of painful pre labor contractions. Then I did the hippie move after 3.5 hours of the same unproductive contractions. I'm can only give advice based on my own experience but I think you've got a great game plan

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• For me, I'd wait. I'd try and get a membrane sweep first before agreeing to Pitocin.
    However; I'm one of the ones who think Pitocin is the devil. I was induced with my first and it's awful! I'd try everything else first. Sex, walking, epo, cohosh (if your blood pressure has been good and you've ok ' it with Dr first) stripping membranes, ect.

• NatureLoversNatureLovers member
    edited January 2015
    Chiming in late, but inductions aren't always bad. I had a Bishop score of 10, and I got induced. It took 10 hours to dilate from 3cm-10cm. I'd ask for the induction after finishing up any last minute chores/errands and getting as much sleep as you can overnight.
  • Yay - good luck @southernyankeegirl‌!!
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Good luck @southernyankeegirl‌ glad things moved along for you and praying for a quick healthy delivery for you and your son!
  • Whoo hoo!! Go @southernyankeegirl‌ so excited to read your birth story and see pictures of your new sweet little baby!
  • Woohoo!!! Soo happy for you !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"