Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Three hours!!! Cry it out is not working!

So my son (15 months) has gotten into a habit of waking up once a night for a sippy of milk, usually between 1230-330am ,most nights her drinks it and goes back to sleep and maybe once a week or so he stays up and is ready to party, I just leave him in bed and he eventually goes to sleep. I know it's a bad habit so I cut it out cold turkey on Monday, he now throws fits for 3 hours!!! Throws all of his stuff out of Chrib and screams , I thought that would just be he first night but it's been all three, it turn making for a terribly crabby and tired kid all day. Do I give back the sippy or stick this one out?! I'm exhausted !! Any advice ?!oh and he won't take water, and he has a pacifier :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Three hours!!! Cry it out is not working!

• Options
    daisy19782011daisy19782011 member
    edited January 2015
    This is so hard...we are sleep training one of my girls (the other doesn't need it). Are you doing a modified CIO, where you check on him/soothe in intervals----5 min., then 7, 10, etc. If not, I may try that before abandoning the whole process.
    I know how hard it is to hear my baby scream for even 5-10 minutes, so I am so sorry. I wish I had more advice.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I like option three from what @pavlovcat said. We will still get up if our DD is crying and wont settle back down (she is about 14 months now) but we are trying to get her to drink more water too so this seems like the best solution. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try replacing the mlk with cuddles until he settleS back down and is tired. He doesn't need milk at this point it has just become a habit. He will eat more during the day to make up for it.

Photo Credit: Someecards.com

Starting TTS (Trying to Sleep) in 1992

• Options
    I would give him the milk. Why is it a bad habit? Sometimes I wake up to pee & have a glass of water/milk. If you are concerned about amount then give him half.

Odds are he's just thirsty.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    How'd it go?

I'd cut out the milk. He doesn't need it and it's become a habit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    great suggestions. and a question about #3.

is leaving a sippy cup in the crib just going to create another 'habit' to later break?

my son mostly sleeps through the night, but has his phases where he'll go a week stretch waking every night for a bottle. i still give him milk, so i'll try the new watered down approach. right now i think its a growth spurt/developmental thing. and his bottles are getting reduced during the day, so he needs to learn to eat more food. i think that's the main cause right now.
  • Options

great suggestions. and a question about #3.

is leaving a sippy cup in the crib just going to create another 'habit' to later break?

my son mostly sleeps through the night, but has his phases where he'll go a week stretch waking every night for a bottle. I still give him milk, so i'll try the new watered down approach. right now i think its a growth spurt/developmental thing. and his bottles are getting reduced during the day, so he needs to learn to eat more food. i think that's the main cause right now.

Honestly, watering the milk down doesn't address him being hungry/thirsty. If you need to try a banana before bed. During growth spurts my DS (18 months) will eat 2-3 bananas after dinner (a full dinner). Do whole milk & a banana. That might calorie load him some.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Calorie load before bed & leave a sippy of water in his crib. My 3 year old still has a sippy available by her bed at night. It's natural to get up & be thirsty.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I like to sleep with a glass of water next to my bed, so I don't think a sippy of water is a bad habit. I'm more concerned about food or a sippy of milk and unbrushed teeth.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"