September 2014 Moms

Starting Solids

Our LO was born 9/4 and at our 4 Mo well visit on Monday we were told to start rice cereal. We chose Gerber Organic Brown Rice and started Tues evening. Since then, we are twice a day 1 tbsp cereal to 4 tbsp breast milk. So far so good... Little bit of actual eating without much fuss.. Lots of mess lol!

Just wondering how everyone else that started is doing? Any tips for making this easier from STMs? TIA

Lil Pumpkin Caffrey ~ 10/3/14

Re: Starting Solids

• thanks for sharing this!

our ped told us to start cereal @ 4mo, too. I thought that was strange so we are seeing a different ped. for his next appt to get a second opinion.

but I was doing some research & found a lot of moms like to blend plain oatmeal up real fine w/ a blender & mix w/ breastmilk. that's what was planning on doing...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are almost 4 months and I am thinking about starting because my LO is giant and wants to eat constantly.  We waited until 6 months with my daughter, and she was ready and immediately fed herself fruit, but I think this LO might need iron and just more food than I can provide.  Plain oatmeal does not have iron usually, so that is why infant grains are recommended for breastfed babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm waiting until 6 months, but with ds1 I found the momtastic website to be really helpful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will be starting within the next month probably and starting with a whole grain baby oatmeal. Rice cereal has no real nutritional value as it is just ground up white rice but at least it is mixed with BM or formula.

My doc said we could start whenever around the 3-4mo mark. I base my decision on my baby. I want to see good head control and him being able to sit up fairly well when he's supported on my lap. We are almost there. Things are constantly changing with the guidelines to introduce solid foods. My oldest is 13 and I started her at 3mos I think. Two years later with ds1 I was told wait to 6mos. I followed the timetable of my oldest and started him around 3-4 mos. dd2 was only about 10 weeks. She was starving constantly so I just did a little oatmeal and she went back to happy baby status. This little guy just hasn't seemed ready yet. Head control is getting better so I'll give him a little more time.

@paloma760‌ Your doctor isn't out of their mind in telling you it's ok to start foods around 4 months. The things you need to avoid are honey and unpasteurized milks and cheeses. I stay away from peanut butter because of the thickness and my worry about choking until over 1 but my doc said unless you have good cause it's not usually a concern for allergy. In the end, it's your choice on when to start solids because it's your baby.
  • We are 4m too and just started adding rice to the bottles. I did BLW with DD around 6m. I don't plan to introduce solids until he can legit sit up unassisted in the high chair. Just easier IMO.

• I didn't start solids with DD until she could sit up with no help. I think she was 5 months old, I'll do the same with DS.
  • We started our DD on cereal tonight. She's 4 months old. Our ped told us to start with this to introduce texture and we chose to use spoons instead of the bottle, but that's just our preference. She took a few spoonfuls but wasn't too interested in it
    Mommy to Arielle Jade, 9/2/2014

• Thanks ladies. We are chugging along here and so far, so good.

Our LO was 5w early so we originally thought we would wait til at least 6 months due to adjusted age, ect... Pedi said he is progressing well (head control, back control and well supported sitter) so there was no gain in waiting. That said we could wait if we wanted.

DH and I decided to give it a try BC our LO has been very interested in our eating. Broke out our Baby Bullet and got our pears ready for tomorrow. Hoping all goes well!!

Looking forward to everyone's first food stories :-)

Lil Pumpkin Caffrey ~ 10/3/14

• LO is short of 4 mo but all of a sudden his feedings are getting so close together. He went from 4 hr consistency to 3 and now 2 on the span of a week. I can't give him more formula because he can't seem to hold even 5 oz down. He's petite but hungry! So I'm hoping he can start cereal ASAP and we might skip rice because that was a constipation nightmare for DS1 and DS2 already has a sluggish bowel.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• amom2four said:

@paloma760‌ Your doctor isn't out of their mind in telling you it's ok to start foods around 4 months.

there are other reasons why we're going w/ a new pedi.

sis-in-law is in town & suggested that maybe baby has been putting things in his mouth so much b/c he sees us putting food in ours. he watches us w/ interest at meal times so it makes me think that it's time to introduce the spoon w/ something on it. but I have no fucking clue what I'm doing

• @paloma760‌ Your doctor isn't out of their mind in telling you it's ok to start foods around 4 months.
    there are other reasons why we're going w/ a new pedi. sis-in-law is in town & suggested that maybe baby has been putting things in his mouth so much b/c he sees us putting food in ours. he watches us w/ interest at meal times so it makes me think that it's time to introduce the spoon w/ something on it. but I have no fucking clue what I'm doing
    babies put everything in their mouths because that is the developmental stage they are in - not because they decided they want to eat pizza.

i'd suggest following the advice of a pediatrician or at least a reputable baby book before random thoughts of family (or non-family) members...

you can do it, don't get discouraged.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think if we get the all clear from the pedi in a couple weeks we'll start then. DD will be just over 4 months. When you guys started feeding you LOs food, what time of day did you do it?
  • We got the go ahead and went with rice cereal with a spoon. It's been three days. She is a pro! I had a little mommy guilt day 1 wondering if she was ready. I was Wrong. She squeals in delight as soon as she sees the spoon, dive bombs it and if I don't go fast enough she "yells" at me. I have been doing this during her mid morning feeding to make sure there were no issues. I think I am going to move it to evening. Every baby is different. If your baby is at least 4 months, doubled their birth weight, can sit well supported and you feel comfortable trying then go for it. If they're not ready you will know.
  • Well, I tried some really dilute baby oatmeal today.  He was over the moon about sitting in his sister's high chair.  I have never heard him shriek and laugh as much.  But when I gave him a bite, he just kept his mouth open, then jammed his hand in, and then it all leaked out the sides.  So I think we'll wait a few more weeks.  I wouldn't have tried at all except that he does not take a bottle and I really want DH to help me feed him occasionally.
  • We started with rice cereal at 4 months. He absolutely loved it. He has since had sweet potatoes which he loved and carrots which were not a hit.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've tried oatmeal cereal twice. While she loves her high chair, she's not a fan of the cereal. She makes faces and then lets it all run out of her mouth with a ton of drool. I honestly can't tell if she's just not ready or if she doesn't like the taste.

• We gave DD (just over 4months) some brown rice cereal for the first time today since her pedi said we could start if we felt she was ready. She ate 90% of what went in her mouth. She only started getting annoyed because we weren't feeding her fast enough. Kid sure does love her food

Pregnancy Ticker

• We started LO #1 a few days before 6 months and will wait until around then with this guy too. I really don't see the point in rushing it, barring medical needs of course. I'm not looking forward to the gross diapers and extra work it entails! And there are no benefits to starting early as far as I know and there are some for waiting.

My Dr did tell me to give LO rice cereal to help him sleep...I thought that was outdated advice? So yup, 6 months for us too!

?

6 months here. I'm in no hurry. Feeding babies actual food is so messy, and she doesn't need it. I'm surprised there are so many doctors telling people to start rice cereal at 4 months.

• 6 months here. I'm in no hurry. Feeding babies actual food is so messy, and she doesn't need it. I'm surprised there are so many doctors telling people to start rice cereal at 4 months.

This.

Dec '13: First FET 12/20 BFP!!
    12/31 Beta #1: 404 Beta #2: 1,027    
    Baby due 9/9/14     

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We started LO #1 a few days before 6 months and will wait until around then with this guy too. I really don't see the point in rushing it, barring medical needs of course. I'm not looking forward to the gross diapers and extra work it entails! And there are no benefits to starting early as far as I know and there are some for waiting.

My Dr did tell me to give LO rice cereal to help him sleep...I thought that was outdated advice? So yup, 6 months for us too!

?

6 months here. I'm in no hurry. Feeding babies actual food is so messy, and she doesn't need it. I'm surprised there are so many doctors telling people to start rice cereal at 4 months.

I'm a FTM and was thinking these same things and wondering if there were downsides to waiting. I've got this feeding thing finally under control at the moment and frankly, having to buy or make food, stress over what food, how much, when to feed it, and then cleanup sounds SO exhausting and overwhelming that I'll buy all the time I can get. I'm hoping by 6 months I can have my work and LOs sleep under better control so I can focus on baby led weaning correctly. Glad to hear there possibly aren't downsides to waiting! I have his 4 month appointment tomorrow though so we'll see what the pedi says.
  • I was told by our pedi that waiting after 6 months could cause food allergies. I had never heard that before but have since seen some articles that mention the same thing. We are barely doing rice cereal so far. I will start green beans and avocado in the next 2 weeks.
  • @SanRemo‌, we were told the same thing by our first doc, which I think is bullshit- but I also have my own personal theories about allergies in general.

@lmimms87‌, I startes feeding DS a little oatmeal during his mid-morning feed, but he became fussy, so I've since pushed his oatmeal sesh to lunch time. he is much more receptive.

I gotta say, I really love feeding him the oatmeal. I just tossed oats into my magic bullet, ground it to a powder & keep it in the fridge in a ziplock bag. to prepare it, I just heat up a little water or breastmilk in the microwave and whisk some powder into it. it tastes exactly like the oatmeal I make for myself every morning.

• halle83 said:
    This.
    I think it is just to practice swallowing the solids, since it's a new tongue movement from breast/bottle?  That was kind of the gist I got, but I have no idea for sure. 
  • I start my LO with rice cereal and bananas at 14 weeks.. I was told to begin around the 4 mo mark.. But he was really interested in food. He would constantly grab for what I was eating and eyeball other people's meals too. My mom is chief of her Pediatric nursing department at her hospital and told me those were all signs of the baby being ready to have solids. He did so well the first feeding, we've been feeding him twice a day and he eats 3 oz of fruits with rice cereal with 3 oz of breadmilk. My LO likes it a little thick! And he'll still scarf down 6 oz of breast milk from a bottle when he's done!
  • MLE_C2B said:

LO is short of 4 mo but all of a sudden his feedings are getting so close together. He went from 4 hr consistency to 3 and now 2 on the span of a week. I can't give him more formula because he can't seem to hold even 5 oz down. He's petite but hungry! So I'm hoping he can start cereal ASAP and we might skip rice because that was a constipation nightmare for DS1 and DS2 already has a sluggish bowel.

My LO is also having issues keeping 5oz down but is hungry for it and drinks it all... At first she did fine with that amount now she's spitting up more frequently. I'm a FTM and started her on rice cereal as recommended by our pedi (she's 18 weeks) but it seems like more ends up on her bib than her tummy ... Does this just possibly mean she's not quite ready? Should I continue these daily feedings to get her used to the spoon and the texture of food? Just curious about others thoughts and experiences with their child's first feedings and how they went...
  • MLE_C2BMLE_C2B member
    edited January 2015
    We started with oatmeal at 17 wks and its going great! DS eats enthusiastically and gets most down like a champ. He actually seems to be spitting up less and no major poop difference so far. Yay!
    Edit: wk typo
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Is anyone doing home made baby food? I watched a video and said you don't have to start with cereal or oatmeal at all if you do homemade and just to make it really runny with formula or breastmilk does anyone know if that's true? My pediatrician also recommended 6 months but said it's up to us but didn't specify about cereal or how I start :/
  • Same here. I EBF and that's what our pediatrician said to do. I will probably start with ground up veggies and fruits, such as sweet potatoes, or carrots. Looking forward to it, but am totally fine with EBF
  • Well, I tried some really dilute baby oatmeal today.  He was over the moon about sitting in his sister's high chair.  I have never heard him shriek and laugh as much.  But when I gave him a bite, he just kept his mouth open, then jammed his hand in, and then it all leaked out the sides.  So I think we'll wait a few more weeks.  I wouldn't have tried at all except that he does not take a bottle and I really want DH to help me feed him occasionally.

This made me laugh out loud- I could just picture it.

I'm planning to start BLW at 6 months, probably with avocado and banana first. I told my mom about it, and she asked me if she could still feed DD oatmeal if she wanted... I didn't feel like starting an argument so I just said I don't know right now, we'll talk about it when I started feeding her. She was more worried about what would be easier for her when she babysits... seriously? 1) it's not about you. 2) blw will probably be easier for you! Ugh.
  • My baby is 4.5 months old and in the 10th% for weight at 12lb7oz today.  Had baby at the doc today for check up and shots.  Docs advice was to start rice cereal 1 time per day at night fed about an hour before bedtime, 1 tsp cereal to 2 tsp breastmilk.  Gosh I googled rice cereal and there of course is controversy to it like everything else. . . .she believes she is waking up a lot at night due to hunger.  She is very interested in us when we are eating/drinking.
  • We tried the rice cereal around 4 months, but LO wasn't really into it. So I waited to try again until 5 months. She still wasn't really into the rice cereal, so I just jumped into the baby food and she LOVES it. She gets so excited to eat and makes these sweet noises that she's happy and content when eating. I'm glad I didn't keep trying with the rice cereal and kind of wish I had given the baby food a little earlier.
    Me: 36       DH:38
    DD born 9/3/14
    BFP: 1/8/18        EDD: 9/18/18
  • We did pureed organic avocado at 5 months last week! He loved it! Waited 3 days to make sure he wasn't allergic and fed him some more. Only gave him a few teaspoons. Not sure how much he actually swallowed though haha!
  • My LO is I little over 5 months and he just started eating solids a few days ago.

I breastfeed on demand and after his morning feed he has 1 tbsp of rice cereal with BM. After his lunch time feed he has about 1-2 tbsp of sweet potato. I've also given him avocado, but we have run out since then. He loves to eat and grabs the spoon. He also get agitated if his daddy or I do not feed him quickly enough.

I was planning to wait until 6 months, but he had been showing interest in eating for a couple of weeks and seemed to be developmentally ready.

The momtastic website has been very helpful in establishing some guidelines for introducing solids.

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/startingsolidfood-schedule.htm
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wondering if avocado made your baby gasy? My DD enjoyed it but woke up with bad gas overnight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"