Toddlers: 24 Months+

do 2 yr olds get bored? and other Q's

DD is an only child and I'm a sahm. we spend the majority of our time at home and I sometimes wonder if DD gets bored of being home all the time? what do y'all do during winter with your 2 yr old? sometimes I look at her and just feel bad like we could be doing something more fun instead of the same stuff every day. or it could be all in my head who knows. also, how much interaction with other kids should I be giving to DD?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: do 2 yr olds get bored? and other Q's

• In my opinion, yes, they can get bored. I think she'd let you know though if that was the case by being extra whiny or clingy. If she seems happy with the routine, I wouldn't worry about it.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes they can get bored. But your daughter could be a homebody and that's totally fine.
    We try to leave the house most days of the week even if it's just to go to the grocery store.
  • Loading the player...
  • Of course they can get bored, but DS will definitely let me know (acting out, whining, etc).  We're out of the house pretty much every morning - going to the gym, the library, errands, playdates, etc.  There are some days we do just chill at home, but I think it's beneficial to get out and about *especially* in the winter when it's so blah anyway!
  • I'm not a SAHM but during the winter we do things like go to Barnes and Nobles and sit and read a few books and I'll let him play in the train area that they have for kids. We also go to Color Me Mine to paint ceramics, or the skating rink. At home DS has a play kitchen, blocks, books and an easel to paint, etc. So we do a lot together.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Try seeing if there is any community activities going on that you can do with her? Pinterest also has a lot of things to do with toddlers, like sensory play or new activities?
  • Yes they can be bored and mine is really good at letting me know because she becomes super clingy and starts pacing the house. I hate being at home. I work full time but on the weekends we are usually out of the house by 10, usually to run errands or go to the mall or indoor play places, and get home for lunch and nap. Perhaps check out pintrest for toddler activites. I found a lot that we did last winter when the Michigan weather kept us indoors most weekends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Also maybe you local library has a play area and toddler classes (mine does and its free!)
  • Oh another thing dd loves is the pool. Is there a local pool nearby? Our city has an indoor one. also maybe a school nearby you has one- they usually have family swim time.
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited January 2015
    DD is an only child and I'm a sahm. we spend the majority of our time at home and I sometimes wonder if DD gets bored of being home all the time? what do y'all do during winter with your 2 yr old? sometimes I look at her and just feel bad like we could be doing something more fun instead of the same stuff every day. or it could be all in my head who knows. also, how much interaction with other kids should I be giving to DD?
    They can definitely get bored. I am a SAHM as well and just had a baby a couple of months ago and that had made us be at home more. We also moved to good sized house with a backyard after having the baby though and that has helped keep DS more entertained. Before the baby and moving we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment that was not small but DS would still get bored if we stayed in all day. 

We normally went to the gym 4-5 days a week and he'd play at the daycare for 1-2 hours. McDonald's play area, library, rec center pool, play areas at the mall, playdates, and even running errands all get us out of the house. We also have an annual pass to a local museum which has a kid's are and DS loves it. Even if money is tight, I'd suggest looking at an annual pass at one of the attractions in your town. You'll save tons of money with a pass and will have a good option to keep busy for a whole year. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards