Postpartum Depression

Is this PPD??

Hi all, I've never posted on this board before but I have been watching it for awhile I hesitated to post because it seems like my problems are nothing compared to some posters but...I'm wondering if I have post partum depression. I had my LO in September and went back to work right before the holidays. I work from home, have a nanny here three days a week, and LO is at daycare two days a week. This is exactly the setup I wanted. He is having a bit of trouble transitioning to the nanny (lots of crying, fighting sleep) but that is normal. My problem is I can't stop crying. I take him to daycare and then come home and sob all day even though I know he is fine. It's even worse when the nanny is here because I can hear him crying -- I have constant anxiety and think about quitting my job all the time (even though I like my job and had no intention of quitting before). I've always had anxiety issues so that is nothing new but I'm not used to feeling this sad all the time. I also feel horribly guilty any time I'm not with the baby and have trouble taking any time for myself. I'm just wondering if I'm just overly emotional due to nursing, etc or if I actually need help. Maybe I just need someone to talk to. Thanks for listening.

Re: Is this PPD??

• I'm sorry you're dealing with this. PPD looks different on everyone, but if you're wondering if you have it, I would speak with your OB or PCP to see what they think.

Also, I don't know if this child is your first or not, but just know that kids totally screw with your mind. You feel guilty over leaving them, you feel guilty over not leaving them, you feel guilty for wearing the color yellow. It does get better! There is absolutely no shame in getting some help to deal with it, and I encourage you to talk to your doctor! And keep coming here :)

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Everything PP said!
    I also want to add that if it is effecting your daily functioning then I would say it's probably PPD or PP anxiety and you should definitely seek some help. It's true that it takes on different forms, but I've heard other people have the same issues you are having. I have some guilt of my own, also. It's so hard, but gets better. My son is 7 mths and it's only gotten better.
  • Loading the player...
  • wieb67wieb67 member
    edited January 2015

Thanks guys. I will make an appointment with my OB and see what she says.

ETA: yes he is my first child! I'm so back and forth with whether he's okay with the nanny here or if he's better off in daycare. Daycare would save me money for sure and he seems to do really well there. I also get much more done when he isn't here because I'm pumping rather than nursing. Ugh. I'll give this arrangement a few weeks and see if it gets better. It sucks cuz I just hired her but I don't trust her with him (although it took me months to even trust my mother in law with him, and she is great with babies).

• If he's doing well with daycare and you function better with him at daycare I'd send him there.
    Even if you aren't diagnosed with anything, it would probably help to see a therapist or join a mommy group. It does sound like PPA/PPD to me though, your experience is similar to mine.
    Hang in there and GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"