December 2014 Moms

Milk Supply issues

How have you dealt with your milk supply? LO was born 12.2 at 6lbs 9oz and left the hospital at 5.14. My milk never fully came in and I had a very rough time when the pediatrician said we had to supplement (she didn't even suggest ways on improving BF). I'm going back to work at the end of the month, and plan to pump even if I don't get much milk in. How has your experience been? Have you tried anything that has helped to increase your milk? I've eaten oatmeal and blueberries and a few other things but haven't seen a dramatic increase.
First time mommy to a sweet baby boy!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Milk Supply issues

• I have a low-ish supply, but it's slowly getting better. Can't say for sure if it's any of the following or if it's just time and effort, but here is what I've been doing:

-gave up on the breast and switched to pumping. LO just wasn't efficient and therefore my body wasn't getting
    signals to make more
    -trying to pump until & slightly beyond when milk stops flowing (but I never really get a "flow", so this is hard to tell)
    -oatmeal. brown rice. hummus. basically any of the foods that a Google search tells you may help
    -mothers milk tea, twice daily
    -fenugreek pills
    -hot compress or boob massage before pumping
    -making sure to eat & drink enough

At this point, I'm still not getting enough to avoid supplementing with formula. We've been rotating each feeding between breastmilk & formula. I *think* my supply may now be at a point where we can do two breastmilk feedings for every one formula feeding. I'm hopeful to one day be able to nix the formula all together, but not banking on it.

Totally understand what you mean when you say you had a hard time when you had to start supplementing. DH and I both had to seriously adjust our vision of what we thought would happen. But what matters is feeding your kid.

Good luck!
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• My supply was also low at first, so my pediatrician gave me an appointment with their Lactation Consultant. We ended up supplementing and I now take fenugreek 3x a day, which had helped my supply tremendously. Everyone has different issues, so it's important you see a LC personally who can diagnose the problem and set you on the right track.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also am taking fenugreek, 3 pills 3 times daily. My lactation consultant also recommends blessed thistle (another herb supplements) at the same rate.
    I was pumping one side at a time and she said both at once will increase volume so I started that today when I got this hand's free strappy thing in the mail from Amazon.com. she also said to make sure it's at least 8 sessions daily. I'm hitting 7 every day and 8 when possible.
    Before I met with her I'd get a combined half or 3/4 oz from both sides. A week later I just got 2.3 oz so something is helping! Good luck mama!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited January 2015
    My supply was low at first with my last baby due to his tongue tie issues. Once I began EPing with the Lactina and taking a host of galactagogues: Fenugreek x12, More Milk Plus, Mother's Milk Tea, and then Domperidone, there was a big jump in my supply. I still had to continue pumping until he was able to transfer milk sufficiently.

I'm still dealing with low supply this time. I'm still working on increasing my supply on my left side so that I can wean my right again (like last time, too). I've been doing the same as before (plus taking Floradix) minus the Dom. I may order some next week. I should be receiving my lactation cookies soon. I also pump after some of her feedings. With the system I have in place now she still gets about 8 oz of formula a day. Low supply this time was the result of PPH-induced anemia.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I have under-supply as well. We spent a lot of time with our LC and LO now gets about 10oz of my milk per day, what we can't give him in breast milk, we have to supplement with formula. I have been on a strict, pump 10-12x per day per my LC and I'm positive it has helped. I also take Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Tea, make sure I'm eating enough and I drink a ton of water. I made lactation bars last week and I honestly think that really helped kick up my supply. They have flax meal, oats, oat flour and Brewers yeast which are all supposedly helpful to milk supply. I will post the recipe link later today if anyone wants to try them out!
  • RaeChayRaeChay member
    edited January 2015
    my routine is as follows: every 2-3 hours 1) breastfeed til fail 2) give bottle til he refuses 3) pump til about 5 min after drops stop collecting. 

Tried Lactation Support capsules but they gave me horrid diarrhea, so I plan to try plain fenugreek next. Also drink 2 cups Mother's Milk tea/day. I have a recipe and the ingredients for lactation cookies but haven't made them yet. Here is my recipe anyway.

ETA: and beer (didn't want to forget the best part). Immediately after pumping/1.5-2 hours before next BF.
  • RaeChay said:

my routine is as follows: every 2-3 hours 1) breastfeed til fail 2) give bottle til he refuses 3) pump til about 5 min after drops stop collecting. 

Tried Lactation Support capsules but they gave me horrid diarrhea, so I plan to try plain fenugreek next. Also drink 2 cups Mother's Milk tea/day. I have a recipe and the ingredients for lactation cookies but haven't made them yet. Here is my recipe anyway.

ETA: and beer (didn't want to forget the best part). Immediately after pumping/1.5-2 hours before next BF.

And beer?? Meaning you drink a beer after each session?
  • Re: beer, I've read and been told (from LC at our pedi office) that it needs to be something like Guinness. Miller Lite or something similar won't do much. I tried this for a few days but hate Guinness, so I let this option drop.

I also paid the outrageous amount to buy milkmakers lactation cookies because I'm too lazy to make them. Super pricey for 10 freaking cookies, but I do think they're really good.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• stefdolly said:

And beer?? Meaning you drink a beer after each session?
    rofl - no not every session :) maybe 1-2 per day.
  • They sell the Milkmakers cookies at my local grocery store and although you pay an arm and a leg, they are tasty and HUGE!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I experienced having less & less milk with my first child around the 2nd month. I just drank more water & took Fenugreek & Mother's Milk capsules. Worked wonders! Also keep taking your prenatals.
  • if u are too lazy/tired to bake lactation cookies u can have the same effect by throwing the same active ingredients into a smoothie. in particular the brewers yeast and ground flax seeds. you can even put in some
    oats too along with fruit and milk or just ha e them separately as oatmeal. I actually found a fruit smoothie covered up the taste of the yeast better than a cookie and has none of the refined sugar and butter that is in a standard lactation cookie recipe.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Be careful with the beer thing. If you check KellyMom's site about alcohol, it says that alcohol has been shown to actually decrease your supply. The only beers that may help milk production (or at least not inhibit it) are ones with specific ingredients in them that override the effects of the alcohol on your let-down. Guinness is the one most commonly recommended because it's made with barley.

Basically, some beers will actually inhibit production & let down, while others MAY help with production.
    I could be wrong on this but I would imagine that virtually any alcohol will have a drying effect on milk supply to some degree - because logic. But because I do like beer I figure it's probably my best bet if I want to have a drink. Also - I was told by my LC that it's the hops in beer that help with supply?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"