December 2014 Moms
Options

Painful poops :/

This is going to be extremely tmi but I had to ask. After delivering on Dec. 28 it took me 6 days to have a bowel movement. The first one I took did not hurt at all. But for the past 3 days I have been having very bad butt issues all around!

On the first day it started I went to the bathroom & not much came out. Just very hard & short stools. It didn't exactly hurt but I felt like I had to push more out. I could just feel more sitting right there so I tried to push it out but nothing came out. So I gave up & got up & the minute I made it to the bedroom I had this very strong & painful urge to push. So I went back to the bathroom & tried for 30 minutes to pass this painful stool but it just wouldn't come out.

In the end it resulted in me not being able to even sit on my butt & extreme butt pain because I could just feel it stuck right there. It remand that way even the next day along with the painful urge to push. I went to the doctor yesterday to check for hemorrhoids & I have none. When I got home I drank prune juice & had to go again. I passed 2 very small painful hard stools & once again another piece got stuck right there. & once again I have horrible butt pain from it being stuck right there & the urge to push it out.

I'm in so much pain & discomfort from this. I barely eat because I don't want to make things worse. I drink water & fluids all day long. I've been taking Colace as well. I feel like both things are not working at all. This has never happened to me before & idk what else to do about it. My doctor didn't really give me much help but just clarified I didn't have hemorrhoids. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what I could do?

Re: Painful poops :/

• Options
    Water!!! Don't get dehydrated.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Awww I feel ya. I'm starting to get some of that from my endometriosis making a reappearance. Fun.

Sorry your doctor wasn't much help, they probably lump all post partum ladies in the same boat. Drink a ton of water, try having a little coffee, take Colace, eat fruits and veggies. Also don't hold it in, but wait until you really have to go...might require less pushing.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe you should try a laxative rather than a stool softener?

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    So this is probably the LAST thing you want to do... But as a nurse, we sometimes need to help our patients, often the elderly, and we do whats called a "digital disimpaction"... Digital, referring to your fingers. Yes, take a finger or two and put it up there and break the pieces down and help them make their way out. I know it sounds awful but you will feel the best relief of your life. Maybe wear a nice rubber glove.
  • Options
    You can also put your feet on a low stool. Getting your knees higher than your hips shortens the rectal vault and makes it a little easier to push out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    stefdolly said:
    So this is probably the LAST thing you want to do... But as a nurse, we sometimes need to help our patients, often the elderly, and we do whats called a "digital disimpaction"... Digital, referring to your fingers. Yes, take a finger or two and put it up there and break the pieces down and help them make their way out. I know it sounds awful but you will feel the best relief of your life. Maybe wear a nice rubber glove.
    Second this, buy a pack of latex/nitrile/vinyl gloves from walgreens or where ever and swallow your pride. You'll be glad you did. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    kc295905 said:

maybe your vagina is what is hurting? Not from hemorrhoids? I know that whole area was really sore for me. Try to put some counter pressure by pushing lightly on your vagina with a pad while you are going to the bathroom but don't strain. Keep drinking lots of water, eating fruits and vegetables and coffee helps me go. Keep taking stool softener. I also took some Metamucil for a few days. I also use some wet wipes not dry toilet paper bc it's gentler when wiping. I would also call doctor again if you're in that much pain. I know it's horrible :/ good luck!

Thank you. I'll try some Metamucil because I don't think Colace is doing anything for me. I'll get some more fruits & just eat spinach salads from now as well. It's definitely my butt that hurts though not my vagina. I only got three stitches & didn't tear at all on the bottom so I feel no pain at all in there thankfully.
  • Options

asbs11 said:

This is going to be extremely tmi but I had to ask. After delivering on Dec. 28 it took me 6 days to have a bowel movement. The first one I took did not hurt at all. But for the past 3 days I have been having very bad butt issues all around!

On the first day it started I went to the bathroom & not much came out. Just very hard & short stools. It didn't exactly hurt but I felt like I had to push more out. I could just feel more sitting right there so I tried to push it out but nothing came out. So I gave up & got up & the minute I made it to the bedroom I had this very strong & painful urge to push. So I went back to the bathroom & tried for 30 minutes to pass this painful stool but it just wouldn't come out.

In the end it resulted in me not being able to even sit on my butt & extreme butt pain because I could just feel it stuck right there. It remand that way even the next day along with the painful urge to push. I went to the doctor yesterday to check for hemorrhoids & I have none. When I got home I drank prune juice & had to go again. I passed 2 very small painful hard stools & once again another piece got stuck right there. & once again I have horrible butt pain from it being stuck right there & the urge to push it out.

I'm in so much pain & discomfort from this. I barely eat because I don't want to make things worse. I drink water & fluids all day long. I've been taking Colace as well. I feel like both things are not working at all. This has never happened to me before & idk what else to do about it. My doctor didn't really give me much help but just clarified I didn't have hemorrhoids. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what I could do?

Colace and lots of it. Keep eating, it's ridiculous not to eat. Lots of water too.

You are experiencing constipation. Use google for quick tips or hey, call your doctor and ask how to handle constipation. You know, like an adult.

6 days is a long time for crap to get compounded.
    Did you read the part of my post where I said I WENT to the doctor yesterday like an adult? :-/
  • Options
    stefdolly said:

Oh my. I suppose if things don't change I'll give it a go because by that point I'll be desperate for anything.
  • Options
    So along these lines, the last week when I poop it feels like glass....yay anyways it comes with some blood on the toilet paper and in the toilet....another yay. I believe it's fissures being exacerbated by the post partum poops and me going off colace too soon. Should I call my Ob or just schedule directly with gastroenterologist? My insurance does not require referrals and I've been to the gastro before. I just figure my Ob is going to say it's just post partum issues take ur colace or he's gonna say you need to go see the gastroenterologist.
  • Options
    You can also try mixing equal parts sprite and prune juice. Put a generous dab of butter on top and microwave for 30 seconds. Chug it and you should see some action.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    nwsnowbunnynwsnowbunny member
    edited January 2015
    RaeChay said:

stefdolly said:

Second this, buy a pack of latex/nitrile/vinyl gloves from walgreens or where ever and swallow your pride. You'll be glad you did. 

---qbf---

Seriously, this. Also my OB recommended Miralax for when colace wasn't enough. Miralax is a miracle!
    *********************************************BIG SIG************************************************
    FTM PgAL  IT'S A GIRL!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    path75path75 member
    edited January 2015
    A week and a half before I delivered I had bad constipation. It is too late for stool softners, you need a laxative. I took two ducolax twice a day. By the 2nd day I passed but it did hurt at first and you may cramp just before. Good luck.

• Options
    asbs11asbs11 member
    edited January 2015

asbs11 said:

asbs11 said:

Colace and lots of it. Keep eating, it's ridiculous not to eat. Lots of water too.

You are experiencing constipation. Use google for quick tips or hey, call your doctor and ask how to handle constipation. You know, like an adult.

Did you read the part of my post where I said I WENT to the doctor yesterday like an adult? :-/
    I did, but you SAID you only talked about hemorrhoids NOT constipatio. Two totally different things. Advocate for yourself.
    That is not at all what I said. I said my doctor did not give me much help but did clarify I didn't have hemorrhoids. Where does it say I went to the doctor to check for hemorrhoids? Where does it say that was the reason I went? Stop thinking up ways of how to be an ass & just read the next time before wanting to be rude for no reason at all.
  • Options
    rshamos said:

You can also try mixing equal parts sprite and prune juice. Put a generous dab of butter on top and microwave for 30 seconds. Chug it and you should see some action.

I second the eating. It actually helped move things along for me. Andplusalso it's not a good idea to not eat. Especially if you're trying to breastfeed.

I ate more today & was able to go to the bathroom. It was painful but not as painful as before. & no urge to push more afterwards either.
  • Options
    path75 said:

A week and a half before I delivered I had bad constipation. It is too late for stool softners, you need a laxative. I took two ducolax twice a day. By the 2nd day I passed but it did hurt at first and you may cramp just before. Good luck.

Thank you I'm going to get a laxative tomorrow. Warm prune juice has been working really well though. I was able to go today. It was painful but so much better than before.
  • Options
    I didn't poop for ten days and passed out from the pain. My doc sent me to the ER. They gave me a shot in the arm to make me poop. That didn't work. They made me drink something but that didn't work either. Then they gave me three enemas. That didn't work. I was in excruciating pain, worse than childbirth. Eventually I went home and gave it some time for the drink they gave me to work and it did. It is what people drink before colonoscopies. I think you can get it over the counter. Had I not pooped, I was told to come back to the hospital for surgery.
  • Options

I didn't poop for ten days and passed out from the pain. My doc sent me to the ER. They gave me a shot in the arm to make me poop. That didn't work. They made me drink something but that didn't work either. Then they gave me three enemas. That didn't work. I was in excruciating pain, worse than childbirth.

Eventually I went home and gave it some time for the drink they gave me to work and it did. It is what people drink before colonoscopies. I think you can get it over the counter.

Had I not pooped, I was told to come back to the hospital for surgery.

That sounds completely terrible! I'm so glad something worked for you & you finally went. I understand what you mean about the pain being worser than childbirth. It's ridiculous.
  • Options

I have major butt issues....from hemmroids to fissures. 

But anyway....keep taking your Colace, drink water and eat some fiber.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Magnesium Citrate. You will shit like a freight train was loaded into your digestive system.... 

Ditto! I had some digestive problems years ago, this worked like a charm.
  • Options
    asbs11asbs11 member
    edited January 2015

asbs11 said:

asbs11 said:

asbs11 said:

I did, but you SAID you only talked about hemorrhoids NOT constipatio. Two totally different things. Advocate for yourself.
    That is not at all what I said. I said my doctor did not give me much help but did clarify I didn't have hemorrhoids. Where does it say I went to the doctor to check for hemorrhoids? Where does it say that was the reason I went? Stop thinking up ways of how to be an ass & just read the next time before wanting to be rude for no reason at all.
    lol. Stop turning to an Internet message board for medical advice. And the whole not eating to not make it worse was just stupid.
    Yeah that's what I thought. Your just a rude person with nothing better to do. You don't even read post throughout before coming up with something rude to say. Now your just thinking up things to say. We all come here for advice. Once again I went to my doctor before I made this post. Therefore I did get medical advice. But it did not help me. When he could not help me I asked others for their opinions & glad I did because I am having normal bowel movements again. Telling someone they need to be an adult & then calling them stupid makes you look absolutely ignorant. You should really stop using the internet as a source to relieve your anger & stress because you do a horrible job at it.
  • Options
    asbs11 said:

asbs11 said:

You basically wrote a very long description of constipation and didn't seem to know that's what it was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your doctor didn't give any recommendations for the constipation? I would rather take his recommendations over Internet strangers. I feel his advice would be more sound
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options

I didn't poop for ten days and passed out from the pain. My doc sent me to the ER. They gave me a shot in the arm to make me poop. That didn't work. They made me drink something but that didn't work either. Then they gave me three enemas. That didn't work. I was in excruciating pain, worse than childbirth.

Eventually I went home and gave it some time for the drink they gave me to work and it did. It is what people drink before colonoscopies. I think you can get it over the counter.

Had I not pooped, I was told to come back to the hospital for surgery.

I don't even go here but I'm the queen of constipation. 

Magnesium Citrate. You will shit like a freight train was loaded into your digestive system.... 

if Mag Citrate doesn't work, it's time to break out the gloves :/
    drpayne said:

asbs11 said:

asbs11 said:

You basically wrote a very long description of constipation and didn't seem to know that's what it was.
    Yeah in the end it was just bad constipation. I've never been constipated like that before or in that much pain ever in life.
  • Options
    asbs11asbs11 member
    edited January 2015

Your doctor didn't give any recommendations for the constipation? I would rather take his recommendations over Internet strangers. I feel his advice would be more sound

My doctor told me to take Colace & drink water. But I was already doing all those things & it wasn't working. I'm glad I went on here & asked strangers. I was able to find something that actually worked for me. Now I know what to do next time instead of being miserable for as long as I was.
  • Options

I think you should totally shove your fingers up your butt.

Lol luckily it didn't resort to that. I've been having normal & unpainful go's again after getting Metamucil & milk of magnesia.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"