July 2014 Moms

It's all about that tube, 'bout that tube, 'bout that tube...

Spencer is obsessed with television. OBSESSED!! 
We live in a small house so no matter where he is, unless he is in his room, he can see it. We don't like to let him watch it, but sometimes we give in when he is fussing. He will crank his head to see it if he is eating, sitting on someone's lap, laying on the floor....it's nuts! I know it's just the colours and movement that he is interested in, not what is actually on but I still feel guilty when I give in. 
He seems to have a soft spot for Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead. Just kidding, that's me.

Re: It's all about that tube, 'bout that tube, 'bout that tube...

• Is he still obsessed when it's off?

• Zoey will turn her head if she hears Mickey Mouse or other kid shows and she smiles and laughs but has no interest in adult tv haha.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Loading the player...
  • edited January 2015
    Football is her favorite. It's the same way in our house. I don't put her in front of it but if it's on, sometimes she'll turn her head. I have a feeling we will be getting all the Veggie Tale DVDs soon as my husband walks around singing "CeBoooooooo" and "I love the bunny" or something.
  • Toddler edition of this topic -

We used the tv to babysit DS while I was pregnant with DD more than I wish we had of but I was extremely tired, blah blah pregnancy, blah blah Bob Loblaw. Anyway, since then (he's 3) he was constantly asking to watch TV. He refused to go in his room & play. He just whined all the time about watching tv. Slowly I broke him of it by making sure he had tons of activities on hand to do. Play doh, magnetic sand, noodle box (look at me being all Pinteresty) with scoops, colors, markers & anything else the Dollar Tree had. Now he is constantly asking to do crafts. I'm glad it's not tv but I kind of wish he'd just go in his room & play with his toys. His room is right off the living room so it's not like he's banished in there or we can't see him.

6 month old edition -

She takes a glance every now & then but cries if I were to plop her there so I could get a shower.

• Skeemer said:

Toddler edition of this topic -

We used the tv to babysit DS while I was pregnant with DD more than I wish we had of but I was extremely tired, blah blah pregnancy, blah blah Bob Loblaw. Anyway, since then (he's 3) he was constantly asking to watch TV. He refused to go in his room & play. He just whined all the time about watching tv. Slowly I broke him of it by making sure he had tons of activities on hand to do. Play doh, magnetic sand, noodle box (look at me being all Pinteresty) with scoops, colors, markers & anything else the Dollar Tree had. Now he is constantly asking to do crafts. I'm glad it's not tv but I kind of wish he'd just go in his room & play with his toys. His room is right off the living room so it's not like he's banished in there or we can't see him.

6 month old edition -

She takes a glance every now & then but cries if I were to plop her there so I could get a shower.

Everyday we get asked for Mickey Mouse from DS. We tend to put it on weekend mornings before 6am while we're all in bed for a few extra minutes. So far we've been able to distract him for the most part (we get a lot of "Mickey mouse is over") outside of that, but it was helpful to put on the iPad while we finished packing and loading the car to go home from our long weekend. I think I'll need to get to the dollar store soon, though.
  • ChrisBChrisB member
    edited January 2015

Is he still obsessed when it's off?
    If we turn it off, he will be a little pissy at first, then we can distract him with other things. It could be off for hours and the second it's turned on, he's all over it.

• ChrisB said:

Is he still obsessed when it's off?

If we turn it off, he will be a little pissy at first, then we can distract him with other things. It could be off for hours and the second it's turned on, he's all over it.

If it were me, I'd probably just leave it off unless the baby was sleeping or not home. I've definitely noticed babies are drawn to the TV if it's on. If you just leave it off, hopefully he'll eventually forget about it.

• Is he still obsessed when it's off?

If it were me, I'd probably just leave it off unless the baby was sleeping or not home. I've definitely noticed babies are drawn to the TV if it's on. If you just leave it off, hopefully he'll eventually forget about it.
    I saw the comment you made on June14 about letting your baby watch tv. I am certainly not irresponsible or lazy, so I hope that comment wasn't indirectly directed at me. Let's face it, I'm home all day with him and the tv is bound to be on at some point. We do lots of other stuff throughout the day that doesn't involve television. I'm not concerned about him watching it here and there, I was more saying how funny it is that he seems SO drawn to it.
  • darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited January 2015
    JUST DELETE MY CONTENT

• I can't imagine letting my baby watch TV. I can't put my finger on it--but maybe it seems irresponsible and lazy? At the same time, if I had a toddler and an infant maybe I would change my tune and let the toddler watch because I can imagine being extremely overwhelmed.

Skeemer for the QFP! I'm back in action people. Man, it feels good to be a gangsta.

*****stuck in quote box****

@Skeemer - thanks for the QFP
  • It was just a FFFC to get a convo going. Like I said, I imagine at some point I'll let LO watch TV also. When we watch football, he's also drawn to the TV but I so my best to keep it off because he is so into it.

• My kid (DS) WON'T watch TV.  I wish he would so that I would have a moment to do something alone or spend with DD.   I try to put on cartoons or education animals shows but he just glances at it and then wants to do something hands on instead.  Every kid is different and you have to tailor things to suit them.  As long as your not letting them zombie out to the tube, then by all means take care of shit while you get the chance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I could so go for a McChicken right now!
  • If DH and I have the TV on DD loves to look at it. She doesn't zone into it, but she will look for 20 seconds until we try to distract her with her toys. If she would stare happily for 10 minutes I would totally take advantage of that to have an uninterupted dinner to eat at the same time as DH.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited January 2015
    JUST DELETE MY CONTENT
  • Skeemer said:

ChrisB said:

I can't imagine letting my baby watch TV. I can't put my finger on it--but maybe it seems irresponsible and lazy? At the same time, if I had a toddler and an infant maybe I would change my tune and let the toddler watch because I can imagine being extremely overwhelmed.

Skeemer for the QFP! I'm back in action people. Man, it feels good to be a gangsta.

*****stuck in quote box****

@Skeemer - thanks for the QFP

I can put my finger on it. It's called -

1) I need to shower

2) My house is gross & people are coming over

3) I would like to eat more than Cheetos for ______ (insert meal time of choice)

4) I have no clean underwear & need 5 minutes without a crying infant & cranky toddler to put in a load of laundry.

5) One zillion other things.

@Skeemer‌
    Hugs... Just hugs...
    So right!

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• SkeemerSkeemer member
    edited January 2015

@Texasgirl81 Bring it in...

• Skeemer said:

@Texasgirl81 Bring it in...

Literally one of my favorite movies ever.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• TV pretty much turns on when I get home from work with LO because it's finally my time to relax (as much as you can with a 5 month old).  LO will watch it at times.  He especially likes football, which I think is funny so many others have said that!  He wasn't particularly impressed with the Rose Bowl Parade.  

He doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to the TV if football's not on, but he does watch daddy play Shadows of Mordor on the PS4.  Baby's pretty much doomed to be a gamer though, between his dad and me. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A watched Taken 2 with us the other day. She was really into it.
    I saw Taken 3 advertised the other day. That poor chick can't catch a break.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"