High-Risk Pregnancy

Stillborn at 40 weeks 5 years ago...

Newbie here! Not sure that I really belong on this board, but looking for some Insight. My daughter was stillborn 5 years ago.. 2 days before she was due...heartbeat could not be detected so they did an ultrasound and I was told there was hardly any amniotic fluid left and I must have been leaking over time. They of course immediately induced me, and my daughter was born with an extra long umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. What actually went wrong, I still don't know. I still feel very in the dark about the whole thing-probably because I was young and in shock at the time and just didn't probe my dr for answers. Now, I'm 12 weeks pregnant again..using the same OB. However, I just requested an OB transfer because I feel like she isn't really on top of things. I guess I'm really not sure if I even have a question...wondering your thoughts on this. Freak accident? Or I may be high risk this time around? I know you all are not docs by any means and can't tell me one way or another..and speaking with new dr soon. Thanks for reading my ramble!

Re: Stillborn at 40 weeks 5 years ago...

• No experience but my heart goes out to you. And definitely switch if you are not comfortable with your current OB.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • I didn't want to read and run.  I am so sorry for your loss. If I was you I would try another OB and find someone who is compassionate about your situation and willing to monitor you a bit more closely.  If you were leaking amniotic fluid I would ask for frequent scans of fluid throughout your pregnancy.  Whether or not it was a one time accident that happened there are things that doctors can do to give you piece of mind.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you guys

• Had you been feeling the baby move before it passed? Were you being seen weekly? When was the last time the baby was checked prior to the accident? These are all important to making this pg a success. You are high risk because of your loss. You need to make sure they do regular scans and that you also keep on top of things.

So sorry for your loss.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• fuss444fuss444 member
    edited January 2015
    My daughter was never a very active baby but yes she was moving the day before my appointment. I was going weekly and doing every thing I was supposed to do. I had zero problems during my pregnancy (unless doc just failed to mention things to me). I was 22 at the time..single and in college working full time. Not that that really makes a difference except that maybe it just wasn't meant to be!
  • I think if you are uncomfortable change. You are still early.

I lost my son a year ago at 24w and had 4 other losses, all with the same dr. I don't think I could keep going if it wasn't for him. I can't imagine going through this again without his support.

((Hugs))

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• I would insist that whoever is going to deliver you do so at 39 weeks no matter how well this pg is going and that you have a bpp and nst every week from 32 weeks on. And you should be hyper alert to kick counts etc in the third trimester. I go every week to check fluid levels and make sure the baby is still growing starting at 32 weeks and before that every two weeks.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• I am so so sorry for your loss. It is unimaginable the pain you had to endure. I would for sure assume you are high risk this time around...and you will be monitored closely by whichever OB you decided to see. Did you talk to your current OB on what her plan would be this time around? See if it would change? You should go to whomever you are comfortable with.

You were asking if it was an accident with no one really at fault..in most cases I would say yes. OB's won't do routine scans on people to check for amniotic fluid loss unless you are reporting something to them(symptoms) that are suspicious...and it sounds like everything was normal/healthy until it wasn't. Now however, you have a history and I would think you will be getting several scans and checks.

I wish you a very healthy/successful pregnancy!!
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  I don't have experience with this, but I will say that I have switched OBS 4 times in my last pregnancy until I found a practice I loved - and I have not regretted it, especially now that I am high risk.  Best wishes for a happy and healthy 9 months. 
  • Good on you for requesting a new OB - you know what's best for you and your baby.

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only begin to imagine how deep you had to dig to survive that. You will be such a strong mother.

• I may have misunderstood your op but it sounds as if you still have many questions about what happened to your DD...why don't you discuss this with your doctor, the information should be in your chart, it may help ease your mind or at least give you an idea was to how you will proceed with your current pregnancy. I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine.
  • Hi, I just recently lost my son. I went to the Birthing center two days before I was supposed to get induced bc I didn’t feel any movement . When I got there , they couldn’t find a heart beat. When they checked my fluid levels, they were 1.7. Anything below 5 is abnormal. I received the pathology report back and it stated I had a small placenta and it was calcifying (aging placenta)? Typically with that , the placenta doesn’t function properly therefore does not regenerate the fluid.
  • Im so sorry to hear that. Did you notice that your son was moving less leading up to that day? 
  • sthuynh said:
    Hi, I just recently lost my son. I went to the Birthing center two days before I was supposed to get induced bc I didn’t feel any movement . When I got there , they couldn’t find a heart beat. When they checked my fluid levels, they were 1.7. Anything below 5 is abnormal. I received the pathology report back and it stated I had a small placenta and it was calcifying (aging placenta)? Typically with that , the placenta doesn’t function properly therefore does not regenerate the fluid.
    Hello. First to OP I cannot imagine and hope I never have to understand. I see a ton of good advice here. Be vocal, never worry about speaking up for what you feel is important or makes you uncomfortable because it's your baby's life, not the doctor's. I wish you were able to enjoy your little girl right now. 

Second, sthuyn, I had a stage III calcified placenta with my first, decelerations noticed at 30 weeks, and he was IUGR so they did C-section at 36 after a failed induction. It was so scary to see the OBs nervous, bc it was touch and go for a little bit. I hate that your sweet baby passed, that sucks so bad.