December 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth diapering mama's

How is it going for you?

LO is 15 days old and we are loving our CD's. I am officially a prefold and cover convert. Most of our NB stash is made up of prefolds or workhorse's paired with Thirsties XS or disana wool. I definitely prefer the wool, and I think DD does as well. Diaper cover and pants in one! I'm also surprised how easy a snappi is- I thought it was going to be a lot tougher.

If you're cloth diapering, what have you found as current favorites/ least favorites etc.?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

TTC since 2008
Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
 6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

Re: Cloth diapering mama's

• Options
    We are going to try the flip system. I bought one cover and 3 inserts to try it out but with the holidays haven't had a chance. Flip cd's seem super simple though. Only 15 for a cover and 15 for 3 inserts. We also picked up some disposable inserts for travel.
  • Options
    My mom made our diaper covers. I really love them :) We're using prefolds and covers too. Super easy. My husband hasn't tried them yet though. I've got to get him on board.
    My MIL bought a crap ton of Honest brand newborn diapers and we've been trying to use them up though. I can't wait until we run out of them honestly! :P
    I LOVE the cloth wipes, and have been using those even though we have a bunch of disposable ones. They stay warmer out of the wipe warmer, and he doesn't seem to get as upset when we use those. My baby has a little yeast infection on his bum, and I think they're much gentler for him.

https://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Reusable-Flannel-Wipes-Natural/dp/B006J2U4T0
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is 12 days old and we are on our second day of prefolds with snappis and Thirsties covers. We too were using up NB disposables that were given to us. DH is on board with CD but hesitate yet to do it himself as he just got the hang of the disposables. Although we will be washing more I am looking forward to less trash and hopefully saving some money.
  • Options
    We started coding when we got home from the hospital but use sposies out of the house. We have nb ones to use up as well.

I agree about the cloth wipes! Nicer and less chance of getting poop smeared on my hands lol.

@SarahMarie1‌ - I have 2 flip covers in my one size stash but haven't tried them yet (dd was 7lb11oz today). Let me know how they work out for you!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

imageimage
  • Options
    Our LO is 6 days old we've been trying to use up nb sposies that were gifted to us then we're using nb sized BG AIO and a few nb baby kawaii pockets. The BGs scratch her legs a little from the Velcro but otherwise we're loving them. Tried a few OS pockets on her (RAR and fb) but they're clearly too big still with the leg holes gaping open.

I also have been loving the flannel wipes - which surprised me I thought I would miss the the moistened disposable wipes but I think the flannel gets her much cleaner.

I would have loved to try prefolds but DH was so against them I promised him not to :/ they sound like they fit nb really well.

GL to everyone else trying cloth for the first time - so far so good and all the people that told me it would be too much work are wrong :)

Also sorry for novel- over excited FTM here

December Siggy: Free for all!
    image imageimage

EDD: 12/12/14

Expected completion of dissertation: ?

• Options
    I can't seem to get the angel wing fold on right- I've been using jelly roll and liking it so far! We have one sweet pea cover and do love it as well. When she was teeny (6lb4oz at discharge) it fit really well!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    We have been cloth diapering for about 10 days now with our 3 week old. I love it. She goes they so many diapers a day I don't feel like we are just wasting money by changing her so often!

We are loving the prefolds with thirsties xs aplix covers. We do mostly the jelly roll fold. We also use some thirsties duo wrap size 1 covers but they are a little bulky but I'm sure will be nice as she keeps growing.

We also use cloth wipes and just wet them with a spray bottle. I have a wipe warmer but just haven't set it up yet, but might have to open it up today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    CDing is the one thing that is going easy so far! We started at the birth center and DD is now 8 days old. We use mainly fitteds and wool with a few prefolds/PUL covers thrown in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't do prefolds with DS because I was nervous it would be hard, but bit the bullet and got some this time, definitely a convert!  I've only done the bikini twist because I like how it's more narrow in the crotch.  Using mainly Thirsties Duo size 1s and Thirsties XS for covers, I had picked up 3 newborn Rumparooz covers in some cute girly patterns but have been super disappointed in them  The velcro is super stiff and the cover overall just too bulky.

The BG XS AIOs I had leftover from DS are nice and trim, but she's already outgrown them in terms of absorbency so I only use them now if I know I can change her withing 60-90 minutes otherwise we have leaks.  I do like my BG XS bamboo fitteds though.  They've long since been discontinued but I had them from DS and glad I saved them. 

My all time fave NB diaper though?  The Swaddlebees NB AIO.  It's amazing and if we have a 3rd I'd sell off my BG AIOs and pick up a few more of these.  It was the first of my cloth to fit DD who weighed 5 lbs 10 ounces when we left the hospital and still fits great on the smallest setting 5 weeks later so I know there's plenty of room to grow.  Wish they weren't so expensive!
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options
    Maybe try some Grandma El's diaper cream- it's CD safe. Or, since you are using the fleece liners use some Beaurdeux Butt Paste (not CD safe but fleece liners will take care of that!). I hope your LO is feeling better soon!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    megbmegmegbmeg member
    edited December 2014
    @bunattack we are using CJ's butter and really like it. It's CD safe. LO hasn't had a rash but she was getting red and the CJs worked. We like the stick version.
    (ETA: we also tried the grovia Magic stick and it didn't seem to help)

LO turned out to be huge (8.5 lbs out birth and now at least 10), so her NB stash never fit. Whoops. We're on to her one-size stash and still figuring out which we like best. So far we really like the soft bums because they're trim and easy. We're also using some bum genius and other pocket diapers, and a few all in twos.

We still haven't figured out a wash and stuff pockets routine yet so we are supplementing with disposables for now.
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• Options
    lexijack said:

Does anyone formula feed? How well do you need to clean off the poop before sticking it in the diaper pail? I recently started supplementing with formula. This morning, she made this monster poop after not going for 2 days. I used the diaper sprayer for the first time today and wasn't sure how much of the poop I had to spray off. Do you spray the wipes too?

I formula feed and don't spray. Just toss from wet bag to washing machine. I don't have any issues with staining etc at all. Her poop is not liquidy, but more like a clay facial mask consistency most times (eww sorry, lol). Im pretty sure you don't *need* to spray/dunk &hawkish etc until babe is eating solid foods.
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    Also, I use cloth wipes for myself as well and don't spray them either.
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    We started cloth about 2 days after getting home. I could not stand the poop blowouts in disposables. We only had one poop blowout in cloth. It was out the leg hole of a BG AIO when his legs were really skinny.

We are doing mostly prefolds and covers. My favorite are the GMD. I like those during the day and fitteds or AIOs at night when I am too tired to try to fold. The only AIO I really like is the Blueberry Simplex Newborn. My Lil Joeys and Grovia always leak and BG does sometimes.

I love CJs BUTTer. Every time his butt was a bit red I put that on and it cleared it right up. Now I put it on at every change. It makes wiping off the poop so much easier!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    pinklepoppinklepop member
    edited January 2015
    How are you guys folding your prefolds? I set the prefold down flat, then set him on it, then fold the two front ends toward each other and bring them up and secure the back ends to the front with a snappi. Is that pretty standard? I've been noticing the legs have some gaps, so I'm not sure if I could fold it a better way.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Options
    I've been using jelly roll on my girl and haven't had any leaks :)
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    With the angel wings fold, I had poop on the cover by the legs somewhat frequently. Never out of the cover but it was a pain because I need to reuse my covers. With the jelly roll fold, it never leaves the diaper. It is definitely much more of a challenge to do the jelly roll when LO is wiggling and kicking his legs!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

LO officially grew out of her newborn sposies and is trying her first CD today. We were given all BG AIO's and I'm praying they work like magic. It looks like most are doing prefolds at this stage so I hope I'm not skipping a step. I love the way they fit her and they are too stinking adorable if nothing else!

I hope they work out for you!! I will encourage you to change her super often! I'm actually destash ing the 2 BG NB aio I have bc LO has outgrown the absorbency. I do loooove the fit of them though so I am bummed!!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    We are using up some sposies given to us and waiting for my MIL to finish the covers... though I am starting to get impatient and am considering ordering some covers. Glad it is going well for you all though!!
  • Options
    We can't use ours yet. We skipped NB diapers because he was going to be a big baby, and he was 8 lbs but hes the smallest 8 lb'er EVER. Even newborn clothing swallows him!
  • Options
    Wet just started using ours today actually LO is one week old. We have a mix if BG aio, workhorses and prefolds with rumparooz covers. I seers sine flannel drinkers for the BG because I was told they outgrow absorbancy fast, and have been using those since I have them. They are just four layers of flannel sewed together and absorb a lot! LO is 7lbs 2oz as of Wednesday(was 6lb14oz at birth) and still has a way to go before our OS stash will fit him.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Finding the cloth leaks at night. I've been using disposables. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a different type of diaper besides prefold ?
  • Options
    pinklepop said:

Finding the cloth leaks at night. I've been using disposables. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a different type of diaper besides prefold ?

Might need a boost in absorbency? If the prefold is totally soaked maybe add a doubler- we add a hemp insert to our workhorses sometimes and it helps.

And be sure the legs of your cover are nice and snug!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    Cyingling1Cyingling1 member
    edited January 2015
    pinklepop said:

I was having a lot of leaks at night. Lately I have been using newborn Blueberry simplex at night. They are AIOs but have a pocket so I add a hemp insert. It's been working so far!

Edit: typo
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"