Parenting
Options

Confusion with moving, RE a preschool aged child

Hi all- hope everyone had a great New Year!

DD and I moved on Friday.  We had been staying with my mom because STBXH and I decided to divorce about 6 months ago (it's still not final, but it's close).  He moved out right away, but stayed local.  I have an extremely strained relationship with my mother so my goal was to get out of there as soon as it was feasible, so I did.

The problem is that while DD is old enough (she will be 3 in a few weeks if you are on mobile) to know she's not at "her house" (my mom's house) she's not able to understand that where we are now is her new house.  She cried inconsolably for a half hour last night because she wanted to "go home".

I know I did the right thing- I need to have my own space, I have to start rebuilding but I am drained, wiped out and feeling guilty.

FWIW-- our new place is only about 5 miles from my mom's house, and my mom will still be watching her 2 days a week (she's in DC 3 days a week.  I work FT).  We kept the same daycare (something I was concious of when finding a new place to live)

I guess what I am asking is aside from the divorce stuff, if you have moved with an older toddler / preschooler, how long did it take for your LO to get used to the idea that the new place was permanent? 

TL:DR- I moved and my almost 3 YO is not taking it well.  Any advice on adjusting?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

Re: Confusion with moving, RE a preschool aged child

• Options
    Spin313Spin313 member
    edited January 2015
    DS was a couple months shy of four when we moved to our new house. For the first two weeks, he talked a lot about going "home" and that he missed the old house. Even though he helped pack up all his toys and they were all set up in the new playroom, he kept saying he wanted to go back to his stuff in the old basement playroom.

After that, he was mostly fine, but every once in a while out of the blue he'd mention the old house. Now, at six, he says he doesn't remember that house.

• Options

My kids, 4 and 2, have moved a lot. I was most concerned about this move we did 2 months ago. The thing that helped the most was decorating the kids rooms. I got vinyl wall decals off of amazon and a couple other small touches but my DD, especially, loved it. She was very excited to show off her new room and I let her facetime her grandparents to show them. Maybe try and let her pick out a couple things and make a big deal about it.

It also just sounds like she is reacting to all the change. I would let her know that if she misses your mom she can let you know and you can call her or setup an extra visit. Maybe even schedule a big reveal of her new room for Grandma? I found that the stress of changes comes out at random times for a few months, but overall they seem to move on relatively quickly.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We moved a few months before DS1 turned 3 (and i was pregnant).It has been 15 months and he still talks about the old house and the old daycare on occasion.

He had a rough time for a few months, but with a new house, school and baby, it was a lot to take in. Dh's cousin bought our old house, so we have taken him back there and down him that his old room is now someone else's. It does get easier after a while. And you did the right thing for your family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That is a lot of change for a 3 year old in a short period of time.

We moved from the only home our (then) 3 year old knew.  He did not express any loss over leaving the old house but clearly was uncomfortable in the new home for a while as we used to find him sleeping on the floor outside our bedroom door several nights a week. 

I would say first off, give it time.  Let her express her sense of loss and truly listen to what she says.  She's likely grieving the change in family arrangements rather than the change in address.

I'd then do my best to reassure her that she is safe and secure and that sometimes things change.  A new house is just one of those things.  I'm sure she will adjust quickly.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    We did an out of state move when dd1 was 2 years old. It had it's challenges for sure. We moved from our own beautiful home to a wreck of a rental but it was a corporate move and there was not a lot I could do. 
    Being in a rental was not the problem it was the spiders and mice that had taken up residence in this home.
    I joined a local mom's group and got really involved in our neighborhood. I got dd out meeting people as soon as I could. I decorated her room the same way that she had it before. The move seemed to be ok for her. I am just now recovering. 
    Sorry you are going through so much right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"