February 2015 Moms
Options

Congested chest and fever

not sure what else to do to feel better and be able to breath easily :(( it's feels like I have the flue .... Any help please

Re: Congested chest and fever

• Options
    I was sick a week before x-mas - slight fever/sore throat/head/nose/chest congestion. Dr wasn't too concerned - lots of sleep & rest!! Call your dr for suggestions on what to take - not going to lie, it SUCKED not being able to take your regular go to meds! It will pass
  • Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor ASAP (especially before you take any medications).

I was feeling pretty congested (nasal & throat) and my doctor said it would be fine for me to take a decongestant (Mucanex D) and an antihistamine (Loratidine 10mg). It helped clear up some of the congestion (not all of it) but it's definitely more manageable. I also started to sleep with a humidifier next to me and that helped as well. 

I hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call your dr. If it's the flu they can test you to confirm and start antivirals.
  • Options
    It wouldn't hurt to take Tylenol, Mucinex-D, or Benadryl, depending on your symptoms, but definitely call the doctor tomorrow morning! If it's the flu you will need to get on Tamiflu ASAP! Hope you fell better soon!
  • Options
    Thanks you ladies
  • Options
    I'm right there with you, woke up with it today. Mucinex d not dm is okay to take and regular Tylenol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Did you call your doctor? The flu is really bad this year and it is always dangerous for pregnant women. I hope you get in to be seen or get some advice from them.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely check with your doc. I use breathe right strips at night. They help me sleep due to congestion. I've also been using a humidifier.
  • Options
    I use a humidifier and a neti pot.  But call your Dr and hope you feel better soon!
  • Options

If anyone has incompetent or short cervix or is at risk of pre-term delivery they should NOT take a mucolytic such as mucinex. Just because your OB has said something is safe for YOU does not mean it is OK in all cases.

OP if you have a fever (temp 100.4 or greater) you need to speak to an OB ASAP because your baby is on average at least 1 degree hotter (not good), more importantly if you do have some kind of infection that carries a lot of risks.

Everyone else recommending medications, seriously?

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options

If anyone has incompetent or short cervix or is at risk of pre-term delivery they should NOT take a mucolytic such as mucinex. Just because your OB has said something is safe for YOU does not mean it is OK in all cases.

OP if you have a fever (temp 100.4 or greater) you need to speak to an OB ASAP because your baby is on average at least 1 degree hotter (not good), more importantly if you do have some kind of infection that carries a lot of risks.

Everyone else recommending medications, seriously?

Where did you hear that? I don't recall hearing about that while I was getting my doctorate of pharmacy.

@zooey1‌ How are you feeling? Did you get a hold of your OB today?
  • Options

As a lurker who was checking on one of my bump buddies this thread caught my eye because I am completely congested and I was hoping for a magic cure. Alas, that wasn't here, but...

IC sufferer here and in two pregnancies I was never told about mucinex being bad. And I 100% know I took it at my MFM's behest because I double checked with my pharmacist BFF to make sure it was totally safe.  There's one specific ingredient that I was told to watch for in some forms of mucinex (or maybe it was the cough medicine??), but that was for anyone pregnant and had nothing to do with IC.  @sunshine525 are you really a pharmacist? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Standard TB disclaimer: Everyone is different, follow your doctor's advice, etc etc.
    I only play a pharmacist in real life. ;)
    You shouldn't take Mucinex-PE or any other med that has phenylepherine in it while pregnant.
    I'm also having congestion issues right now, and I don't like taking any meds while pregnant, so I've been diffusing essential oils. Right now I have RC and peppermint going. I also love eucalyptus drops in the shower!
  • Options
    PikoPikoPikoPiko member
    edited January 2015
    Why do people always come to a forum to ask vague questions like that instead of asking the doc? Is there a fee for calling the doc or something?

I caught the flu and called the doc after hours on saturday. I was feeling extremely weak and it wasn't like they were going to block my number for future calling, got nothing to lose by calling. By the time I rolled into the hospital, I had a fever going at 101F, dehydrated despite chugging 5L of water that day/night and somehow my body was under so much stress that it decided to start contractions at 3-5 mins apart with a lot of pain. Other people have commented they were just fine with the flu, I obviously was not. Use your own judgement on what you should do to find relief, and if you lack that ability, call the doctor. No one can give you real advice but your doctor, they're accountable for their recommendations, a random board of internet strangers are not accountable for shit.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    zooey1 how are you feeling today? Hopefully you talked to your doc and they were able to diagnose you and provide you with some relief. Being sick on top of the lovely side affects of being pregnant is torture. Sometimes I look over at my DH and wonder with jealousy why it is that men get off so easily when it comes to this whole procreation thing. 

I also agree with the women above that suggested not taking any medication before you talk to your doctor. I think it's fine when someone wants to share what worked for them (maybe you can ask your doctor about it), but each person's health situation is different and what is okay for some people may not be okay for others. 

I hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    I have a bad, lingering cold. My MF said just rest and lots of water is all I can do. Of course, everyone should listen to their own care provider as they know you and your pregnancy!

I found using a Neti pot with saline solution helped a ton. Also, breathing in the steam from a bowl of hot water with a few drops of pepperment oil helped temporarily clear the nose (good before bed). I also cut down on dairy, making sure to get calcium from other sources.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all the advices. I had to go to ER but they could really do anything , they said I have to rest , drink water and try to eat (chicken soup ) . I'm feeling a little bit better now . :)
  • Options
    For the congestion I would suggest sitting in the bathroom with a steamy hot shower running. Its not a permanent fix but it does help a little.

Feel better!

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"