Military Families

Benefits for new child?

Hi hi, so I just found out I'm pregnant a month or so ago, my boyfriend is in the Navy. We've thrown around the idea of getting married (we were planning on it eventually anyways, just not so soon). Main concern right now is financials. I have a great job, but since he's stationed 90 minutes away from me, I plan on quitting eventually and moving in with him. We've both decided that we want for me to not work at least for the first year of our child's life. However, this is going to put a huge strain on our financials, with him being paid at a single rate. How much would it benefit us to get married so he could claim me and our baby? How would we go about getting benefits for our child if we didn't marry? I think I read somewhere he'd either have to sign something verifying it was his or get a paternity test. I know we both want to get married, I just don't know if I can process being a wife and mother in the same year lol. Then again, we'll be living together anyways, so I guess I'll be a wife either way. Gaaaah confused.
Pregnancy Ticker
 DD #1 born 8/3/2015

Re: Benefits for new child?

• Lurking....
    I used to be in the Navy, I just got out this past June. His actual base pay won't be affected at all if you two were to get married, however if he's not currently receiving BAH he would he then receive married BAH. If you don't get married his pay will remain the same as is until baby is born and until baby is added into DEERS system, which is how baby will get insurance benefits and your boyfriend's pay will go up at that time as well since he'll have a dependent. As far as signing anything I'm not exactly sure, but I know he'll need the proof of live birth letter to enroll baby into DEERS. Definitely have him go talk to someone in MILPERS and they'll point him in the right direction. GL and congratulations!
  • His base pay will not go up, only his housing allowance. How much depends on his rank. You can look up the BAH rates for his rank without dependents (what he's getting now, or what he would be getting if he lived off-base) and with dependents (what he will get when he has a dependent and lives off-base). You do not have to get married to get dependent-rate BAH. Once the baby is born, the baby will be a dependent and your BF will qualify for dependent-rate BAH. However, if you live on base, he will not get BAH and therefore you won't see any extra money.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys!
    Pregnancy Ticker
     DD #1 born 8/3/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"