Adoption
Options

Announcement

We are almost done with a dossier for an international adoption and we have not yet told many family or friends about us adopting. How would you?, or how have you announced that to family, co-workers and friends?  We are currently debating how to tell people and also at what point to make that announcement. 
One at a time, cards, facebook, mass email etc?  Very new to this!! Yikes!

Re: Announcement

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Great idea AlaskaDee!
    I can completely relate to wanting to do something in place of announcing a pregnancy.

Similar to a pregnancy, we have only told friends and close family members at this time.  When we told my parents, we slipped a picture of our adoption books with a small shirt into our vacation photos and it was fun to be there in person and explain and answer LOTS of questions.  As for everyone else, we are doing DIA, so I think we will do things a little differently.  My family friend just announced on facebook with a photoshoot using a globe and this quote from pinterest.

"Even miracles take a little time"

• Options
    Oops- here's the quote

WE are expecting a second child!

Instead of Doctor’s forms, we have been filling out government forms.

Instead of ultrasounds, we have received sweet pictures of our baby.

Instead of traveling to the hospital, we will be traveling to (country).

Instead of growing in our bellies He is going to be growing in our HEARTS!

WE ARE ADOPTING!!!

"Even miracles take a little time"

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Co-workers: I had quick meetings with those I was closest with, did a larger informal announcement with the rest.

Family already knew the deal.

Friends got a note about it in our Christmas letter.

• Options
    I absolutely loved to hear all your ideas!! The quote was fabulous Wish Upon a Star:)!!  AlaskaDee that is exactly right!!  It is great to treat it like a regular pregnancy.  They are just growing in our hearts:)

• Options
    TheaterPal, that is super cute!!  Were in the process were all of you when you announced?  
  • Options

we adopted our son from Korea, and we announced it in our Christmas cards one year!! we had a couple pictures of him that we got with his referral information... so we did a Christmas card that had a picture of DH and I, and then one of DS's referral pictures. and we said " Merry Christmas! Love, (my name), (DHs name) and our son, (name) waiting for us in Korea!!"  We also put in a letter explaining a little bit more- EX when we expected to travel to bring him home, how old he was, etc.

now obviously, we gave our parents and my sister their cards in person and told them... but everybody else thought it was a neat way to announce :-)

and as far as on Facebook.... we didn't announce until we were in Korea and had him. Our hotel there had WiFi- so we took a cute "selfie" of the 3 of us and I posted it with something like "It took 18 months and a trip around the world to get this picture.... introducing our son (name) born in South Korea on (birthday) and in our arms (date).

• Options
    Miss1180, I love that!! I think we will input that on this years christmas cards as well:).  I can't wait:)
  • Options
    I am super excited about this! If I can keep my big mouth shut (which I need on advice how to do that) I want to wait to tell anyone aside from family and bf that we were chosen. I then want to do a gif with a pic of my current fam facing forwards then a photo of us from behind, then back around with the baby! For some reason I think it will be great to just have a baby out of nowhere from other's perspective 
  • Options
    @wish upon a star, that is awesome!! Congratulations!! Priceless looks on those faces:). What an awesome christmas gift to you and to your family.
  • Options
    @Rachel I really don't think I could keep that to myself too long 8-} Congrats!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"