Food Allergy

Intro and food labeling question

Hey, fellow allergy parents. I have an 18 month old daughter with milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, and sesame allergies (and dogs, but we don't interact with dogs so okay). She was diagnosed at 9 months and has had two more rounds of testing since. Her peanut and egg levels were very high - borderline abnormal - so obviously this causes some anxiety in me and the mister. None of her levels have dropped at all with time, unfortunately. We have six sets of epi pens.

Anyway - I was wondering how you guys handle foods that say "may contain traces of____" or "processed in a facility that also processes ___" are these off limits to your child? The allergist didn't really have an answer for me. 

I'm sure this has been asked before - I tried the search function but no luck (not even close to the right topics, actually - I must be doing it wrong). Thanks for any input.

Re: Intro and food labeling question

• We only deal with peanut allergy so take this for what it's worth considering it might be alot easier to be so strict with one allergen...(esp nut) but I do not allow anything that has a warning of any kind.  The type of warning doesn't matter to me as those are not mandated so they can mean different things.  However, I generally do take labels at face value since we deal with a top 8 allergen (meaning must be labeled by law)...so if there's no warning or peanut ingredient, she can eat it.

You would need to be more careful of the sesame considering it's not top 8 in the US so it doesn't have to be called out on the label.
  • My 15 month old has a dairy, beef & white potato allergies.. We stay away from may contain traces of or manufactured on machines that also processes..but only because he had a reaction to foods with those warnings. I think it depends on the severity of the allergy
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• Loading the player...
  • I guess because she has severe allergies - the answer is to stay away. I've avoided it so far but I have a cereal with a "traces of" warning I've been wanting to share with her, but I won't. 

Sesame is an annoying one - there is sesame in really random things! 
  • I'm surprised your allergist wouldn't give you an answer on this. My DD is severely allergic to peanuts/tree nuts and we don't allow anything that says "may contain" or is processed on shared equipment/in a shared facility.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"