Working Moms

Do you have a nanny camera?

Re: Do you have a nanny camera?

• Nope.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Nope.
    I'm not against them; I just don't have one.  I trust my nanny.  If I didn't maybe I'd look into a NannyCam.
    TBH, I really don't see how they'd be all that useful.  Our house is big, I'd have to wire the whole damn thing for it to be of any use and I really don't have time to monitor that much footage.  I guess I could strategically place one, say, looking at the couch from the TV to see if she's watching TV?

• Loading the player...
  • No.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We have always gone to centers cause we feel there are more eyes. We've been to a center where a teacher was slapping the hands and biting the ears of a couple of toddlers (it was in our local news, center was put on probation, new director cleaned house). Only reason it was known about is because another teacher witnessed it.

We aren't getting a spot at a center so we are having to get someone in our home.

• No. I feel that even young kids can show if something is "off".
  • Yes and I watch here and there through out the day. I like to know what's going on. Trust but verify. Plus I like to see them in action during the day bc I miss my babies.
    BFP#1 10/17/11, m/c due to SCH 11/21/11 @ 8w4d; BFP#2 2/26/12, baby girl arrived 11/1/12; BFP#3 12/3/13, EDD: 8/18/14.

• No.  I don't have an issue with it, but it never occurred to me to get one. 
  • glaw said:

Yes and I watch here and there through out the day. I like to know what's going on. Trust but verify. Plus I like to see them in action during the day bc I miss my babies.

Trust but verify really resonates with me. But - may I ask - where do you put it that you can watch? In your nursery? In the family room? I like the idea of being able to get a sneak peek of the wee (though our nanny sends pictures) but I don't think I could reasonably cover my house.

Then- do you tell her? And if so isn't it then easy to skirt the view of the camera (I love how I went right to crazy psycho nanny here) ...

I am legit interested in the logistics of how this works.
  • Our daycare has one. I mostly use it to see if LO is awake or napping so I don't waste my time visiting at lunch time (it's an on site daycare)

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I've been contemplating getting one when I go back to work. Not to spy on the nanny but because I'd wanna see what my baby was doing. Perhaps FaceTime can fulfill my desire
  • Trust goes both ways. You should absolutely tell your nanny if you use a camera.
  • Cook251 said:
    I thought it was illegal to have cameras & be videoing someone without their knowledge.

My husband is in law enforcement, he says it is not in the state we live.

I know if the intent is malicious / violates certain privacies, you can be arrested but that is different than what I am looking to do. I would have no issues telling them there was a camera. We have a wall mount camera in our living room (it is for video monitoring on the alarm system and came with the house).

• Cook251 said:

Trust goes both ways. You should absolutely tell your nanny if you use a camera.

I thought it was illegal to have cameras & be videoing someone without their knowledge.
    Varies by state and local laws.
  • I don't know why you wouldn't tell them. You want to catch them out or do you want them to understand you're going to be able to check when/if you want to know what's going on? And I feel like if you have a nanny for a while, they will eventually find out, and that truly would be a creepy/awful feeling.
     I can see not feeling the need to have cameras once a nanny has been with me a while and we know each other, but at first you cant really know that person. But I don't have a nanny so it's all theoretical of course. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• KayteeGee said:

glaw said:

Yes and I watch here and there through out the day. I like to know what's going on. Trust but verify. Plus I like to see them in action during the day bc I miss my babies.

Trust but verify really resonates with me. But - may I ask - where do you put it that you can watch? In your nursery? In the family room? I like the idea of being able to get a sneak peek of the wee (though our nanny sends pictures) but I don't think I could reasonably cover my house.

Then- do you tell her? And if so isn't it then easy to skirt the view of the camera (I love how I went right to crazy psycho nanny here) ...

I am legit interested in the logistics of how this works.
    I have 3 cameras. One in the living room that pans between the dining and kitchen areas too. I have one in the play room. One in my daughters room. And I will be adding one in my sons. They are cheap. $60/each bought off amazon. The foscam brand. No monthly fees and although there is a recording option I don't do that. I can view it thru an app on my phone.

I have never openly discussed it with my nanny but they are not hidden cameras. There are more rooms in m house that are not covered and my nanny takes my kids to the park so obviously it doesn't cover everything. But I mostly use it bc I like to see what's going on. I like to know when my kids are sleeping, eating, etc... It's easier than calling and checking in with the nanny which is distracting to her in my opinion. Also sometimes my nanny forgets exactly when my kid napped or ate and I can know by checking on the camera. It also makes me not open the garage and park outside if my kid is asleep. So those are the reasons I use it.

Also if I see something I don't like I don't hesitate to bring it up. Like at the very beginning she had my daughter on a bouncy on the countertop. She was right there in front of her but I didn't like it and called her right away and asked her not to do it.

Also we sometimes have a babysitter who is not my nanny and I like to check in then too.

Those are my reasons and how we use it. It's not for everyone and it's not gonna be 100% effective at catching smthg bad or preventing abuse but it's just another tool to help, like checking references or running a background check.
    BFP#1 10/17/11, m/c due to SCH 11/21/11 @ 8w4d; BFP#2 2/26/12, baby girl arrived 11/1/12; BFP#3 12/3/13, EDD: 8/18/14.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"