1st Trimester
Options

Did everyone take prenatal vitamins before they were pregnant??

I received a BFP on Christmas Eve and freaked out!! I went to my first doctor's appt today and couldn't believe there was actually a heartbeat. I'm already 6 weeks along and had no idea. As I was leaving today, the front desk gave me 6 different prenatal vitamins to try. Like I really have any idea of what I should be taking! I started to read up on them, and you're supposed to be taking prenatal vitamins months before you get pregnant! I am so afraid now of birth defects that already develop by 6 weeks without folic acid supplements, etc. my mom died when I was young, and I'm really lost. Is there still a huge possibility that I will have a perfectly healthy child? I plan for everything and this was completely unplanned. Is there genetic testing that would detect any/most issues?

Re: Did everyone take prenatal vitamins before they were pregnant??

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I meant to because, like you, I heard that you should start taking prenatals at least 3 months before you start TTC and we wanted to start in January. Then I got pregnant by surprise in October and I found out only two weeks after I started taking prenatals.

Don't stress! Many women don't start taking prenatals until they find out they are pregnant and they go on to have perfectly healthy babies. There IS genetic testing, but honestly if God forbid your baby does have any health issues it will be really unlikely that it happened because you started prenatals late.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Really don't stress out. Many women don't start taking them before realizing they are pregnant. Now you know, just start taking them. Congrats!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You'll be fine. I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 5 weeks and we weren't trying so I wasn't taking them. Also at the last check up the dr scared me as she said the prenatal vitamins I've been taking for 3 months were not high enough in Folic acid, Iodine or Iron! However, I checked again with my ob and she said she wouldn't have had me on any supplements apart from vitamin D as all my bloods came back with more than adequate amounts of what is required. So I guess supplements aren't required by everyone anyway
  • Options
    This time I was not taking anything until the day I got my BFP. I was taking some supplements that I love that are full of 38 herbs and nutrient-rich superfoods and have multiple servings of fruits and vegetables in every serving so I hope I got some good stuff from them there. I'm also pretty convinced this supplement is what helped my cycles get normal so I could know my O date so easily. I just take Walgreens or Target generic PNVs now though.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    What about the women who weren't trying to get pregnant? If you're tying then yes taking prenatal a would be beneficial. Honestly prenatal vitamins aren't as much for the baby as they are for you. The baby gets everything it needs from you, and sometimes they take a little too much. Which is why we need the prenatal vitamins to supplement the extra being used. Lack of prenatal CARE could harm the baby, yes, but lack of prenatal vitamins... Not so much.
  • Options
    My OB suggests that women of child bearing age take prenatal instead of regular multivitamins regardless of whether they're TTC because they have all of the same things in them plus a lityle extra. So I was taking them for about 4 years before getting pregnant, and I'll continue taking them until menopause probably. I just get the Target brand generic ones, nothing fancy.

That said many women don't start until they're already pregnant and it's completely fine. Don't stress.
  • Options
    I only took them before I was pregnant (literally the day after we decided to start TTC) because I had no idea what the fuck I was doing, I Googled a lot (before I found The Bump), and read about taking them early.

But, as PP's said, don't freak out. My aunt didn't know she was pregnant with my cousin until she was 5 months along. During that time she smoked (I don't recommend), drank (I don't recommend), and most definitely did not take any prenatals. He turned out just fine.
    together since '03 / married since '14 / started TTC Dec '14 / Holy shit! BFP 12/28/14!
    Sept '15 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Don't worry about it. Just start taking the prenatals now. You'll have plenty of opportunties throughout your pregnancy to make sure the baby is developing properly. This includes your NT scan, anatomy scan, and genetic testing (if necessary). 

Congratulations on your BFP!

*edited for spelling
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats! Don't freak! I get the target brand gummy PNV. I've been taking them for years.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Congrats! Don't freak! I get the target brand gummy PNV. I've been taking them for years.
    ...they make a gummy one?! I have the Target brand PNV in pill form. HOW DID I MISS THIS?
    together since '03 / married since '14 / started TTC Dec '14 / Holy shit! BFP 12/28/14!
  • Options
    DorkyMama said:

...they make a gummy one?! I have the Target brand PNV in pill form. HOW DID I MISS THIS?

They do-- but they are a bitch to find in-store. Online ordering FTW.
    https://m.target.com/p/up-up-prenatal-gummy-multivitamins-90-count/-/A-13579345

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I had been taking prenatals for about a year since getting pregnant because that's what my PrimaryDr. recommended since he knew we going to start trying after our wedding. He said it was better to take before hand, so I did. My OB said if my MS is really bad that I can skip the vitamin to help settle my stomach. I think all drs are different but either way as long as you start when you find out you will be fine.
  • Options
    You are amazing, @PrimRoseMama‌! Thanks!
  • Options
    Many foods (like breads and cereals) have folic acid and iron added to them as a leftover from when much of the population did not have well-rounded diets. Yes, get on your PNVs now, but don't freak out. If you've been eating fairly decently (not just Cheetos and Pop Tarts and the like), you're likely fine.

PNVs, because of the amount of iron paired with your slowing digestion, can cause constipation or hard stool. Fun! I cut my tablet in half, so I have half in the morning and half in the evening. It helps. Gummies are more belly friendly, but you'll need a separate iron supplement (all the ones I've seen do not have iron, but some might) or just make sure you're getting enough iron in your diet. I also looked at the ingredients to make sure there weren't any artificial dyes included. Maybe I'm granola, but it seems unnecessary.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Amen to Target gummy vitamins! I saw my Doctor this summer and talked about going off the pill later in the year. She gave great advice I'll pass alon: when you discontinue your daily birth control pills, just replace that habit with taking PNV. So yes I've been taking them since October, BFP on 12/25... but you're fine! Just keep it up moving forward :) Congrats!
  • Options
    Thank you for asking this!
    We've been TTC but I just couldn't take the PNV's, they made me so nauseous! The OB I saw to confirm gave me some tips for avoiding the nausea, but I've been feeling guilty about not taking them until now.
    If anyone else gets nauseous, try taking them right before bed, so you sleep through it. Have a few crackers or some kind of snack first to prime your stomach.
    She also said I could just take two or three of the kids' multivitamins--like the gummies! They have the same things as what we need, just in smaller doses.

• Options
    I understand her stressing.  I am exactly 6 weeks today and I will be stressing until the end of the 1st trimester.  I have secondary infertility (DOR - diminished ovarian reserve, which means I don't have many eggs left and the ones I do create usually do not get big enough to be mature enough to release from the follicle.  My  husband and I have been trying for 3.5 years.  Got our Christmas miracle a week before Christmas.  I had a miscarriage 14 years ago prior to my son who is now 13.  So, I am really nervous about this pregnancy.  I'm glad woman show they are nervous, it shows they are not taking the pregnancy for granted, that its a blessing and that anything can happen at any time.  I pray all you ladies have successful pregnancies! I use Vitafol Ultra with DHA, keeps the nausea away. I also take one baby aspirin a day and vitamin d. 

Secondary Infertility 38 years old (husband has no children)
    TTC since we got married 6/18/11
    Diagnosed with DOR - AMH 0.8

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

Changed RE's September 2014
    IUI #3 December
    2014 - BFP-My Lil Blessing!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Eeew, I hate taking them. With food and a full glass of water minimum and I lose my dinner before bed. I'm trying different kinds, but man this is starting to feel like more of a punishment pill.
    **Paraguard removed 10/30** **BFP 11/29** Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DorkyMama said:

You are amazing, @PrimRoseMama‌! Thanks!

I try-- don't tell anyone though. I've got a rep to uphold as a heartless crusher of newbie dreams. ;)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    My OB had me on prenatal vitamins once I turned 25. So I have been on them for a while. I also take the gummies from target or you can also get them at the grocery store. They are the best and sometimes if you need something just a little sweet after dinner pop two of those! Not sure I could stomach them if they weren't gummies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"