June 2015 Moms
Options

NPR: Broadway attire?

Since my hubby surprised me with a trip to NYC for Jan.1-4, I wasn't prepared with something to wear to a Broadway show. We haven't been there so I'm assuming the attire is black tie, but wanted to get opinions. What is best to wear to a Broadway show at night?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: NPR: Broadway attire?

• Options
    Can't offer any advice since I've never been, but that sounds like an awesome trip! I'm jealous, have fun!
    TTC #1 June 2014
    BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

BFP-10/25/14, EDD-6/23/15 7/6/15
  • Options
    You can make it as dressy as you want!! I say have fun with it. One of my factories Broadway outfits I did on last year's trip was a simple blouse, dressy shorts, black tights, ankle booties and a fun fur coat on top. You definitely don't have to wear a gown or anything like that but I would steer clear of jeans. Enjoy the Big Apple!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *favorite, not factories. :)
  • Options
    Not black tie at AL unless that's what you want it to be. When we went this summer I worse a maxi sun dress, and brought a cardigan because I get cold. DH wore nicer dark jeans, nice shoes and a button down

Married 11/12/2011
    EDD 06/07/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I went to Broadway once in NYC on our pre-TTGP big trip July this year. I wore a simple classic evening dress but kept the hair and makeup simple. Most people there dressed nicely. Most men were in collars and ladies in skirts and dresses. But there were some people in casual clothes too. I would recommend nice evening wear but no need to go the full black tie. what are you seeing? How exciting! 

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Options
    People wear everything to Broadway.  You will see people in jeans and people dressed to the nines.  I tell you this so you don't worry too much about being over or under dressed.

Personally, as a show of respect to the actors I always step it up a notch.  Anything you would wear to a nice dinner. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    However dressy you want. I usually do a nice skirt with a cute top
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I always dress up when I go- but not black tie. You'll see people there in everything from jeans (which I don't think is appropriate) to dresses and suits. I think what PP said about what you would wear out to a nice dinner is perfectly appropriate
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! So a nice sweater dress with nice shoes and tights would be okay? We are seeing Wicked, @leenziepops‌.
    OMG! You are going to love it! I saw Wicked here in Melbourne and it was such a treat. The songs are great. You are going to have the best time. And yes, that outfit sounds lovely! 

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Options
    Wicked is freaking awesome!!!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Firstly wicked is my most favorite Broadway show of all time so I am SO excited for you.

Growing up here in New York I have been to TONS of Broadway shows. As PP have said you will see people dressed in jeans and then you will see people dressed in suits. I have worn jeans with a nice blouse and pumps and I have worn dresses. It really is what your most comfortable in. I can guarantee whatever you choose, there will be someone similarly dressed. So relax and enjoy!!!
  • Options
    Oh and I forgot one thing. People underestimate the amount of walking you'll do in New York City. Wear comfortable shoes no matter what you do. If I wear pumps sometimes I'll slip flats into my bag because you will literally be miserable trying to walk in heels. I have also been stupid before and had to stop at a corner stand to buy ballet flats. Trust me comfort is key when you're running around nyc. I hope you have an amazing time. If you're looking for places for dinner let me know I can try to give you some ideas. Have the best time ever. There's nowhere like New York City.
  • Options
    Absolutely. As a performer we see everything from flip flops to gowns. In the middle is respectful but not over the top and you will still feel like its a night out for you. As a first time mama, I say be comfortable too, so you can enjoy the performance!!
  • Options

Same as @momtobe613. Exact same thing. DH and I are about 40 minutes out of the city, so we go down occasionally to shows and such. You will see people wearing the spectrum of clothes to a Broadway show. If it's an event for you, go ahead and dress it up a little bit, but I would avoid black tie if you want to blend. And definitely wear comfortable shoes. 

It's a little cold here right now, and the wind tunnels in the city can be fierce, so expect wind chill. 

Avoid Times Square on Jan 1st. It may be mostly cleared out, but it will still be a mess. Not exactly how we like to present ourselves to OOTs.
    uh oh...we are staying in Times Square. We will be arriving around noon. Is it going to be crazy still or still just messy? I can handle messy. ;)

• Options
    Have fun at Wicked!! It's a great show. I think the outfit you described sounds perfect. You could feel uncomfortable in black tie, since many people will be more casual. 

Have a great trip!!
    Pregnancy Ticker  image
  • Options
    Don't forget to check out the Times Square Toys R' Us! And I've been to the city a few times in the winter and the cold can be downright shocking, but I have worn tights on every trip with a warm coat and it was perfectly fine. Enjoy Wicked, it's tons of fun :). And don't forget a hat and gloves.
  • Options

Avoid Times Square on Jan 1st. It may be mostly cleared out, but it will still be a mess. Not exactly how we like to present ourselves to OOTs.
    This made me smile because of how different Time Square is now than it was when I was a kid.  Even at its worse today it's not like it was back then!  Then again, I grew up not being allowed to set foot inside the Bowery, and now there's a Whole Foods there!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm getting even more excited than I was when hubby surprised me on Christmas Day! Can't wait!!!

• Options
    I just went Sunday and seen broadway disney beauty and the beast. And then February I have tickets for wicked. You can wear anything dressy. Dress pants or dress. Just something nice. In February instead of a dress this time I am going to purchase a pair of black maternity dress pants and a nice sweater.

baby development
  • Options
    We had the best time visiting NY. Sad to be leaving tomorrow. You all were right... Wicked was amazing!!!! We also visited all the main sites...spent a lot of time today at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. It was amazing and so emotional. :)

• Options
    So glad you had a fantastic trip!  I adore Wicked, but also wanted to throw another of my favorites out there... have you seen Andrew Lloyd Weber's version of Wizard of Oz?  The effects were really neat and the music was a great blend of the traditional Oz music with new stuff woven in too!
    June 2015 Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"