June 2015 Moms
Options

Stretch Mark Product Recommendations??

I just started my second trimester and I'm using BioOil twice a day.  I like that it's not too oily/greasy, but it is pretty expensive.  Any other product recommendations?  

P.S. If you believe stretch marks are genetic/below the skin/I'm just doomed and there's no point in products, no need to comment, this isn't the board for you :)
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Stretch Mark Product Recommendations??

• Options
    I heard cocoa butter works great, but I haven't tried it myself yet. Thanks for the question, I'll be keeping an eye on the comments! :)

*~Happily Married to my Best Friend!~* 
    TTC #1 since 2012, no luck! 
    4 Rounds of Clomid @ 100mg +Preseed, BFP November 2013!
     MMC January 2014 @ 11w2d
    Laparoscopy/Dye Test August 2014 showed blocked fallopian tubes - both cleared! :D
    BFP September 2014!

It's a BOY! And I'm one happy mom <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know staying hydrated helps a lot with skin moisture!
  • Options
    Water drinking, hydrating food eating and I use Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Stretch Oil along with Almond Oil.
  • Options
    Didnt use a damn thing with either of my 1st two pgs, not a single tiger stripe here! But have friends who swear by coco butter.
  • Options
    I used nothing, gained 55lbs, most of that in the third tri and got 0 strech marks. My friend gained 13 lbs and used bio oil, cocobutter, etc multiple times a day and she looks like she was attacked by a pride of lions. Do what you want but nothing external will change your outcome. Not smoking, drinking lots of fluids and gaining weight at a regular pace can reduce your strech marks.

If you have the money spend it on whatever you want! Or save it all and get lazer therapy ASAP after the baby is born if you end up with strech marks that bother you. Lazer therapy is most effective while they are still red/purple.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh. If it really is genetic, I'm screwed. This is NOT what I needed to read right now. Welp, I'm probably still going to keep my belly moisturized and try not to scratch it as it grows. Btw, has anyone tried Stretchy? It's a stretch mark cream that Tia and Tamera Mowry created. I can't find reviews or where to buy it anywhere, but I'm super interested in checking it out.

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    Sorry, not going to lie - it's genetics. I've been getting stretch marks since I was a teen (yay weight fluctuations!) so I pretty much know what to expect.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I had every pregnancy stretch mark lotion/oil given to me...

But.....Me being me I used it maybe five times the whole pregnancy and I got zero stretch marks. The lotions may help hydrate but will not prevent stretch marks!
  • Options
    I use my normal moisturisers but do rub around my belly and hips a little more. I like to think regular exercise and good hydration will help maintain healthy looking skin.
    I think all those special pregnancy lotions are marketing scams.

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• Options
    Coconut oil- amazing!
  • Options
    Can't give you a suggestion on what to use but DON'T try the mama mio tummy butter. It's insanely expensive and didn't do a dang thing for me. BUT then again it's in my genetics. Luckily it's in my genetics to have them fade significantly as well. If anything I'd say drink lots of water and use a good unscented moisturizer to keep from having an itchy belly which is no fun! (Fragrances burned my itchy belly skin)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's genetic. You either get them, or you don't. But, if you do get them... Maderma worked wonders for me! It's like, $40 per large tube. You put it on twice per day (if I remember right) for several weeks. My marks are barely noticeable now. Just bumpy :)
  • Options
    I do think it's genetic but from personal experience I think there are products out there that can help diminish the dark purple look and make your stretch marks less noticeable.

I tried Bio Oil and I was allergic so that wasn't helpful. Some things I tried and really liked: Mederma, the stretch mark cream from ItWorks, cocobutter, and of course time!

The real trick is keeping hydrated, and when you use whatever lotion you use really massage it in. Don't just put it on like you would your hands you really have to rub and massage it in.

That's what helped me. Good luck and remember even if you get them, you are beautiful and you are growing an amazing little baby in there!! It took me a while but I finally embraced my stretch marks and I'm loving my body!!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Although I can't speak from first-hand experience, as this is my first pregnancy, I did work on a leading skin care brand and in the beauty industry and have to vouch with the genetic side.  Stretch marks fall in the same camp as wrinkles, bags/dark circles under your eyes, cellulite, etc., - your skin's elasticity is genetic :( Unfortunately, there will be no miracle product that will overpower those genes, BUT, you can modestly mitigate the effects by hydrating/moisturizing (both by drinking plenty of water and using a high moisturizing/high penetrating product); won't work miracles, but in theory will help.  For example, had a friend who used a stretch mark cream during her first pregnancy; she got stretch marks but they weren't severe...second baby, she gained less weight but skipped the cream and her stretch marks were much more severe; in both cases she got stretch marks, but without any moisturizing, they were significantly worse.  Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Sorry another vote for genetics. Not a single stretch mark with first 2 babies and didn't use anything. My mum also didn't get when pregnant with us.
  • Options
    I've been using L'occitane's almond oil and Nivea Extended Moisture. I love the combination, it is super hydrating and smells really nice. However, stretch marks are definitely determined by genetics.
  • Options
    I have horrible stretch marks on my hips from growth spurts when I was younger.
    I was nervous with my first pregnancy bc I assumed I would also get them pretty bad on my belly. I went to my dermatologist for suggestions. And I was told: Use any cream you like that contains Vitamin E. It will help reduce the appearance of the stretch marks. However, there is NOTHING you can do to prevent them, as the are 100% genetic.
    That being said, I gained a whopping (not proud) 75 lbs with that baby and not a single stretch mark on my belly.
    Ps... This pregnancy I'm less focused on stetch marks and more focused on not eating donuts for four :)
  • Options
    I have stretch marks from weight flucuations through out the years, so I'm pretty positive I will be getting them in this pregnancy especially with twins. I am using the coco butter/bio oil concoction. Not because I think it's going to produce some miracle but because it makes me feel good. After reading most of the posts it looks like you either get them or your don't, but if you want to do something that makes you feel good along the way I say do it! I wouldn't say spend an obscene amount of money though.
  • Options
    With my son I used coco butter an bio oil an had stretch on my butt by 20 weeks. That's when I switched to coconut oil. I use it every day. It's oily for sure but it works. I get it at SAMs club in a big tub. I also was reading how eating 3 tablespoons a day will help produce better milk for your child. It is also a natural laxative. Which I will most like do after this one is born.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @dearestdreamcometrue‌ as a licensed professional with a degree in esthetics I will absolutely tell you that the majority of this issue is genetic! I would've been less inclined to throw that at you so harshly had you not decided to claim that people with opposing opinions (especially educated opinions?) that this "isn't the board for them", but that was really obnoxious. "I reject your (educated) reality and substitute my own!" Says OP. Bullshit. Sorry, but if you ask a question you will get real answers, especially due to your choice of words and desire to control responses on a public forum. So, that said. Genetics play a HUGE part. You CAN help by keeping your skin as hydrated as possible, from the inside even more importantly, as well as using good lotions to keep your skin pliable. As I said, I am a professional, licensed over 15 years ago now, and during my first pregnancy I did ALL of the right things topically and nutritionally, and still I received a lovely set of tiger claw marks up and down my belly. I completely support lotions (with good ingredients--read your labels ladies, or go natural with Vit E and coconut oil/olive oil/walnut oil) and good nutrition, lots of water drinking. But the simple truth is, you still may end up with stretch marks! ETA: paragraphs don't seem to like my iPad :(
  • Options
    I'm also of the genetic camp and believe there isn't too much you can do to prevent them if they run in your family.  However, I've been using Burt's Bees Belly Butter because it feels nice and is soothing (plus, I got it as an Xmas gift).  I figure that there's nothing wrong with moisturizing my skin that's expanding (mostly chest, belly, and hips) throughout the pregnancy, but I'm not counting on it to eliminate stretch marks either.
     FTM - EDD 6/26/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @asutherl‌ there is also the genetic mix of both parents to consider, plus the recsessive/dominance dance our DNA plays out with our traits, too, so it's not a definite that if your mother got them, you will get them, or vice versa. I definitely know that good skin care and nutrition are certainly helpful and will relieve some of the damage. People who take good care of themselves can go a long way in mitigating the effects of aging and trauma to the skin in the way that hydration helps the elasticity and tone of the skin. Dehydrated skin will break down much faster, and the elastin will give and break easier, but if you have genetics on your side, all the better! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate! And then hydrate some more lol. (My DH and family get so sick of hearing me ask them how much water they've drank each day!) omega 3s and healthy fats are excellent, and a good, clean moisturizer with vitamin E (by clean I mean no harsh chemicals or alcohols) will give you the best chance of coming out unscathed, or at least minimizing the look and appearance of the marks after the fact and over time. :)
  • Options
    Very Genetic! I got them really bad my first pregnancy. The second time they were already there just a little faded. No amount of creams or lotions worked for me, my grandmother my mother and my sister all have stretch marks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"