July 2015 Moms
Options

cloth diapers

emilyo15emilyo15 member
edited December 2014 in July 2015 Moms
Hello I am very interested intern trying cd. I have been looking and pricing. Is there a brand that is better then the other? This is my first child expected July 10th all of the baby supplies are so overwhelming. I would love any advice. Thanks

Re: cloth diapers

• Options
    You really won't know what works best for you until LO is here but, I recommend trying a variety - not just one type or brand. Some CD websites will let you try diapers and you can return them for credit if you don't like them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I recommend trying Kawaii pockets if you're on a budget. They worked really well for us.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Prefolds and covers will be the most cost effective. However, different brands work best for different babies. DD could never wear bum genius without leaking, but I know some babies who can't fit in rumparooz (our preferred pocket).
    Try out a little of everything, buy seconds, or see if you can find a company that loans different types. You'll figure out real quick which ones work and which do not. :)

• Options
    emilyo15emilyo15 member
    edited December 2014
    Where is this diaper forum? I am just starting to explore the bump website. I feel like I might be in over my head right now.
  • Options
    Beware of Charlie Banana. I've washed them exactly the same as my Bum Genius, and they haven't held up well at all. Like everyone has said, different things work for different families and different kids.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Under "community" there should be a tab for bump boards or specialty boards. There is one called cloth diapering.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Sites like Jillians drawers have trials that you can sign up for once baby is here.  That way you can try a bunch of things and figure out what you like. 

My little goofball born 1/2012
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We cd. Agree with pp of buying a variety to see what works before getting a stash. We love BG and fuzzibuns. Feel free to ask me anything- before I got the hang of cd the other board was overwhelming :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Definitely watch the Cloth Diapering 101 series on YouTube. That really helped me figure out what all the different types looked like, and helped convince DH that cloth wouldn't be a big deal!
  • Options
    I've been slightly considering cloth diapering as well, but baby will be in daycare.  Have any of you run into issues with daycare not cooperating with cloth diapers?  I feel like they'd be annoyed and I don't want to be "that" parent.  
    Married July 19, 2014.
    Inherited one stepson, so excited to continue our family!
    BFP#1: June 15, 2014. MC June 20, 2014.
    BFP#2: July 11, 2014. MMC July 27, 2014. Naturally passed tissue August 5, 2014.
    BFP#3: October 29, 2014.
    EDD: July 8, 2015 *Stick baby stick!*
    imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I've been slightly considering cloth diapering as well, but baby will be in daycare.  Have any of you run into issues with daycare not cooperating with cloth diapers?  I feel like they'd be annoyed and I don't want to be "that" parent.  

I just ask upfront when I tour the center. Some daycares do have a disposble only policy. However if they say they accept cloth diapers I don't see how they can be annoyed if a parent actually asks them to use cloth diapers.
    Of the three daycares I have toured so far, only one said they accept cloth diapers. The other two are disposable only.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I just ask upfront when I tour the center. Some daycares do have a disposble only policy. However if they say they accept cloth diapers I don't see how they can be annoyed if a parent actually asks them to use cloth diapers.
    Of the three daycares I have toured so far, only one said they accept cloth diapers. The other two are disposable only.
    Good to know! I don't live in a small town so I feel as though I'll run into problems with it, but no harm in asking! Thanks!
    Married July 19, 2014.
    Inherited one stepson, so excited to continue our family!
    BFP#1: June 15, 2014. MC June 20, 2014.
    BFP#2: July 11, 2014. MMC July 27, 2014. Naturally passed tissue August 5, 2014.
    BFP#3: October 29, 2014.
    EDD: July 8, 2015 *Stick baby stick!*
    imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I will use cloth diapers - specifically bumgenius one size & newborns. I used them for years as a nanny and then used them with my roommate's kid as well. I know they aren't for everyone but I love them! I bought most of my stash from craigslist - people buy them and then don't actually use them, so I've gotten some great deals on what are basically brand new diapers. I do recommend a newborn stash as the one size ones usually dont fit until baby is about 10-11lbs.
  • Options

We cd. Agree with pp of buying a variety to see what works before getting a stash. We love BG and fuzzibuns. Feel free to ask me anything- before I got the hang of cd the other board was overwhelming :)
    I might ask you questions too, if that's ok. I've been following/participating in the CD board and am finding it overwhelming too. I thought at first I wanted AIO and pockets, but after watching a few videos lastnight, I think I might like hybrids (flips). Would you recommend just buying a couple of a few types at first? Do you do cloth wipes as well?
    I jump in and out of the CD board, but feel free to ask me questions too!  I've never tried hybrids with disposable inserts (mostly because I was trying to avoid buying more diaper stuff all the time).  I did have some Flip covers that worked fine for awhile, but then I didn't like that they don't have the double leg gussets like other covers (keeps poop in better).  A lot of people love Flips though!

We started with 24 newborn prefolds and 5 covers - that lasted for 8-9 weeks no problem.  Then I had a a few diapers of multiple brands of pockets (BG, rumparooz, oh katy, kawaii, blueberry, fuzzibunz).  Tried them all for awhile, and then sold what I didn't like so I could buy more of what I DID like.  That's the great thing about cloth - trial and error is fine, and you can sell what doesn't work for you and baby (and make a lot of your money back).

Nicki's Diapers also does a trial that a lot of people like, so look into that!

We do use cloth wipes - we just bought a few packs of cheap wash cloths and they've been going strong for 2+ years.  Cloth wipes are easy and you don't have to have one can for "trash" and one can for diapers in baby's room - everything gets thrown in together.
  • Options
    We initially lived in a city with about 60,000 people (when DD was born).  Out of the 7 daycares we were on waiting lists for, only one said no to CD's.  And they said "it's against state regulations" - which obviously it wasn't if the other 6 were saying yes... they clearly just didn't want to deal with it.

Then we moved to a city with about 250,000 people and both daycares we looked at were fine with CD's.  Sometimes we have to do a little extra side training with instructions about putting them on tight enough, but otherwise it hasn't been a big deal at all.
  • Options
    All this information is so great. I have been looking at the different brands and website you all have listed. I do have another question. For thr pocket diapers. I leaning that way. How do I know what inserts will fit the kawaii diapers or other diapers. I see bumgenus have inserts with there name. I am finding a hard time finding inserts that Mach every brand of diaper. Is there a way to know they will fit the pocket diaper? I also see different material cotton, hymph, microfiber is any one of these better?
  • Options
    I know my bumgenius came with two inserts, I assume most diapers do come with their own insert? However, my old roommate had fuzzi buns, bgs & Charlie bananas and she put whatever insert was handy in each diaper. You can add extra inserts or doublers if your baby is a heavy wetter or for overnight. I've heard good things about hemp for overnight, but its mostly just preference and what works for your baby.
  • Options
    We used bumgenius, and we loved them. I do recommend going with disposable diapers for the first few weeks, especially with the meconium. It was just too much work when I still wasn't 100%. This time we are buying one box of newborn disposable and go with cloth after.
  • Options
    How many cloth diapers do I need?
  • Options
    We wash every other day. We have about 24 for a two year old. We went through more in a day when he was smaller. I had 30-35 in rotation then, again washing every other day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"