July 2015 Moms
Options

Is Anyone Finding Out the Sex but Not Telling?

The name post got me thinking, I get the idea of not sharing names.  Too many opinions, now you are more locked in, etc.  But is anyone planning to find out the sex, but not share that until baby is born?  And if so, why?

I know of one person who did this IRL.  It was a lady in my moms' group.  Her and her husband found out they were having a girl, but did not share with anyone, went as far as to pretend they did not know either.  When the baby was born it was a boy, the u/s tech had been wrong!  Their whole family said it served them right for keeping it a secret!  I would be curious to know why you wouldn't tell anyone?

Re: Is Anyone Finding Out the Sex but Not Telling?

• Options
    sschwegesschwege member
    edited December 2014
    Oh yeah, no, definitely just curiosity on my part.   We were Team Green with our first two and will be this time around as well :) Plus our family/friends only do showers for the first baby, so no shower for us!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm team green but when I told my MIL that we weren't finding out the sex, she was actually mad/upset! It was a mix of "how could you" and "no way, I know you will end up finding out." Her smugness alone made me want to find out and just not tell her!! Now I'm over it, but that was the only time I considered finding out and keeping it a secret. I agree with PP, something about it is a little off to me.
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    I don't really get finding out and keeping it a secret. No one else really cares about it as much as you do so it's an odd thing to not share.

We'll be team green this time as well. I don't think neutral clothes are that hard to find. Gerber and Carter's both have a decent selection of neutral onesies and sleepers and that's all you need at the beginning.
  • Options
    I have a friend that did this. There were a few clues... The bedding "could" work for a boy or girl, but was really more feminine. And she agreed to the boys name that her husband picked which was HORRIBLE (it was 6 years ago so I can't remember the name now).

We were out one night and she was really pg (9 month-ish) talking about everything. And my sister (who doesn't know her well) said "you know" based off of what she was saying. She admitted it, but made us promise not to say anything b/c her husband didn't want to know and she found out on her own. Yep, her husband didn't know she knew. And we knew.

It was so odd.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• Options
    We decided to do a gender reveal the weekend after the ultrasound. We can find out with our family and friends. Think we'll do some fun guessing games and cake pops to reveal the gender. As far as names go, we decided on a boy name but still up in the air on girl names. We will wait til birth to announce names
  • Options
    I considered a reveal party, but my parents are on the fence of deciding if they would like to know the sex or not. I respect their decision. We are keeping the name a secret though.
  • Options
    I am doing a gender reveal before baby gets here, but I will not know what the gender is before the reveal. My best friend is going to be given the sex and then throw me the party where me and the father and everyone else attending will find out in some clever creative way. We know that the theme is going to be "what the duck is it?" And that's about it. I couldn't keep the sex underwear from myself or others until birth I would go crazy! Also only asking for diapers, gift cards, and children's book at reveal. My first baby is 6 months, so we still have everything we need for baby number 2. I am 13 weeks 5 days as of now.
  • Options
    Underwraps!!!!***** not underwear... oi. Lol
  • Options
    Ugh. My SIL and BIL found out the sex, and didn't tell anyone but told us all they knew. It was so annoying.
  • Options
    Also only asking for diapers, gift cards, and children's book at reveal. My first baby is 6 months, so we still have everything we need for baby number 2. I am 13 weeks 5 days as of now.
    ::quote snip:: These events are so AWish to begin with, but buy me more stuff because my other LO is six months old, so I need all my friends and family to replenish my stock??!! I can't even imagine the tacky that would be on those invitations.
    Do people ask for gifts at reveals? I've never been to one like that!
    This is the first I've ever heard of people actually asking for gifts.  My understanding is that they are non-gift giving affairs, true sometimes people may bring something small, but typically they are hosted by the parents, so should never involve gifts.

I've never actually been to or known anyone who has had one IRL though, so my knowledge is limited to what I have seen on here.
  • Options
    We are going to keep it a secret for a while. Until we have a gender reveal party / baby shower. We are doing more of a gender reveal party since this is #2 and we don't really need anything for this baby that we don't already have. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to keep it a secret!! My mom and sister can't wait to find out!
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    edited January 2015
    We have considered finding out the sex and not telling anyone until the baby is born.  I'm awful at keeping secrets, so we probably won't, but I don't think it's mean or anything.  So much of what is chosen for babies and children is so gendered that if I can hold that off for my LO, just a little bit, then I don't see that it affects anyone else.  Instead, when ppl ask, we'll tell them we're aiming for gender neutral stuff, and hope for the best.

It is not a tradition where I'm from to have a reveal party.  If someone did have one and I'd already been to their shower, I probably wouldn't attend.  It seems like double-dipping.  And tbh, there's only so much baby stuff that I can stand at a time.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Basically I know my family and friends will get me things anyway, so yes I decided to dictate because I feel I won't need anything. I am also building a children's book collection since mine were so carelessly tossed out by a family member. So I ask for children's books not greeting cards. Diapers for a diaper raffle, and gift cards instead of merchandise. I'm also not going to know the gender myself. God you people are judgy.
  • Options
    ohkayohkay member
    edited January 2015

I am doing a gender reveal before baby gets here, but I will not know what the gender is before the reveal. My best friend is going to be given the sex and then throw me the party where me and the father and everyone else attending will find out in some clever creative way. We know that the theme is going to be "what the duck is it?" And that's about it. I couldn't keep the sex underwear from myself or others until birth I would go crazy! Also only asking for diapers, gift cards, and children's book at reveal. My first baby is 6 months, so we still have everything we need for baby number 2. I am 13 weeks 5 days as of now.

Do people usually bring gifts to gender reveals? I've only been to one. The couple received a cute outfit from the hostess, but that was it. Just curious because I am also having a gender reveal, but would prefer no gifts.

ETA: I read a few responses. I'm gathering presents are not the norm.
  • Options
    I have never heard of a gender reveal party until I joined this site...I don't think they are a thing here.

Anyway, I haven't decided what we will do, but I can see the argument for not telling other people the sex. I really hate how gendered baby items are....all pink and frills for girls and all blue trucks and stuff for boys. Humans have their whole life to be painted into a box based on their genitals, it would be nice to avoid that for a little while!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Basically I know my family and friends will get me things anyway, so yes I decided to dictate because I feel I won't need anything. I am also building a children's book collection since mine were so carelessly tossed out by a family member. So I ask for children's books not greeting cards. Diapers for a diaper raffle, and gift cards instead of merchandise. I'm also not going to know the gender myself. God you people are judgy.
    @ChelseyBreanna22 we are not being judgy, simply saying to you what at least some of your friends and family will most likely be saying behind your back.  It is not OK to dictate what people buy for you.  You feel you don't 'need' anything, well that's good because friends and family should not be responsible for providing for your children! 

There was a post on the third tri where the girl was complaining about the sprinkle she hosted for herself.  Basically she invited 40 people and only 1 person showed.  Why do you think only one person showed?  Maybe because everyone was judging the hell out of her, but similar to your nearest and dearest they wouldn't say it to her face, so they just didn't show up.  Here's the link: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12502085/baby-shower-2nd-boy-any-thoughts/p1 

You claim you don't need anything, then what are the gift cards for?  Also you are 'only' asking for a book, gift card and diapers.  Well that is going to add up quick for guests.  Let's say someone spends $5 on a book, $10 on a gift card and $10 on diapers, here they are at $25 and I'm being conservative here!  You are fooling yourself if you believe people are going to be excited about this.
  • Options
    We do gender reveals for the family. We invite my parents, the ILs, DHs siblings, and my sister. That's it. No gifts, just food prepared by myself and my mother, and then we watch a fun movie afterwards. It's just for fun. 

Seriously. GIFTS at a reveal? I hope someone tells you to your face how AWish and selfish that is. 
    That's a really cute way to do it. If our family lived close, I probably would have done it this way so we could tell everyone at once, in a fun but casual way.
    July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options
    Did I say buy me a book? I don't believe I did. I'm deleting this site you are all brutish opinionated jerks. All I've seen on this site is a lot of negativity from "know it alls" I didn't tell you how to do your parties or reveals or tell you are dumb if you think this or that. I have more class than that. I'm out.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    This will be the first baby in my family as I am the oldest and they're just as excited as I am to find out. I have a younger sister and brother in their teens so of course they fight over it my sister wants a girl my brother wants a boy. I will probably just

Edited bc I'm trigger happy and can't spell.
  • Options
    Sorry hit the button kinda quick.

Play a game to reveal it with my parents and then just to make it fun for them but no big reveal and of course I wouldn't expect any gifts
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Did I say buy me a book? I don't believe I did. I'm deleting this site you are all brutish opinionated jerks. All I've seen on this site is a lot of negativity from "know it alls" I didn't tell you how to do your parties or reveals or tell you are dumb if you think this or that. I have more class than that. I'm out.

See, we all know this isn't true based on your gift grabby gender reveal plans! Good luck with that.
    -----------QBF------------------------------
    @sassycassieb‌ you are the wisest of the wise. LOL at OP telling us she has too much class for The Bump but not enough class to know better than this "heinous" <------- loved this too Cassie, tackfest.
    This signature is all for YOU. I'm on mobile and can't see crap.
    MMC EDD: 1/5/2015  D&C: 5/31/14
    MC    EDD: 4/21/15 Lost: 8/24/14
    BFP for my Rainbow!! 11/6/14
    EDD: 7/20/15

• Options
    I think we are planning on revealing the gender at the baby shower. My husband and I wont know until then what were having. I know someone said it was tacky to do this since one of my main reasons is so I get more practical gifts as opposed to all cute boy or girl cloths. This is easy for me to say now, but waiting until June to find out what we are having might drive me nuts.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think I would be too excited to not tell someone!
  • Options
    In England we don't tend to have 'gender reveal' parties and baby showers are only now picking up. Me
    and my partner are finding out the sex and we were just going to call people after! However, both our families have asked to be told at the same time so I will do every one dinner and tell them then, I'll be mortified if anyone brings me a present though!
  • Options
    Also, not to be controversial but the few baby showers I've been to I've chosen something off a list to buy for the baby, I thought it was quite a practical approach! :))
  • Options
    We are finding out but not sharing only for 4-6 weeks. Our anatomy scan will likely be in the beginning of February and we will find out then. But all of our family lives 1200 miles away from us. We want to make it special and reveal it to our parents/siblings (the only people who give a hoot) together. We have a tripped planned about a month later so we won't tell in that time and then make it public after we share it with out parents.
  • Options
    hhunt1234 said:
    Also, not to be controversial but the few baby showers I've been to I've chosen something off a list to buy for the baby, I thought it was quite a practical approach! :))
    I think registries are great and I typically buy at least some items off the registry.  But a registry is a list of suggested items not demands and therein lies the difference.  Dictating (to use a word from pp) that guests buy a book instead of a card, diapers for a diaper raffle and a gift card, is rude.  Making a registry of suggested items and pointing a person in that direction if they should inquire are two totally different things :)
  • Options
    #ByeFelicia !

Oh, and FYI, folks who actually have class don't really talk about how much they do or don't have.  They just show it in their actions.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We are doing this. We are telling my parents and part of our siblings but that's it. This is our third baby so I feel I can decide to do what I want! We've told friends that we aren't finding out. We have one of each do its pretty easy for us to do. My child my knowledge. I say the heck with everyone who's doesn't like it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"