Third-Party Reproduction
Options

Can only unfreeze embryos 2 at a time?

Anyone ever heard of this? I never really looked into it because we've always transferred two. I'm considering a new RE for our final attempt. He suggested one at a time, but when I checked with the embryologist she said due to the way they are frozen, 2 would have to be unfrozen for my next FET. If I want to transfer only 1, that is fine, but the second would have to be discarded because it couldn't be refrozen. I always see folks debating one or two and had never heard of this before.....

DOR and AMA
2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
Follow up testing in September all clear;
Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
12/12- Officially an OB patient!
Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

Re: Can only unfreeze embryos 2 at a time?

• Options
    AmCheriAmCheri member
    edited January 2015
    We have also had this discussion. Our frosties are frozen two per straw. So, two must be thawed. I do not belive there's a way to extract only one for thaw. I wish I had known this at the time of our freeze-all cycle, because we would have requested that each of the frosties be frozen separately. Maybe there are options I'm not aware of -- hope so.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    You aren't with Ad.vanced Fert.ility in Gur.nee by any chance, are you?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

@am cheri- Unfortunately after talking to the embryologist, I don't think there are other options in this scenario.  Not everyone wants to transfer two, so I feel like they should give you a choice upfront.  Maybe this has something to do with cost from their end?  Not sure, but it was never mentioned to me until I asked to transfer only 1 at a time.  Live and learn, I guess.

I am currently with a small independent RE, but considering moving to FCI.  I called Advanced Fertility because of their good success rates with DE.  The person answering the phone there informed me that they would not accept my frosties from another clinic.  I'd have to start the process all over with another retrieval if I wanted to go with them.  Also interesting, and it took them off the table for us as we've made the decision to stop treatments (if no success) after all of our frosties have been transferred.

I remember you from when I had my DD (also in June 2013).  She is such a blessing.  Unfortunately TTC a sibling hasn't been so easy for us, but I am very grateful for what I do have!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Options
    That sounds about right - I think most clinics do freeze two together per straw. I'm sorry that puts you in a tough situation for when you TFAS.
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • Options
    @chicagobride_07‌, I remember you, too! Our daughter was born that June, too. We used AFCC for our DE cycle and then we did a second-freeze all cycle with the same donor shortly after getting pregnant with her. I'm sorry that AFCC won't work with you, but I completely understand you not wanting to start over. At this point, I couldn't even imagine that which is exactly why we did the freeze-all cycle.

With increasing interest in eSETs, I can't understand why two are frozen together. It seems they should tell you this up front. We didn't know either. Our daughter was an eSET, which itself disqualified us from any of the guarantee programs. We were planning another transfer this past October. When I asked about transferring one, I learned for the first time that two were frozen together.

So sorry that you're struggling. T&P's that you find success. Hugs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"