March 2015 Moms
Options

maternity leave, lost my job.

chelsieeful4chelsieeful4 member
edited December 2014 in March 2015 Moms
So after going to the doctors last Wednesday i was diagnosed with SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction) and it's extremely bad right now. My doctor recommended either very limited activity, or start maternity leave early. When I informed my boss she was stand offish about it then called me to inform me that since I'm going on maternity leave that I no longer have insurence, or a iob. That if I want to return after baby, I have to reapply for my position and if there is a spot open they might be able to hire me back... I was in shock... can they do that? We are a small company, for FMLA or our state OGLA doesn't apply since we have 20 people working, but I was told if you go on maternity leave they have to hold your position and keep you at the same pay rste... people have babies. I'm just confused and extremely stressed now because I was the main income since it's down season for my husband's construction work. What do I do? I'm beyond stressed and worried I'm gonna cause myself early labor! Help this monmy!

Answers

• Options
    I'm not protected by the fmla either, which means they aren't required to hold our positions for us. For your insurance you can go on cobra and pay for it yourself. It's scary getting pregnant while working for a small company. They have no legal obligation to make accommodations. Sorry.
  • Options
    DM718DM718 member
    edited December 2014
    I'm also at a company where FMLA does not apply, but if you were to start FMLA now, it seems likely that you may use it all up by time the baby is born.

I think your best bet is to try to work out accommodations that comply with doctor's orders.

ETA: I read your post to mean if you start maternity leave now, you lose your job... i realize now that you may already be jobless.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can you apply for unemployment since you were fired?
  • Options
    I'm so sorry I don't know anything about it, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you're going through this! You definitely don't need all that stress. I hope everything works out!
  • Options
    I don't qualify for FMLA either, as we don't have enough employees. I do, however, have access to short term disability. I was working with our COO on applying for that so not only is my job safe (my boss is awesome and I really don't have to worry about that aspect) but I'll also get paid something... not my full paycheck, but something is better than nothing.

Just one alternative option presented to me. Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 28 | SO: 28
    BFP: July 22, 2014 | EDD: March 28, 2015
    For Suzy and all M15 Loss Moms
  • Options
    You might be able to apply for medicaid now that you are jobless. Hope that helps a little.

And Apply for unemployment.
  • Options
    Jaxon.... 
  • Options
    I just wanted to provide some support and say I'm sorry you're facing this!! Hugs! Keep us posted on how you and baby are doing
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Even if it's a drive-by, someone might get some use out of the info provided. Whatevs.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 28 | SO: 28
    BFP: July 22, 2014 | EDD: March 28, 2015
    For Suzy and all M15 Loss Moms
  • Options
    MauiBliss said:
    mariahd43 said:
    I just wanted to provide some support and say I'm sorry you're facing this!! Hugs! Keep us posted on how you and baby are doing
    Don't worry, she hasn't read any of the responses to this thread, either. I'm sure your support will be well noted. 

I don't get why people do this? Why? Why?
    Why they don't come back? Or why people have to point it out like this?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    etoille said:

MauiBliss said:

mariahd43 said:

Don't worry, she hasn't read any of the responses to this thread, either. I'm sure your support will be well noted. 

I don't get why people do this? Why? Why?

Why they don't come back? Or why people have to point it out like this?

Pretty sure it was "why do people insist on coddling drive bys".

Didn't realize it was a drive by prior to posting that or there wouldn't have been any coddling. Thought it was someone truly needing our support.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Some times it tells me someone responded i go to check and it just ont let me. So who knows why they dont come back
  • Options
    I just read these cause it never showed up anyone responded. I appreciate everything everyone said and advice given. I just am still learning this App and it doesn't always tell you when people respond to these posts. After I post something I can't even bring it back up on this app to even read it, so my past ones even if people commented I can't find them to read them. It's not that I'm not wanting to read them, it's that I can't find them to read them half the time!
    Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    I am trying to read these but they don't always come up and the app won't show me ever when people comment on these. So I never know! I'm Truely sorry, and appreciate your response and apologize for not getting back sooner but I didn't know anyone read or responded cause it never told me and I couldn't open this to see it forever.
  • Options
    I was told yesterday that I don't have enough fmla to cover my butt while on leave. Fmla turns right to short term after baby is born. It's a mess. Hr is involved. I even dug through the handbook and found that they can't post my job while gone. It's all interesting. We will see considering I carry the Insurance for my family!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"