October 2014 Moms
Options

Temporary career move. Thoughts?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Temporary career move. Thoughts?

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited January 2015
    Hmm...clean dirty teeth all day for cash or keep searching for your dream job. Since it'd take 2 years to get your degree, why not spend that time searching for the job you'll love?

I am not the person to ask because teeth and bad breath and stuff freak me out. I would not do that.

I'm a SAHM, but one of my ideas down the road is to go back to school and do a 1-yr accelerated nursing program. I can take the specific courses required to sit for the IBCLC exam (for becoming an international board certified lactation consultant), and I'd get an RN. Plus I already have all the lactation support clinical hours done. So I essentially could become a nurse IBCLC in just over one year. Tempting, BUT I am hoping to stay home and homeschool my kids, so this idea is a long way off.

It would be a complete career change, because I studied philosophy in college/grad school and taught at a private high school before deciding to stay home with my kids.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited January 2015
    saldaz89 said:

No problem at all. This is all very helpful. What's also interesting is hearing about the different stories .
    I remember my lactation consultants and they were both the kindest people.
    I enjoyed working with them.
    How many years did you go to school to be a consultant?

I am not an LC, but I spent one year becoming accredited for volunteer lactation support. I take phone calls, emails, texts, and do home visits for mothers who need breastfeeding help. I also hold monthly and weekly meetings in my town. I attend annual conferences and do lots of reading to stay current on recommendations.

I don't share my credentials on TB because I like maintaining the freedom to comment as myself, not as the organization I represent. :) So if you're looking for a way to earn money, this isn't the way to go. If you love breastfeeding and think that this kind of volunteer work sounds fun and rewarding, that's different. Send me a PM. ;)

With a BA in architecture, you could work for the federal government, for contractors, or in any number of interesting areas. If you're looking for something fairly simple and quick, maybe becoming a real estate agent would be neat. Or consider watching another child in your home during the week. Sources of income are all around. Just have to look. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have a friend making a similar decision re: ultrasound tech.

I wouldn't do it, but my career and education are part of my identity. It will take you 2 years to acfually take any of the stress off you husband, during which time you will either be paying for your associates or taking out loans, both of which will likely add to your general stress level during the next 2 years. Then, if you don't like the role you may feel guilty not pursuing said career because you stressed your family for an additional 2 years to get that associates

Sit down are figure out what you ultimately want to do instead of pursuing a career as a stopgap because of stress that you're experiencing at the moment. If you really want to enter architecture, think about how your resume will appear with that shift to dental hygeine, especially if you never even used your degree prior to transitioning. I would look for something adjacent to or related to your degree.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    @Emerald27‌ my BA is in philosophy! Good times.

imageimageimage
  • Options

Where'd you go to school?

I know, right? So fun. And I thought I'd pay for that degree how?? ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    As someone who got a degree I wasn't passionate about and has a career that's fine, but doesn't really do it for me... Don't. There are tons of jobs you can get if money is all you're after. Personally I would reserve going back to school for something you really want to do.
  • Options
  • Options
    If money is your primary concern, I'd pick up something part-time while you search for a job in your field. It's always easier to find a job when you have a job. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Dallas Baptist University. It's a small liberal arts school in TX. I loved my program. It was all continental philosophy. Basically every course started with Plato. Ugh. I miss it!

Where were you at? I knew it wouldn't lead directly into a job but it was worth it just for what it did to me.

imageimageimage
  • Options

Emerald27 said:

Dallas Baptist University. It's a small liberal arts school in TX. I loved my program. It was all continental philosophy. Basically every course started with Plato. Ugh. I miss it!

Where were you at? I knew it wouldn't lead directly into a job but it was worth it just for what it did to me.
    I did my undergrad at CUA and a year of grad school at TTU. Dropped out because I wasn't enjoying my classes as much as I was loving teaching (I was a TA), I was pregnant, and I was offered a teaching position at a high school back home. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    @saldaz89‌ I doubt you're too unique having a degree you are less passionate about now that you've grown and developed interests as an adult. What we choose to major in at 18 doesn't necessarily remain our passion for our whole lives. Lots and lots of people go back to school...either to get a higher degree in their field or to change fields. 25 is NOT too old to change paths!
    imageimage
  • Options
    @saldaz89...lots of good advice from PP's.  Hang tight since it seems like you can and figure out what you really want to do.  I went to grad school at 25 because I thought I should.  I really excelled at study design and research methodology, but i didn't love it.  I got pregnant and never graduated.  I did everything but my thesis.  It was kind of a shame because I had a fellowship so I didn't even have to pay for it, but by the time I was getting around to contemplating finishing (5 years later), I had a toddler and a baby and wondered...for what?  A few years later I got my certificate as a personal trainer which has led to a lot of continuing ed and practice in a field that I love.  And few years after that, I started my own business doing it so that I didn't have to answer to anyone else and it's totally worked for me and my family.  So, take the time to see what moves you and what works for your family because it will change over time and it seems like your DH is cool with you taking it.  Also, LO will not be little very long, so soak it in while you can!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hecklethecklet member
    edited January 2015
    I am a dental hygienist and really enjoy what I do.
    That being said, it's not a field to go into if you aren't passionate about it. Yes, I make a decent living with pretty decent hours and benefits, but it would be pure hell and very monotonous if I didn't feel passionate about what I do.
    So, I'm just echoing what previous posters have stated. I'd recommend trying to go into a field that interests and excites you.
    Another thing to consider is need and demand for dental hygienists in your area. Where I live, the dental hygiene programs are highly competitive but the job market sucks.
    Good luck with your decision and feel free to Send me a message if you have more specific questions.
  • Options
    @saldaz89‌ as the wife of an architect, I have to say that you shouldn't pursue it unless you love it. As you must know from studio, hours are long and unless you find a niche, compensation is not great. Also, nowadays, a BA in architecture is not that valuable for a lucrative or high level career in architecture. My DH has a BA and an MA, which seems to be the norm unless you are older and an established member of the old boys club.

It would be very difficult to excel at an architecture job with a newborn and not get burnt out. Also, you mentioned that there aren't many jobs you have found...that is difficult since there definitely are hot spots for the field and even there, competition is high.

I wouldn't necessarily look into an interim career just because, but I would do a lot of soul searching to determine what you want both personally and professionally. You already mentioned that you lost interest in architecture so that is something to take very seriously given that many people drop out of the field if they don't have passion to sustain themselves.

Someone mentioned getting a real estate license...that could be interesting, but you'd have to keep in mind that it would require taking courses and an exam, which can be costly too. I just got my real estate license, but the process was much simpler because I waived out of the course requirements with my JD...otherwise, I don't know if I would have pursued it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Update: spoke to DH...he agreed that it wouldn't be a great idea to pursue straight architecture if you already don't love it. Some paths that are directly related to your degree though could be interior design, graphic design, and animation if you enjoy those.
  • Options
  • Options
    Like people said, it's not too late to figure out your path! Don't worry too much...but the fact that you're worrying shows that you have the drive to get where you want for your family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"