Baby Showers

E-vites?

MIL and SIL have offered to do a shower and want to do e-vites instead of mailing invitations. Something about this doesn't sit right. Do I suggest they send out traditional invites or are e-vites considered acceptable?

Re: E-vites?

• Evites are tacky and horribly cheap.  If a person is going to invite a person to a gift giving event, the least they can do is send out a real invitation.  Also, not everyone uses email or checks theirs every day (thinking older people here).

This is what I was thinking. If I were getting e-vites for things in would never show up because I don't religiously check my e-mail.
  • Loading the player...
  • :scream: oh dear...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• No. Nope.
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • If they don't care about the headcount whatsoever, and want to have an extremely casual free-for-all, then e-vites are the way to go! But, yeah, just like when they are used for any other event, very few people will even pay attention to it, and those who do will just click "maybe." So, really, why bother?
  • I hate them, especially for gift giving events. How are guests supposed to know who in the household is invited since you can't address the envelope? Inevitably, there will be people without email, those whose invitation gets sent to spam, and those who forget they ever received an invitation.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    No, evites are more for open-house parties where you don't care if some people never find out they were invited because they weren't religiously checking their email. Plus if the evites are sent through a service (rather than directly from the shower host's personal email) there's a good chance it won't get past the recipient's spam filter.
  • Paper invites and no electronic invitations of any kind (i.e. evites) was my one and only request for my shower hosts.  Besides being tacky, I wanted a keepsake invite for my bridal & baby showers.  Having said that, I have received evites for showers before.
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Evites (not emails!) are entirely modern and appropriate. They are environmentally-friendy and efficient, not cheap! Many companies make very beautiful evites, with envelopes and RSVP cards. And I wouldn't worry that people won't check their email, everyone does, even our 97 year old grandmother! This is (almost) 2015!

I can't believe how few people are in favor of them!
  • I did them for my 200 person wedding, every single person opened it and responded. The good sites (which aren't free btw) track delivery, receipt and read status of the messages so you can follow up if your invite ends up in someone's trash.
  • I have a phone and a computer that all of my email goes to. With tht said my iPhone is telling me I have 394 emails to check. Will I ever read them? Probably not. I don't even like giving my email to anything somewhat important on the chance they want to email me and not call or mail me something.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • stephanieseestephaniesee member
    edited January 2015
    I've received really pretty evites for 30th bdays and bachelorette parties. I'm old fashioned in the sense that I believe actual invitations are the way to go for showers and weddings (edit). Much classier and it can be a little sneak preview into the theme, how to dress, and the overall feel. Evites don't really scream "personality"
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image   image
  • What a nice and non judgmental bunch you are!

Personally, I think scoffing at the way someone throwing you a party wants to invite people to it is a hell of a lot tackier than sending invites via email.

@BubblesMartin‌ I'm sure your questions were sarcastic by your second comment, but if you care, everyone on our list used email. We considered printing and mailing a few for elderly guests but In the end it wasn't necessary. Everyone responded and the same amount of people we expected to come came.

You may all be more old-fashioned and traditional but email invitations are the future. Get with it! Welcome to 2015 :)
  • Just offering a different opinion @Whitfry‌, no tears here :)

• I'm glad I don't have any friends like you @ladycersei‌ who value a piece of paper that ends up in the trash over friendship!

While giving a gift at these events is customary, they are truly about celebrating the mother-to-be/bride/happy couple. It's baffling that you would not celebrate someone who loves you enough to want you to be there for such a trite reason.

Do you also decide how much to spend on a gift based on how much you think was spent on the party?
  • edited January 2015
    mrstps said:
    While giving a gift at these events is customary, they are truly about celebrating the mother-to-be/bride/happy couple. It's baffling that you would not celebrate someone who loves you enough to want you to be there for such a trite reason. Do you also decide how much to spend on a gift based on how much you think was spent on the party?
    Weird quote thing happeneing...

@mrstps So you want people to spend time and money to attend a party to celebrate YOU and you can't even be bothered to send a formal invitation? It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, e-vites for weddings are horrifyingly tacky. You *might* be able to get away with it for a shower, that really depends on your social circle... but just because people don't tell you to your face that you're being tacky doesn't mean they aren't thinking it! DH and I were invited to a wedding once via Facebook invite (the thought of it still makes me ill). We attended the wedding because it was for family and we would NEVER say anything to the bride's face, but that doesn't mean we didn't seriously talk shit about it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For the record, I absolutely agree that a facebook event invite or message is for a formal event is tasteless.

However, sending a beautifully designed online invitation via a site like paperless post is exactly like a printed invitation minus the environmental waste, which definitely isn't tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"