Working Moms

s/o fun spending: stupidly expensive accessories

So I feel like buying myself something pretty b/c of all of the extra shifts I've been doing. I'm thinking a new purse/bag. What's your opinion on expensive things...would you get a classic colour (black, cognac) or something bright and fun (there's a colour on the Coach website called "lindenberry", or the bone colour which seems fun in that it's not my usual black)? On the one hand, a neutral is nice to wear with lots of things, but at the same time, is it more fun to have something fun and colourful?

I don't have any expensive purses so this would be a "first" big purchase for me, which you can probably tell by now since it's my second post about buying things this morning!

Re: s/o fun spending: stupidly expensive accessories

• My advice is if you want fun, get fun! I'm a purse whore. I have about 5 Coach purses, both fun and practical. I would not recommend a very light color, though, because if you're like me, when your expensive bag starts showing dirt, you will be angry. Like "For $400, you can't clean yourself??" I have a bright yellow one I love, but it gets dirty really fast.
  • My bigger everyday handbags tend to be practical colors and style.  If I want something fun I opt for the smaller, less expensive styles, like not much bigger than a wristlet.  This is so personal but what makes me happy is being able to pull together an outfit with relative ease.  Finding an outfit that goes with a super colorful bag on a daily basis would not be easy for me, and therefore would not make me happy.   That said I wanted a tote style bag and decided to go for the bright red Kate Spade.  But it wasn't leather and I got it at an outlet for under $50. What's funny is that I get lots of compliments on it.  It is practical as hell as I can throw in some water bottles, a change of clothes for DD, a snack and my wallet, zipper it closed and it looks quite nice.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd vote for color especially if it's a color that still goes with most things.  My early Christmas present was a Michael Kors purse in a dark turquoise.  I love it and I'm happy that I went with a fun color.  I carry it to all of my work meetings and it still looks professional while also being fun (and so pretty).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I used to love to watch "What Not to Wear" - Stacy and Clinton always talked about adding something to an outfit that provides a "pop of color", so I would go with a color that you like.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2014

I almost always opt for color, personally.

If you want a neutral, my professional opinion (I work in the fashon accesory industry-- footwear specifically) would be to chose any neutral aside from black - so grey, tan, dark brown, taupe, navy, ivory etc.

Black only goes with other neutrals, and it can look really heavy in the spring next to your lighter, springier clothes and accesories.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Maybe it depends on what you wear. I LOVE bright colors and spent a year hemming and hawing over buying a fancy Michael Kors bag, but couldn't decide what green/blue/turquoise to buy. I ended up buying a grey that goes with practically everything, since I wear so much color in my clothes that the purse was bound to clash with a bunch of things. I haven't regretted my choice a bit. So I vote for a neutral that's not a basic, boring black.
    imageimageimage
  • I splurged on a Coach purse a few years ago, after getting a huge bonus.  I chose a fun color--kind of jade green.  I love it, and it makes me happy whenever I carry it.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • It depends.  If you went for the funky one, would you know how to wear it well?  I have two coach bags.  One was given to me as a gift and the other I purchased using a gift card.  Both are more neutral colors.  I don't accessorize well AT ALL so as much as I was tempted to get a fun color, I went for neutral because I wouldn't know what to do with a colorful one.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @beaubecca I might end up buying some running stuff instead. I'd love to get a new bag, but as I'm shopping online I realize I'm not ready to commit to anything yet!
  • I hate switching purses out so I would opt for whatever you would use everyday (which might be a crazy color - because why not?). 
  • I have a bright blue Coach purse that I carried every day for years.  If you want something fun but neutral, metallics are a great option (thank you "What Not to Wear" for teaching me that metallics count as a neutral!)
  • I got a new Coach for Christmas - so I didn't select it, but love it.  It's dark tan with a crimson trim.  Coach does a lot of colored piping, which to me is a great way to get the color pop without the commitment to a brightly colored bag.

And the prices....we live 10 minutes from a Coach outlet.  Maybe that makes me a little jaded on price, but it's worth it if there is an outlet near you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"