March 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding need some practical advise

so I would love to breastfeed my new bundle of joy, but I'm not confortable with doing it infront of people besides my husband. I also am planning to go back to work 6-8 weeks after baby comes. So then I have an abundance of questions about pumping and trying to get enough milk while commuting to/from work then at lunch. I work in a very small office and again am not confortable excusing myself to pump. I'm looking for others who might have overcome some of these reservations and recommendations.

Re: Breastfeeding need some practical advise

• Options

This forum is dedicated to breastfeeding.

https://forums.thebump.com/categories/breastfeeding

For suzyq0525

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ruemorganruemorgan member
    edited December 2014
    I think youll get over it by just doing it. If its what you really want, youll make it work. Theres not too much advice anyone can provide you about being self conscious other than cover up or excuse yourself to another room. And if you have questions about breast feeding then I think the breast feeding boards would be a great place to start.

Eta I knew I wanted to know more but had no idea what questions to ask. Ive joined a breast feeding group on facebook and I love seeing the random questions people ask and all the answers. People also post pictures sometimes so its also helped me understand what a good latch looks like. So that has been a great resource for me.
  • Options
    I never got over my reservations about breast feeding in front of people. I was comfortable around H then slowly became comfortable around my mom, sister & gma. If we were out somewhere like my IL's I'd excuse myself to a room and BF. I had a pumping & feeding schedule, so the anticipation of feeding or pumping helped me. I did not go back to work for a while after DS was born so I didn't have to worry about pumping at work.
    I had a period of time when I was producing so much, I pumped and stored a lot! So maybe try and pump & store when you're on ML incase your supply slows down when you go back to work.
    My husband commutes to work and says he's seen women with the pump bra on and the double pump attached to themselves. I give those ladies so much credit.
    You won't know how you feel until you start doing it though.

#1 BFP 11/6/12 EDD 07/19/13 Delivered 07/23/13 - Baby boy Everett John

#2 BFP 07/06/14 EDD 03/12/15

• Options
    I was a very modest person before BF. You get over it very quickly when your baby is hungry. It's not sexual and you have to get over that mental block. But I will admit at first I was weirded out by feeling I was "on display". But after a few months my DD would not tolerate a nursing cover so you suck it up because your kid needs to eat, and I will NEVER feed my baby in a bathroom.

I've BF in front of male family members, in restaurants (at the table), heck even on an airplane sitting in a middle seat between total strangers.

It may help you to get nursing tops with the peekaboo slit for your nipples. I used those a lot when going out in public and felt very comfortable. Basically the only part of your breast that is exposed is in the baby's mouth so you wouldn't be exposed at all and anyone would have to be a supreme douchebag to have an issue with seeing that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I feel your anxiety about this. I'm not ashamed of my body at all, but I'm not an exhibitionist either. I also teach and I do not get breaks. My one planning time is from 7:30 to 8:15 in the morning and I get a 15 minute lunch break with the kids while I am on duty. I have no idea how I will pump and continue bf while on the job.... My room is also used as a hallway so i do not have privacy at all. Just do the best you can for as long as you can. That's all anyone can ask of you.
  • Options

I feel your anxiety about this. I'm not ashamed of my body at all, but I'm not an exhibitionist either. I also teach and I do not get breaks. My one planning time is from 7:30 to 8:15 in the morning and I get a 15 minute lunch break with the kids while I am on duty. I have no idea how I will pump and continue bf while on the job.... My room is also used as a hallway so i do not have privacy at all. Just do the best you can for as long as you can. That's all anyone can ask of you.

My coworker pumped for a whole year! It's really stressful, but she managed. Her schedule went something like this: pump before the kids, pump at recess, pump during lunch, pump at the end of school. She carried a mini cooler for her milk everywhere she went. Also, the school is SUPPOSED to offer you an area to pump, as well as a "break time". If they do not, contact HR.
  • Options

I feel your anxiety about this. I'm not ashamed of my body at all, but I'm not an exhibitionist either.

Word choice, it matters.

THIS

is not

THIS
    I think she was just comparing two extremes, not necessarily saying that breastfeeding is form of exhibitionist(ism) I could totally be wrong though...
  • Options
    KD32412 said:

I feel your anxiety about this. I'm not ashamed of my body at all, but I'm not an exhibitionist either.

Word choice, it matters.

THIS

is not

THIS
    I think she was just comparing two extremes, not necessarily saying that breastfeeding is form of exhibitionist(ism) I could totally be wrong though...
    That was the way I read it, also. Maybe we both read it wrong, but I just thought she meant she wasn't ashamed of her body but that she wasn't someone who would just lay it all out there either. I hesitate to even post this BC I don't want someone to jump down my throat--but we have plenty of crazies who post truly offensive stuff, no need to go crazy on someone who seemingly didn't say what people assume she did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"