March 2015 Moms

Something about baby shower

Feel kinda bad about the baby shower thingy, all my friends and co workers asked if I have one, coz they want to participate, but seems like no one want to host for me. I wonder if it's weird if I am the host? I actually kind of enjoy planning parties. (Because before I got pregnant, I always host party at my house, but seems like traditionally I'm not allowed to host my own bb shower?) I kind of feel bad coz it seems like I don't have a BFF that's willing to do it... (My BFF at work [who everyone thinks she should b hosting] is not really a party-hosting kind of girl, and she already said no to it.] sigh... I want one, but I feel like I won't get one....

Re: Something about baby shower

• https://forums.thebump.com/categories/baby-showers

^This forum is all about baby showers.

It is considered tacky to throw your own shower as it is a gift giving event. Not everyone gets a shower and that is okay.

For suzyq0525

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• No, you can't host or plan your baby shower. Sorry there's not anyone stepping up to do it. Go ahead and make your registry (to organize what you want and also for the completion coupons) and if anyone HAPPENS to ask you what you would like or asks if you need anything you can tell them where you are registered.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Did I fall into the Twilight Zone?
  • No. Just no. If someone wants to throw you a shower, then great. But you do not host or throw your own. Tacky schmacky.
  • You could always host a "sip & see" party after the baby is born thou I don't know if it's customary for people to bring gifts to that ?? I would ask the baby shower board they know there stuff. But you can't host your own baby shower.
  • @yangooo‌ I agree hosting your own shower isn't appropriate. I was wondering doesn't your mother, MIL, sister, SIL, close cousin, or even Aunt want to host a baby shower for you? In my family the baby shower is a surprise to the mother to be, and is held about three weeks before the due date because of superstitious reason. What does your culture or family traditions state? If you really want to have a shower, why not ask your best friend to host and you do the planning? But throwing your own shower isn't proper.
  • You can make a registry, but no you can't host your own shower. It's incredibly tacky.
  • Thanks everyone. I guess I won't have one then, because I agree it's odd to host my own, it seems too desperate. I guess it's because so many people asked me this question, even my former boss. And I seems like have a lot of friends and love hosting party, so everyone assume I will have one.

@marthah05‌ : I'm Asian, so in our culture we don't have baby shower, we don't give gifts, but cash. (LoL) so my mom (who lives miles away) or my MIL,etc, I bet they don't even know what a shower means...

By the way, sorry, I don't know there's a shower board. :/
  • I'm sorry that no one has offered to throw you a shower. But it is absolutely not ok to host your own, or to ask anyone else to do it. 

What is the tradition in your culture when it comes to welcoming a woman to motherhood or celebrating a new baby? Maybe you can host a meet the baby (or Sip & See) party after your baby is born? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @yangooo‌ Maybe your coworkers are asking you about a shower because they are thinking of throwing one for you? Also, I agree with the previous posts, do not throw your own shower. Just wait and see, you might be surprised! And if not, just look forward to your happy and healthy little baby :smile:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"