Cincinnati Babies
Options

Help brainstorming about childcare during L&D in Dayton

DH, DS (2 years old) and I just moved to Dayton a couple weeks ago. I'm due on Jan. 15th. We know NO ONE in the area. He's met his coworkers, of course, but in a weird twist of fate, most of the coworkers our age in his group are out on paternity leave right now! All of our family is a 12 hour drive away, in Kansas, and live about 2.5 hours from the airport. So, very unlikely they will make it here in time for the birth if they leave when I go into labor. Which wouldn't be a big deal, except that we have no one to watch DS while I'm in labor/delivering his baby sister. I can't think of a single person from home that would be able to just come stay for a couple weeks in case I go into labor. I've lay awake in the middle of the night the last three nights stressing about this...the thought of not having DH in the L&D room with me scares the hell out of me. But I have no idea what to do! Any ideas? Anyone familiar with the area have any ideas? Here are the only ideas I've come up with so far: 

1) Ask my Dr. if there are any daycare options associated with the hospital (Miami Valley). 
2) I'm on NextDoor for my neighborhood (it's an app like Facebook except limited to the neighborhood). I was thinking of posting on there asking if anyone would be willing to help? It's not the best neighborhood, but it's not bad either. But that seems a bad way to introduce myself to the neighborhood..."Hi, how's it going, hey who wants to watch my kid for me?"
3) Post an ad on care.com and see if anyone is interested. I've never used that site before, so any feedback about it would be welcome. 

Any other ideas that anyone has are soooooo welcome! Like I said, we just moved here and so far I get lost every time I leave the house, so I haven't even really explored the area. 

Re: Help brainstorming about childcare during L&D in Dayton

• Options
    Hi! I don't really have a good suggestion, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation either. The ad on care.com sounds like a good idea. Welcome and GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Care.com is probably your best option! You can even do background checks and read reviews of sitters through their site (using the paid option). And you can set up an ad for that exact reason you mentioned and why you need a sitter. I'd be willing to bet you get quite a few applicants.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You'll get a lot of responses from care.com. there are tons of students from the local university (Wright State) who applied to my add. Ended up being too expensive for me but the candidates were high quality. There is also 1 24 hr daycare on the spores I think. Might be worth looking into.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the responses! What is the spores?
  • Options
    I have no idea haha. It's supposed to be city.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Gotcha! Thanks for the recommendations. One of the nurses at my doctor's office said there was a daycare called Mini University right next to Miami Valley. Anyone ever heard of it? 
  • Options
    narbuckle01narbuckle01 member
    edited December 2014
    Mini U is one of the best in the city, in my opinion and after my research the best. Tuition is based on income. The more you make the more you pay. My husband works at the hospital right across the street. Because of the reviews and the location it was our #1 choice... until we found out the price. We're fortunate enough to make a great combined salary, the tution was absolutely outrageous. Instead Autumn will be going to a local church daycare 2-3 days a week (DH has a weird schedule and can watch her other days).

@mrscatfarmer13 thanks for asking! I'm better the past two days. The first 7 days were full of lots of tears. I expected immediate attachment as soon as she came out but it was slow coming for me, especially because we has a hard time bf - ing and she ended up getting really dehydrated and subsequently very unhappy. I found myself in a scary cycle of resentment which made me feel even worse because she was my daughter! We're in the swing of things now and I think the baby blues are slowing down. I'm still supplementing a couple bottles a day with formula but I like the help from DH. Biggest issue we have now is finding a bottle she likes that doesn't give her gas. We've gone through Nuk, MAM, tommee tippie, and Dr Brown. I just ordered a como tomo that should be here tomorrow...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @narbuckle01 - I was so disappointed DS only wanted the Tommee Tippie for supplementing. I'd gotten both a Como Tomo and a Mimijumi and was so excited to try them.

I called Mini U, they sounded great, but they're only open from 6-6 (and who knows if my labor will stay within that schedule) and their drop-in program is first-come first-serve, only as space allows, and the director said that they're very full with enrolled children right now so in the last two weeks she's only had room for one or two drop-ins. So I put a thing on care.com. So far only one response sounds promising...the rest have been a little scary...
  • Options
    @peckmiranda You definitely have to do a lot of sifting through your care.com apps. Some of them will be like 16 year old girls and others will be scary in other ways. But you'll come across some that are worth your while in following up on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ahare2009ahare2009 member
    edited December 2014
    I'm not sure where you live, but there is a daycare in Centerville called Kidz Watch.  They are open 7 days a week and have pretty open hours.  We normally have a sitter that watches LO in her home, but she is on vacation the next two weeks.  He is going there the next two days and so far so good. They just opened in September, so everything is still new.  It is in the CrossPointe shopping center by 675.

eta:  They have full-time, part-time, full day, and hourly rates.
    imageimage

• Options
    @mrscatfarmer13  Our nurse actually suggested that. She's always impressed by how good he is in the stroller during my appointments, so she said to just bring a playpen and some toys. I checked with Miami Valley, and they said especially if we get the family suites, siblings are welcome in L&D. But she did say that nurses would NOT step in with help and if it ended with a c-section, he couldn't be in the OR. But yes, that is a worst case scenario if I can't find anything else and I really don't think it'd be that awful. 
  • Options
    @peckmiranda‌ are you delivering at south or downtown? I just delivered downtown two weeks ago and it was great. The room was huge and we stayed in it about three hours after birth. I can't imagine why the sibling couldn't stay there. Except that my husband was asked to be pretty involved in the labor and would not have been able to care for a child while helping. I guess every birth is different and if there had of been a child in the room then another nurse would have just come in to help. Unless your opposed to it, it sounds special to have the sibling in the room during birth.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @narbuckle01 I'm delivering downtown. Did you do Family Beginnings? I just did the tour last night and found out you have to take classes to do Family Beginnings. I'm supposed to be meeting with my doctor tomorrow to see if he's going to support me doing Family Beginnings or if I should just do the regular room, but I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and don't think I have time to take the classes. But it sounded like the regular rooms were still nice! 
  • Options
    I used to work at MVH. I've seen a lot in L&D and some people have brought small children into the unit. If you do so, I would highly recommend having someone on hand besides your DH to help care for the child. And if you are going to do that.... I recommend just finding someone you trust to do that at your house. 

Have you found a local church? That could be a great resource. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • Options
    @peckmiranda‌ if you do family beginnings you don't have the choice of an epidural. This was my first child and I was wanting the choice available if needed (thank goodness because I ended up on Pitocin and only lasted 4 hrs without an epidural!) Are you a first time mom? I recommend the classes anyways. We took the 4 week birth series, breastfeeding class and infant care class. The care class was a joke, skip that one; but the other two are great. The teacher is super annoying but the info is worth i!

And if you're 38 weeks you don't have time for the classes. If you're still interested in med free the regular rooms are great. Birth balls, birthing tub, large room and you can walk if you're not on a monitor (actually they have two wireless monitors you can request too- DD was hard to monitor so I couldn't use it).

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Happy to help or chat if you like!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @af2004rn Thanks for the advice, but we have NOBODY here that we trust yet. We just got here a month ago and really haven't met anyone. The only reason we're even considering taking DS to L&D is if we have no other choice. 

@narbuckle01 Not a first-time mom here. Yeah, I just found out I can't do Family Beginnings because I'm a VBAC. Even if I wasn't a VBAC, I wouldn't have been able to do it because I was waaaay too late to take the mandatory classes. But my doctor assured me that I can do everything the same in the regular rooms. The only reason I really wanted Family Beginnings is for the chance that DS will be accompanying us. But my dad will be here until Sunday, so I'm really crossing my fingers I go into labor between now and then! I might be going and walking the mall tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"