April 2014 Moms

Carseat Questions

Over 22lbs and 85th percentile in height.  Can we upgrade to a new carseat?
If so, what are your recommendations and why?  I want to buy one, but I'm always lost in a sea of questions

Re: Carseat Questions

• What Dani said, you can upgrade anytime as most (all?) convertibles could be used from the beginning - some people done use the infant carriers at all.

We just installed our convertible seat - Recaro Performance. It's taking some getting used to, it was really convenient to buckling him in inside while getting everything ready, but have to do it at some pond, right?!
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think if I did it all over again I would hesitate to use a carrier at all, we liked that it clicked into both cars and stroller in theory but in practice he rode in dad's car 95% of the time, and we stopped using it in the stroller and just buckled him into the main stroller several months ago. We are looking at a convertible that is rear facing until 40lbs cause he's a bigun' and is a booster until 120lbs.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a chicco nextfit for my our 2 yr old. It's easy to install rearfacing; a little more difficult foreward facing due to the tether strap. Fairly easy to buckle the child in but some people have trouble with the shoulder straps. It does accommodate larger children. Fits well in smaller cars (fits in my neon) if you aren't too tall (can't touch the seat in front of it). It actually takes up less room front to back than the chicco keyfit 30 infant carrier. We plan to get another one for our dd.
  • We have the Graco myRide 65 with dd too. Switched to it around 9 months but she was way smaller than DS is now-maybe around 16/17 lbs?
    For now I'm fine keeping DS in the bucket seat since it's winter, and I don't want to worry about carrying him into/out of the car on slippery/icy sidewalks.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Our convertible seat is good starting at 5 lbs. We just switched DD out of the carrier into it today.
  • We have the Diono Radian RXT. I looooove it! Extended rear facing for 45lbs. It's pricey though. I bought ours from Amazon.

https://us.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt
  • I LOVE our convertible seat. We have the EvenFlo Procomfort Symphony DLX from Target. It installs so quickly using latch, has a couple different reclining settings, and has gel in the seat so it's wicked comfortable. I switched her around 7 months but she still uses her infant seat occasionally she we ride in someone else's car.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have the safety first complete air 65 for both kids and we absolutely love them! Installs great with the latch system, they are really comfortable. Rear face til 40 lbs, forward face til 70. It's a little big for having 2 in the backseat but we rarely have a 5th person in the car.
    We moved Chase at 8 months when he was 22lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Complete-Convertible-Seabreeze/dp/B00BH0QOW0
  • We just switched to a convertible because outgrew the infant seat due to height.  We went with the Recaro Performance too, and so far, so good!  I drive a Camry, and there's not a ton of space, but it fits fine and he loves sitting up more.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are lots of great seats. Some last longer than other rear facing but unless your baby is high percentiles for height and weight it probably won't make a huge difference to you. The nextfit is my favorite but we have mostly gracos due to cost.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey! @bootsiebabe :)

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and suggestions!

@rrrrrachel J is definitely in the 85th percentile height/weight.  We'll hopefully take him to Target this weekend to 'try' out a few :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"