August 2015 Moms

cerclage and progesterone shots

I had my first appointment today complete with an ultrasound. Everything looks good, baby is measuring at 7w5d which is a few days less than we thought it should be (8w2d) but my doctor ist concerned. I probably just ovulated late.

Anyway, she is recommending that I get a cerclage done. Even though what happened to me before was clearly preterm labor with no signs of cervical incompetence, she wants me to get it just to be on the safe side. Also, starting at 16 weeks I have to go in every week for a progesterone shot. She said they are super painful but super effective.

Have any of you ladies ever had a cerclage? What can I expect from it?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: cerclage and progesterone shots

• No personal experience with either. But I would do a little more research on the progesterone shot. I think the one ob I work with said it will work on 1 in 4. I think it also depends on what caused the preterm labor last time.
    _____August BMB January Siggy Challenge___
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC#1 09/2011 * BFP 12/1/13* DD born 08/02/13 // TTC#2 10/2013 * BFP 12/22/14 * EDD 08/30/15

Anniversary

• My dear friend had one, due to cervical incompetence. I've not heard of it being used for any other reason, but I'm also not a medical professional. Sorry I don't have more information, but I wanted to say good luck to you, and glad baby looks good!
  • Loading the player...
  • No experience here but you should definitely check out the High Risk board, I'm sure many of those ladies will be able to help you.  Good luck!
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• My wife almost had to have one due to her cervix shortening. They found out at our 18 week anatomy scan. They did weekly u/s until week 23. Once we made it to 24 weeks we were breathing easier but still scared to have a micro premmie.
    From what we researched and were told cerclages have to be put in before 23 weeks, ideally around 16-18 if I remember correctly, and before there is any significant funneling or opening of the cervix.
    Once in, they stay in to usually 37 weeks. After its removed you may or may not go into labor. There are also cervical measurement guidelines for when they should place one.

I'm glad your dr is on top of this. Cervical length was never on our radar with her pregnancy we were just so worried about the baby.
    This time around with me we are all over my cervix! My mantra with her was long, strong, and closed.

Good luck.
  • I know there are a few ladies on PgAL that have one, so you may get some good information over there.

TTC since July 2012 
    BFP 5/22/13. Lap. to remove ectopic and dx with endo. 6/16/13

RE consult: June 2014

DX: FVL, endo, hypothyroidism, blocked left tube

Oct. 2014: First treatment cycle: Clomid+trigger+IUI=BFN

November 2014: Clomid+trigger+IUI again=BFP!

BFP 11/28/14 MC discovered 1/14/15

Blogging to stay sane

• My cousin's wife had to have a cerclage with both her pregnancies, but I don't know much more than that. A friend of mine is on the weekly progesterone shots because her son was premature. Both are commonly recommended when preterm labor is a concern for different reasons of course. Without knowing your medical history (and without a medical degree) that is no way anyone here can make a true recommendation. If you trust your OB, then I would trust your OB and do what she recommends. If you don't trust them, then I might seek a second opinion and see what they say.
  • I am unfamiliar with cerclage but I know that when I was recommended to start progesterone I was given a few options; pill, shot, or vaginal. I take the pill every night and I didn't get any of the side effects I was warned about and it helps me sleep better. If the pill option is available to you, I recommend doing that. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am unfamiliar with cerclage but I know that when I was recommended to start progesterone I was given a few options; pill, shot, or vaginal. I take the pill every night and I didn't get any of the side effects I was warned about and it helps me sleep better. If the pill option is available to you, I recommend doing that. 
    From my understanding the pill is the least effective method for progesterone. Not saying there is anything wrong with doing it that way if it works for you. I actually took oral progesterone supplements with my first pregnancy. Vaginal is second and the shot is the best for actually getting it into your system. Typically the pills and suppositories are more common for first trimester when waiting for the placenta to take over but the shot is typically what is recommended later in pregnancy for trying to prevent preterm labor.
  • I definitely trust my OB 100% and if she thinks this is what I need then okay. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I just want sure what to expect from it. Your advice has been very helpful though, thanks everyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"