October 2014 Moms

What gives your life meaning?

I'm in an existential funk. What motivates you and/or gives you the most satisfaction in life?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What gives your life meaning?

• Good question!  Hope your funk passes soon.  

1) My family 

2) I started going to church regularly 2/3 yrs ago.  Not so much for the religious aspect but mainly just to have an hour of reflection/quiet every week.  It helps me focus on what's important and trying to just be a better, more patient, nicer person.

3) Travel!  I've been feeling really stuck since baby so am trying to look ahead and plan a few little trips for 2015.  I love seeing and soaking in what the natural world has to offer as well as different cultures and ways of lif  
  • Loading the player...
  • Of course, my kids and the rest of my family.  I still feel like I haven't figured out what I'm supposed to be doing yet.  I do love my job (my main job as a personal trainer/functional movement instructor).  I'm also super interested in healthful eating and have been involved through church in getting people together to purchase and donate real food to needy families.  There are so many food drives and it's understandable that the food pantries can only accept non-perishables, but it's great to see fresh produce and meats get into the homes of people who can't afford it otherwise.  

My cup definitely runs over with blessings, but I also get an itch sometimes...like there's more to be doing, not more that I need, just something more I should be doing with my life!
  • The twins & my DH! My DH is super supportive & helpful! I don't know what I would do without him! He is my biggest cheerleader!
    My job (self employed) is also very satisfying in that we've been in business for almost 11 years now & we are doing great in an industry that has had a lot of lows in recent years!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • My family gives my life meaning. My career gives me satisfaction, as sad as I am to go back to work I am excited too!

When I'm feeling lost I always drive to the beach and use the silence to reflect and regroup.

Hope your funk ends soon!

• dredford said:

For me, meaning and satisfaction are two different questions and have two different answers.

What gives my life meaning is these two right here. They are the reason I do everything I do, even if it isn't satisfying to me. I do it because I love them and without them, I don't have a purpose. I don't mean that as in if they weren't here, I'd wouldn't want to be here but, in the sense that without them, I would probably just drift through life with no real goal. I would be a very selfish person, I think, and doing only things that satisfy me.

What gives me satisfaction is accomplishing tasks. Getting to the top of a bouldering problem. Finishing a puzzle. Organizing my craft room. Giving someone beautiful sculpted eyebrows. All of these things are extremely satisfying and make me happy but, without my people to do it for or with, it's all very selfish.image

Totally agree with this! Although I have no idea how to sculpt anyone's eyebrows. ;)

I find the best way to get myself out of a funk is to exercise. My body responds to endorphins.

I hope you feel better soon. The winter is hard for me sometimes too. Hugs!
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • I hope your funk passes soon.  This happens to me as well from time to time.  

My answer would be same as most.. my DD and my H.  They are what keeps me going day after day, otherwise I would wonder what the point is some days. Also as someone else said serving others.  I feel I am truly blessed in life and want to be a blessing to others and find joy in helping others. H and I have also started back at church, and its is just my belief that I am here to serve the Lord and to help others in some way not matter how big or small the deed. Very similar to what @Reasofsunshine1 said 

View Full Size Image
  • Creating. I'm a therapist and always encourage clients to make something, anything (a collage, a meal, a song, etc) so they can see physical proof that the world needs them.

I always need some kind of creative outlet even though what I make doesn't really have all that much significance.
  • This is hard to answer! I mean, yes, my DD and DH but she's only been around for 11 weeks (DH for 5 years) and I was motivated and satisfied before that.

My faith is probably the best answer. Because that's what I've built everything else on. And just having a picture in my head of what I want life to look like, and making it happen.
  • My kid, obviously :0)

I get a ton of satisfaction from my job. I think I am going to go through an identity crisis in 2 years when I get out of the Navy :0(

I also llloovveeee staying fit and working out and eating well. When I don't, I feel like crap in all aspects of life.

• This is hard to answer! I mean, yes, my DD and DH but she's only been around for 11 weeks (DH for 5 years) and I was motivated and satisfied before that. My faith is probably the best answer. Because that's what I've built everything else on. And just having a picture in my head of what I want life to look like, and making it happen.
    This too :0)
  • I love all the faith based answers. I've been in a little bit of a spiritual rut lately because we haven't found a home church that fits and stopped looking when DD was well on her way and now don't feel comfortable bringing her out too much.

I don't know what gives my life meaning, but I feel most happy and full when I am with DD, traveling and seeing the beauty that God has created, and finding ways to give to others.
  • I love when I complete a project. I don't care how big or small it is. If I'm in a funk I go to this big bin of sewing projects I have and pick something to work on.  Sometimes its just hemming or repairing a seam, but having a finished product that I can look at and say, I did that! Makes me feel good.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Right before my DD turned 2, I was holding her while we were looking in the mirror together and she tilted her head to the side and said "I happy." That.Right.There.

When your LO is a little older and squeals with delight when they see you or later when they say they love you, that is enough to give your life meaning. I was never a big kid person, still am not crazy about other peoples' kids but goddamn, do I love my kids. Even though sometimes I feel like I'm on a treadmill that never stops, I sniff my baby's head and remember why I'm on it.

I love my career too. I feel like I chose the absolute right one for me.
  • AmandaJean12AmandaJean12 member
    edited January 2015
    @shannonshare Totally in the same boat. I never settled into a church when I moved to MN, and for so long we thought we were moving, etc. so I kept putting it on hold. Now, dragging the baby out on Sunday seems hard. But I miss having one.
  • @shannonshare Totally in the same boat. I never settled into a church when I moved to MN, and for so long we thought we were moving, etc. so I kept putting it on hold. Now, dragging the baby out on Sunday seems hard. But I miss having one.

@AmandaJean12‌ I hope you find one in 2015! That is a goal of mine. It's so easy to just not search for one because you are living in the future (e.g. how you said you might move) and may not feel like putting in the effort for a short term community...that's how I've been...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"