October 2013 Moms
Options

Is your LO talking

Just curious how many of your LOs are on their way to talking/ saying words...
My LO was diagnosed with a lip tie this year and we will be getting it fixed come January 2015. We've been told this can cause a delay in speech. My LO occasionally says mama, da, yea, and no but is not consistent with them. A little worried but not too worried at this point.

Re: Is your LO talking

• Options
    LO has a few words (mama, daddy, Gemma, hi...) and animal sounds... Mostly still just a lot of babbling. We have noticed that she is picking up new letter sounds (w is the most recent) but it sounds like our kids are about at the same #of words. Hope that helps!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    A few words like mama and dada but honestly that's it. He does say "I did it". But that's all. He babbles A LOT but no actual words. He won't say no but he shakes his head no instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A few words; mommy, daddy, Cody (DS1), doggy, kitty cat, Santa, no, yeah, yay, Lorna (though more like Norna, it's our DCP).  They are not all perfectly clear but can be understood even by people not around the kids all the time.  he also barks, quacks, growls, and meows.

He also mimics some sounds and short phrases (like I love you).

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Not much. He says mama, dada, nana, papa, but even those are more like babbling. As in most of the time mama comes out like mamamama. He says yat for cat. DH and I were just saying that we remember DD speaking way more at this age, but he is killing her in the fine motor skills department. He's a lot more of a watcher and investigator than she was. We call him the little engineer. All kids are different and all of that.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    We still don't have any real words. However, she says Mom for when she wants things and mmmmmm for when she sees food she wants (so those are technically words but it's not that she calls me Mom) so it still counts at 2 words at their age.

She was notes to have a 60% speech delay by EI at 10 months. She finally started babbling in October!
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    he "talks" a lot, but it's still mostly babbling...I love that he thinks he's having a whole conversation with us though lol he has a few words like mama, dada, papa, he said doggie once and says baby sometimes...he's also working on "mmm tasty"
  • Options
    DD has about 60 words in her vocabulary and can sign (and say- she does them together usually) thank you, milk, more, water, and please.  We didn't really realize how abnormal this is until we talked to her pediatrician at her 15 month appt last week.  She knew about 10 words at her one year appt, and she continues to add new words almost daily.  Her ped says he sees a kid about once every two years with her speech abilities.
  • Options
    Daphne talks a lot and repeats after anything you say. She regularly says Mama, mom, dada, daddy, sissy, sister, nana, papa, puppy, doggie, cat, hat, thank you, look, what's that, I did it, Elsa, Minnie, Mickey, Olaf, hi, bye bye, fish, who's that, tree, hotdog, pasta, cheese, eat, egg, milk, water, cracker, cookie, pretty, statue, Santa, elf, etc. and she will repeat almost any word you say to her. Plus she constantly babbles
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We live in an average sized suburb.  I think people may be misreading the tone in my post.  Wasn't trying to be an AW or braggy, was just sharing what my kid is doing, like the rest of you were.  
  • Options
    Amjoy25 said:

"Gleeba" is all we can get out of her. For obvious reasons.

She going to be a scientist!!
  • Options
    We have one word so far, dog. I try not to worry about it and let him develop at his own pace, but then I read these threads!
  • Options
    Mine calls every animal we have "dog", says yay, oh no, uh oh, dad,hi, hey...thats it.  He will talk one day instead of babbling and angry shouting in german to me
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • Options
    DS says no words, just noises and points.

Personally I did not talk until I was 4. My little sister talked before I did. I was stubborn. I did have to see a speech therapist in grade school. I think it was by about 3rd or 4th grade was had caught up with everyone else. What I remember the most about it is that the speech therapist would give us colored marshmallows at the end of each session.

Short story.... I did have a speech problem and it all worked out ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    catycate said:

I am an early interventionist- I work with dozens of kids every month and I can tell you the range is huge. DD has 2 words now and babbles constantly. I have my own anecdotal thoughts on insanely early talkers but that would get Sooner'ed so fast so I'll keep it to myself!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the early talkers...don't bring it up if you won't talk about it!

imageimage    

• Options
    Like I said- it's totally anecdotal with no studies or papers or peer reviewed literature. But in my experience those that are truly speaking in sentences by 15 months ( and there are really few babies doing that, most moms are giving word credit for things that aren't words) tend to have both obsessive compulsive and anxiety issues, as well as delays in the social emotional domain. The furthest I follow kids is to 5, though so I couldn't speak to things down the line. Also we are talking about maybe 12 kids I've known to be extremely advanced in expressive communication, so not a large pool. It's just an observation myself and so e other therapists have made.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Does sign language count?  Because if not, we've got nothing except uh oh and yeah.  Yeah only comes after a sign and we ask for confirmation.

Signs she can do are please, all done, help, up, thirsty/drink, hungry, more, bird, frog, and elephant.

Also, this ribbon is making me all twitchy worrying which I totally wasn't before.

:(

• Options
    Oaklee tries to say our dogs name jojo it's cute. He is still doing mostly two letter sounds like papa, meme, mama, dada, bye,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    catycate said:

Like I said- it's totally anecdotal with no studies or papers or peer reviewed literature. But in my experience those that are truly speaking in sentences by 15 months ( and there are really few babies doing that, most moms are giving word credit for things that aren't words) tend to have both obsessive compulsive and anxiety issues, as well as delays in the social emotional domain. The furthest I follow kids is to 5, though so I couldn't speak to things down the line. Also we are talking about maybe 12 kids I've known to be extremely advanced in expressive communication, so not a large pool. It's just an observation myself and so e other therapists have made.

That's really interesting I had over 40 words by 1 and was deft speaking in full 3 word sentences at 10 months. IE - walking my grandma to the door and saying "Okay bye now" my mom said she thinks I thought my Mom would come back if she left. I have a very high IQ, ADD, and anxiety to go with it...lol so in my case it holds true.

@catycate‌
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Still some babbling but lots of short words (mommy, daddy, ball, cup, car, dog, hi, bye bye, etc.). I love the animal noises bc it shows she knows the difference between things. She just started repeating words this week so now they are flooding in. We'll deft have to start watching what we say. Her only 'sentences' have been "hi daddy" and "no nonna", if you count those.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• Options
    catycate said:

I'm really glad you said this isn't backed up by studies because the combo of "I'm a therapist" and "early talkers have issues" seems more than slightly irresponsible.

FTR, I spoke in actual sentences by a year. Discernable sentences. I've seen the video. I have a law degree and my biggest "social issue" is that I like cake but my imaginary friend assures me that this is ok ... ;-)
    Daniel ~ October 21, 2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"