January 2014 Moms

Choking/Vomitting Question

I had little silicone window clings on LO's window for Christmas, they were great because it was something for LO to gaze at during diaper changes. Last night my DH was putting on his pjs after his bath and said he got ahold of the HO from Ho Ho ho and he found the O but couldn't find the H anywhere and figured it fell behind the change table. Fast forward a couple hours, we had dropped off LO at my inlaws for the night as we were leaving this morning at 5 for the city for a day/night for our anniversary. I got a call around 12:30 saying LO was vomiting everywhere so I went and got him and brought him home assuming he caught the flu. My MIL texted me asking if he had little letters as when she was cleaning the sheets she found thrown up carrots and a little gummy "H". It all made sense now. I dont know how he got that down as it's about the size of a quarter but he did, and it came back up hours later. He threw up about 3 afterward, is this normal? I'm wondering if it just finally upset his tummy and had to come out. I'm glad it's out, especially since we didn't even know he had eaten it. He hasn't thrown up since 1, and it's not 6:30, he kept his bottle down so he's back at my inlaws and my DH and I are back on the road. He was all giggles this morning, just wondering if anyone has any experience with choking and Vomitting afterwards. I know he's in wonderful hands but the mama in me can't help but be a little worried.

Re: Choking/Vomitting Question

• amt0312amt0312 member
    edited December 2014
    We are pros at situation like this. DD gets her hands on all sorts of random items and then tries to eat them. She's getting better at not eating but rather spitting it out when she's done exploring whatever it is. She used to eat leaves like it was her job and would vomit immediately after or even hours later. The way she vomited would be pretty scary because it started as dry heaves for a minute or two until she could work up her stomach contents. It really seemed like she was choking. I would put her belly down and tilt her head downward to help things move along quicker. Sure enough, after inspecting the vomit, the culprit would be in there. She then went on as if nothing happened. Things like those silicone letters and leaves tend to get stuck in the esophagus and they will vomit them up according to our pediatrician. He didn't seem concerned about choking at all, though. Just said to monitor her and that babies will be babies. 

ETA: I'm not saying that babies are smart and that we shouldn't worry about obvious choking risks, but it seems to me that every time this has happened, her body just sort of did its thing as a protective mechanism.

• mamatoosh said:

I don't have any experience with this.  It doesn't sound to me like he choked though, just vomited because the letter upset his belly.  In my completely unprofessional opinion, if he got it out and has been fine for this many hours then you are probably over the hump and should try to enjoy your trip.

It's amazing the things they eat.  This morning my husband found a long hair half in/half out of LOs butt during a diaper change.  My husband was afraid to pull it lest we do some damage to his insides, so we trimmed it off with some scissors and hope the rest will make its way out today.  Pretty hilarious picture.  How that long hair made it through his system undigested is beyond me.

Your right, I should clarify, he didn't choke until it came up hours later. He has thrown up every couple hours since, I know the whole thing came out so I am not concerned that's anythibg still there as I don't believe anythibg should be left in his tummy from it but the still throwing up concerns me. If it keeps up I will take him to get checked out just for my peace of mind. Right now my MIL said he's sleeping and seems fine. My day hasn't gotten any better, DH and I just bought a new bed frame and as I was helping load it onto the truck my iPhone fell out and the screen shattered. Thankfully the phone still works but quite the anniversary celebration I'm having! I'm over my pity party now but thanks all for the advice, feedback. Much appreciated and I feel like I can now go on to enjoy the day, and maybe a drink! Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • mamatoosh said:

Agree that if he's still throwing up you should call the dr. I read your initial post as saying it stopped this morning.

Yup when I wrote it he hadn't thrown up, but my MIL said he did again at 7:30 this morning and a couple more times. We are almost home, cancelled our hotel as I wanted to get home to be with him myself. Will be calling doctor for sure once I can see him myself, we live in a small town and going to Emerg is usually the best way to get to doctor for an assessment, might be our plan. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the replies!
  • Our LO got ahold of my niece's letter magnet and threw it up. We were confident he threw it all up but we had an xray just in case. It ended up irritating the back of his throat and he was vomiting for a few days. We had to push small amounts of fluids to keep him from getting dehydrated. He also would refuse to eat . Once his throat felt better he started eating again. It was rough for a few days but We kept in close touch with the pediatrician. Good luck !! I hope your little one feels better!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"