March 2014 Moms

How to teach the meaning of "no"

First, Merry Christmas! Second, this week my baby has decided to be a willful toddler trapped in a baby's body. She wants to stand in the tub, roll over on the changing table, grab the dogs tail...but "no" makes her laugh. How do I teach her "no" to keep her safe? Anyone else starting to encounter this? What are you trying? She's probably a few weeks away from walking and then I'm in real trouble!

Re: How to teach the meaning of "no"

• Kewii said:

Redirection, redirection, redirection.

I don't think no is a concept LO gets yet. She's still a baby. So I redirect. I'm also wary of overusing no, so I'm not trying to force it. I want to save no for really important stuff so she doesn't tune me out when she hears it.

This and we also use the sign for no as we are saying it.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Loading the player...
  • We redirect too. And we say "no thank you" or "be gentle" depending on the behavior I'm trying to deter. I know he doesn't get it yet, but he will eventually. Consistency will be key.

I say no when she hasn't listened to any of my other word choices. I say be careful a lot, be nice (usually for the cats) and redirect her as much as possible. The main no is the cat food and water becasue we don't want to move it away from her we want her to learn no.

My aunt took her dogs water dish away completely instead of teaching her kiddo no....... Genius.
  • I just redirect.
  • I say "no" and redirect. Eventually he'll get it.

But mostly I set up his life so there aren't many things to say no about. There's a baby gate between him and the cat food and water, for example. We set up the bookshelves so all his books are within reach and we can allow him to pull them all out.

We say "no" when he goes for electrical wires or tries to tease the cats and that's about it.

....and yours has only JUST started rolling over during changes? Lucky! Mine has been doing this for months and months now....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ....and yours has only JUST started rolling over during changes? Lucky! Mine has been doing this for months and months now....

This!! Robert is a maniac on the changing pad. A maniac.
  • We try to use a lot of redirection, she generally chews anything in sight so I always have an alternative on hand for her to chew. Also we say things like "be gentle" when patting the dog and other animals. When she ignores us and tries again we use her name and a firm no and redirect her again. Usually that works. Once and a while we have to pick her up an physically move her.

For diaper changes we have a toy, socks or another cloth diaper for her to play with. And a sticker scene on the wall beside the change table and on the underside of the shelf above her (which she cannot reach) I point to a part of the mural and talk to her about it and that seems to distract her long enough for me to change her.
  • I agree with the redirection recommendations, we have toys in the drawer under his changing table and pull a "new" one out to try and distract him on the table. We've also started saying "No" and "No thank you" but we use a very different tone when we say it. Kind of like when we tell one of our dogs "no" - we use a lower, sterner tone. It definitely gets his attention, because he is very used to us using our playful lovey-dovey voice with him. It seems to be having the desired effect, he's already started pulling his hand away from the forbidden object (like wires in the TV stand, etc.) and he looks at us, and then sort of rolls to something else.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"