October 2014 Moms

PPD questions

I may have missed it but I didn't see a PPD check in. I hope it is ok to ask...

I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday morning to talk about me having PPD. DH and a couple friends made me call so I'm not feeling all that great about it. What do I tell the doctor? What should I expect her to do? She isn't a therapist so what can she really do?

I'm struggling. I know that. But I hate the idea of feeling like I gave up trying (I know that isn't the reality, it is just the perception).

Does anyone have any good resources or advice on what/how to prep for the appointment?
Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

Re: PPD questions

• Loading the player...
  • Good for you for taking this very difficult step toward health and happiness, for yourself and your family. Serious kudos. =D>

Also, ((Hugs)) Your feelings are not your fault, and you are a wonderful mother! Hopefully things will seem brighter once you've spoken with your doctor and found appropriate treatment and some good sources of encouragement.
    imageimage
  • ishknitsishknits member
    edited December 2014
    Just tell her what's going on and she can discuss some options. A lot of people go to their PCP for depression bc they may be uncomfortable seeking out a therapist so I think Drs are probably used to it. The dr may or may not prescribe medication. I've had drs refuse bc it's not their field and they want you in therapy (talk therapy plus medication is the best recipe for success). Others are comfortable to prescribe. I just wouldn't have an expectation that they will. If she's uncomfortable prescribing, but you want medication, let her know that it can take 4 wks to even get an appt with a psychiatrist (then 6 wks for meds to kick in) and she if she will.

After you talk to her and if you want to move forward, it might be worth it to call your OB office because they may have better resources for ppd, like a good therapist or psychiatrist. Finding a therapist that you like is like finding a needle in a haystack so your OB may be able to narrow the options down a little. And when looking for a therapist--- degrees don't necessarily matter-- you want a therapist who matches your personality-- it's like a relationship. I feel like if you don't connect than you may find them helpful but not life changing... And many should do a free consultation so you can feel them out (however they may only do this on the phone). Good luck!

Eta: psychiatrists prescribe, therapists don't. However, most psychiatrists are too busy to do talk therapy anymore and may not see you for a full hr and probably only once per month so you'll want to find a psychotherapist for talk therapy.
  • I don't have any advice but I just wanted to give you hugs. You aren't giving up. You are facing it and conquering it. :x
  • I agree that a psychiatrist is likely the best person to prescribe meds but I also know that they can be hard to get in to see and establishing a new relationship with a new provider can be a barrier like @ishknits said. A therapist would be great too but again, can be difficult to get in to see if you need help like, yesterday.

To make it easier to discuss, you might fill out a PHQ9 which is a very common tool used by a lot, probably most, clinics to diagnose and then assess the efficacy of meds/therapy. https://www.phqscreeners.com/  You could print it out and bring it in to discuss with the provider and they would know where you are really having problems plus it would serve as a discussion starter and might make you feel more comfortable than bringing up out of the clear blue.

You are doing the exact opposite of giving up.
  • Don't be afraid of meds if you need them. Made me feel SO much better and in control of emotions several times in the past.
  • I agree with PP posters that you are doing the opposite of giving up. It's easier to not get help than it is to get help. BTDT in the past and trying to figure out lately if I need it again. It's tough making that first step but if those around you who really know you see signs, it's probably there. Good luck!
  • Thanks ladies...I guess now you know why I went into hiding from TB. I just assumed (you, assumed) that since I didn't have a problem with my first that it wouldn't be a problem this time either. Silly.

You all are awesome.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• You are absolutely doing the right thing for you and your LO!  Your PCP will be the best person to refer you to someone who's good rather than trying to find someone on your own.  So glad you're taking this step...

I went through a bout of depression during my pregnancy this time around.  I finally went to talk with someone and just being able to admit to myself that I needed to talk with someone and actually doing helped me to feel so much better.  It could be that simple for you, and if it's not, you're in the absolute right place to have someone guide you through anti-depressants - another sign of strength, not weakness.  Best of luck to you and know that you're a strong Mama!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think therapy is a lot of work. But it is so worth it!!! I say that because therapy is far from giving up! It is ensuring a better life for you and your LOs.
    Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"