Baby Names

Mildred vs. Mary Madison

Hello, BNB! I'm a FTM, due in June. 

I'm in a bit of a predicament. My grandfather's name was Madison (yeah, remember when Madison was an old man name?). Pretty much my whole life, I've had the name Mary Madison picked out for a girl (as a double name-- I live in a part of Alabama with a sizable Catholic population, so double names for girls that include masculine and/or last names are very common here). Anyways, now that Madison is such a popular name, I'm not as sure that I want to use it.

My favorite alternative at the moment is Mildred. It's my grandmother's name and she is absolutely amazing. Seriously the most loving, selfless woman to ever live. But...the name Mildred... would my daughter hate me if I named her Mildred? I'm thinking NN would be Milly.
CW + KJ: 8.10.2013
1st Baby W Due: 6.25.2015
BabyFruit Ticker

photo e2a5dc19-be96-4d99-b2d6-da7922f6c601_zps08cbe34a.jpg photo 319d419c-5eb1-4d11-a435-225e0a3417f3_zps1ea6c8b4.jpg

Re: Mildred vs. Mary Madison

• I think Milly is very cute, but I wouldn't personally want the name Mildred. I don't think it's a terrible name, by any means though. I really do like Mary, and it's so underrated right now. I don't care for the double name personally, but I would like Madison in the middle spot.
  • Joy2611 said:
    Mary Madison LastName,no double first name. This would be my choice. I'd neeeeever pick Mildred. Madison is STILL a male name, by the way. It means "son of Matthew." No number of girls carrying the name will make it feminine.
    Oh yeah, Madison will never be anything but masculine...which is why I thought it was strange when so many little girls started having the name.

Also, to clarify-- her name would be Mary Madison LastName. No additional middle name, she would just be called by both names.
    BabyFruit Ticker

photo e2a5dc19-be96-4d99-b2d6-da7922f6c601_zps08cbe34a.jpg photo 319d419c-5eb1-4d11-a435-225e0a3417f3_zps1ea6c8b4.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • What about Mary Madison nn Mary Mae?
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• What about Mary Madison nn Mary Mae?

***Stuck in the quote box****

I don't hate it, but I think if I decide to shorten it, I'll just go with Mary. Or Eminem. (Kidding...sort of...)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I like Milly as a nn, but I don't like Mildred. I would go with Mary Madison.

• I'd stick with Mary Madison. You've planned on it forever and it has a great flow to it.
    All the Madisons I know go by Maddy anyway.
    DD1 has a double first name. I suggest putting Mary Madison in the first name spot and then leaving the middle name spot empty that way she has a true double first name and it's clear to people not from the South that she has a double first name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love family connection to Mildred and understand why you'd want to use it.  I don't think she'd hate you for it, for a similar reason, being named after someone so meaningful.

But as you said, it's a backup.  And I wouldn't let the popularity of Madison deter me from using it as a middle (albeit a double) name.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like Mary Madison. I say no to Mildred.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Mary Madison is very nice! Not a huge fan of Mildred, but it isn't the worst name I have heard by far. Millie is a pretty cute nn. I also really like Mary Beth. 5 syllables seems like quite a bit, so im sure it will shorten to Mary which is a refreshing, nice name!

• I also like the nn Millie but do not like Mildred. I'd go with Mary Madison.
  • My name is Mary Taylor. I've lived between va and nc all of my life and a lot of people assume Taylor is my middle name and just call me Mary. I don't like it so keep that in mind for your dd. I also know a little girl named Mary Michael who gets annoyed at people calling her just Mary.

That being said, I love Mary Madison and I also love Mildred so I'm not much help lol
  • I like milly as a nn but I'm not a fan of Mildred.
    I agree with some of the others, Mary Madison. Madison as the mn.
  • My name is Mary Taylor. I've lived between va and nc all of my life and a lot of people assume Taylor is my middle name and just call me Mary. I don't like it so keep that in mind for your dd. I also know a little girl named Mary Michael who gets annoyed at people calling her just Mary. That being said, I love Mary Madison and I also love Mildred so I'm not much help lol
    I agree with this completely.

I'm Mary-Kate, Though Kate is spelled with a C, and people always call me Mary. I do not go by Mary, and it doesn't fit me at all. I would just be prepared for people to call her Mary.

My Grandmother was Mary Catherine, and she went by Mimi. I think it works for your Mary Madison as well, b/c of the double Ms.

Also, in regards to Eminem, a lot of my friends call me M.C., and spell is Emcee, so I kind of like Eminem.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mom to P (12/7/10) Step-Mom-to-be to H (05/29/13)
    BFP 10/13/14 TWINS! 20 week loss of both twins, Scott Feivel and Miles Conrad
    BFP 06/19/2015 16 week loss, Penny June
    2015 Working with RI; Diagnosed with thrombopheiia and celiacs
    BFP 03/12/16 TWINS AGAIN! PLEASE BE OUR RAINBOWS
  • I think double names are very regional. When we lived up north people absolutely refused almost to call DD1 by her double name.
    Now that we are back down south, we have no issues; dance, preschool, church all use her double name.

• jburdet1 said:
    I think double names are very regional. When we lived up north people absolutely refused almost to call DD1 by her double name. Now that we are back down south, we have no issues; dance, preschool, church all use her double name.
    Definitely regional. H's grandmother, 2 of my SILs, my BIL, my mom, and 2 of my best friends are all double names. It's so common here that it's weird to me when people say they don't like them.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I LOVE Mary Madison (either as a first name or first and middle).  Sooo cute!  I don't really care for Mildred but Millie is really cute!
  • Mary
    Mildred makes me cringe
  • If I had to choose if my name was Mary Madison or Mildred, I would choose Mildred so fast! I think Millie is adorable!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"