Baby Names

How popular do you think Clara will be?

I've loved the name Clara for years. It was my grandma's name. Now that we're expecting baby #2 it's at the top of my list. But it seems to be rising pretty steadily in popularity. This wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have the most common last name in the US. I don't mind my kids sharing a name with others in their class, but sharing a first and last name can get complicated. So, how high do you think it will rise? Do you see it as the next Emma/Sophia? I know no one can say for sure, but I'd like to get some opinions.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How popular do you think Clara will be?

• I agree with PP, I don't think it is going to be in the top 10.
  • I love the name! I agree with PP, not top 10 at this time.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • It's a beautiful name. I don't think it will ever be an Emma/Sophia, etc. Maybe make it to 50 or so, but I don't see it making it that much further. It was my great grandmother's name and I think it's lovely and timeless.
    DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • Clara is beautiful! I don't see it being a Top 10 name anytime soon. 
  • I've never met a Clara and don't know any.
  • i love love love clara and am not concerned about it rising too high in popularity. now i just have to convince DH...

TTC #2 since 8/2012

IUI #1 April 2014: BFN

IUI #2 July 2014: BFN

IUI #3 August 2014: BFN

BFP: September 15, due May 22nd 2015

• I wanted Clara, but it was vetoed. *Sigh* I agree with the others though, I don't see it becoming the next big thing. I'm still waiting for Elsa and Katniss to take over the charts!

I also only know one little Clara, and she lives in the UK.

• I think Clara would be a little more popular in the UK because of the show Doctor Who. I think it sounds lovely :)

....................................................................................................................................... 

Big Sister Piper

Born at 37 weeks, strong NICU survivor

Friday, November 13th, 2009, 7:17 AM

Baby Brother Link

Born sleeping at 19 weeks with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

Sunday, March 2nd, 2014, 7:27 PM

.......................................................................................................................................

• I agree with PPs.  It's a lovely name, and I don't see it as the next Emma/Isabella/Sophia. 
  • I personally know 4 Clara's but they are all varying ages, so I don't think it's too trendy or decade-specific. It's a very pretty name though.
  • It's rising in popularity, but I don't see it being a top 10 name any time soon. I think it's in the 130's right now.

Question: do most people pronounce it CLAIR-ruh or CLAH-ruh? I know both pronunciations are legit, but personally I really like CLAIR-uh and really don't like CLAH-ruh.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Clara is our top girl pick currently. I agree with the others that it may continue to climb but probably won't be top 10.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Clara (CLAIRE-uh) is our top pick as well. First Daughter is Elleda after my grandmother.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think it'll become too popular, pockets of popularity for sure but not nationwide.
    I only knew one IRL, she was a really old insane lady and we pronounced it CLAIR-uh. I can see how people find the name attractive but she ruined the name for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"