Special Needs

More Questions!

You ladies are so educated on SN and very knowledgeable of your children. I feel like most of the time I do not understand this or my child. I quit my job to stay home with him to help work with him. I've tried activities we've went out and bought more educational toys but he does want to do it. He doesn't want to play with toys like he's supposed to he doesn't want to pretend play and when I try he just gets mad and thows a fit throwing stuff and kicking. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?!

Re: More Questions!

• So far it's speech 2xs a week and just started ot once a week.
  • He needs ABA/floortime/RDI. 
    Speech and OT will address the symptoms but not the underlying developmental disorder causing them.
    My personal preference is for ABA, it has done wonders for DD, for DD they are working on playskills as part of her social skills work in the classroom with NT peers. 
    This needs professional work, it's not something you can force the kid to do unless you know how to approach it correctly. Their brains are wired differently so need to be taught certain skills differently. 
    And there are often underlying skills and/or negative behaviors that have to be learned/addressed before more advanced skills (like interactive play) can be taught/learned.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok thank you for breaking that down for me. We are trying to get aba funded right now but it's been a drawn out process.
  • hopecountshopecounts member
    edited December 2014
    We are OOP for ABA, we are fortunate that our families are very supportive of DD and are in a position to help with the cost. 
    It has been worth every penny we've paid in the gains we've seen in the past year and a half. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's wonderful that your family is so supportive!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"